Preemies
Options

28 week success stories!

Good morning.  Yesterday at 28 weeks my membranes ruptured so it looks like my little ones are going to be here sooner than we thought. (Although hospital bedrest is attempting to buy us some more time) 

If anyone has any success stories or insight about babies born this early I would greatly appreciate it. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP #2 - 12/9/09 After being on bedrest for 10 weeks due to TTTS and hospital bedrest for 4 weeks due to PPROM, my sticky babies are here! Born at 32 weeks!!

Re: 28 week success stories!

• Options

Welcome to the board.  My son was born at 26 weeks.  He was in the NICU for 11 weeks mostly just growing and maturing.  He is now 4 and has no problems from being early. 

Have you had steroid shots?  I know that those made a huge difference for my son. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options
    I had pprom (preterm premature rupture of membranes) at 26 weeks and was not dialated nor having contractions and lasted 7 weeks and 2 days in the hospital and had a beautiful little girl at 33 weeks 1 day. She's 8 weeks old now and we were in the nici for 5 weeks, basically only as a grower feeder.Good luck and I hope you can keep those LOs in the oven longer!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DD #1 was born at 27 weeks, 6 days.  She spent 66 days in the NICU and had a pretty standard preemie course.  Today she has a slight gross motor delay and slight language delay and gets weekly therapy for both.  But, she's bright, funny, and a delight to be around. 

Also, ditto KellyMichelle, the steroid shots make a huge difference if you're able to get them...

• Options
    ayramayram member

Welcome!  My membranes ruptured at 27 weeks and 2 days.  DS was born 36 hours later at 2lbs 5oz.  He is currently 3 weeks old and almost 3 lbs.  He only needed the ventillator for 4 days (I agree with previous posters - steriod shots make a difference).  All the best!!

Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac
  • Options

I ruptured at 23w1 and had little to no measurable fluid until I delivered at 27w3d.  I was on hospitalized bedrest, receiving ridiculous amounts of antibiotics and frequent monitoring/ultrasounds.  DD is 10mos now and, aside from being small for her (actual and adjusted) age, she has no problems/delays that we currently know of.  She receives occupational therapy twice a month and is, so far, reaching milestones close to her actual age than to her adjusted.

We spent 109 days in the NICU, with all but the last two weeks on some form of oxygen (vent for two days, CPAP for two weeks, canula until her original due date).  We absolutely credit the steroid shots I received at 24wks - we expected her lungs to be terrible (and they may still be once we start daycare) but so far, so good.

Hopefully you can hang in there a couple of weeks - best of luck!

ETA:  DD was 2lbs, 3oz and 12.5"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD was born at exactly 28 weeks at 1 lb 11 oz due to sudden and severe pre-e.  She was in the NICU for 88 days and came home 2 days before her due date. 

You asked to hear about success stories - She is now 2.5+ and doing very well.  She is super bright and social.  She talks and sings all day long and constantly amazes us with the things she says and how she says them.  She loves books and 24 - 48 piece jigsaw puzzles.  And she is easy going.  Almost nothing phases her (I don't know how much of that is from her rough beginning or from her Dad - LOL - it certinaly isn't from me).

Her NICU rollercoaster included - vent for a day and a half, CPAP for a couple weeks if you add up all the time (she was on and off it), nasal cannula for a long time, temperature regulating issues, jaundice, suck/swllow/breathe coordination issues, need for blood transfusions twice, typical preemie apneas and bradys (I say typical but any preemie Mom will tell you they are terrifying no matter how typical they are), infections, NEC scares but no actual NEC, etc.  It was up and down and very stressful and emotional ... but the rollercoaster does end.  I also think that the steroid shots really helped her out!

I hope that your little ones stay put longer for you, but you've gottent hem to a great milestone!  28 weeks is really a good place developmentally if you're going to have to have PROM or PTL, etc.  Good luck to you all!

• Options

I had DD at 26 weeks exactly, due to severe pre-eclampsia. She was tiny and weighed 1l 4oz. She spent 16 weeks in the NICU, 6 of which she was on a vent. Other than that her NICU stay was pretty uneventful. She came home without any monitors.

Today she is a little over a year old and she is hitting all her milestones for her adjusted age and some for her actual age. Like PP sai I defiently recommend the steriods if you haven't gotten them already and that 28 weeks is a great milestone developmentally. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers!

• Options
    Lurking- I am 28w2d and my water broke more than 5 weeks ago and resealed. With bedrest you may be able to get many more weeks :-)
  • Options
    I had a pPROM at 27 weeks and my daughter was born at 28weeks 6days. She is doing wonderful.  She is happy, healthy, and having lots fun destroying our house.
  • Options
    I had a placenta abruption at 25 weeks 5 days and then my water broke at 26 weeks 6 days. I was on bed rest in the hospital until I had her at 28 weeks 3 days...she was 2 lb 5 oz and 15 inches long.  She spent 67 days in the NICU. I had 2 rounds of steriod shots which worked wonders-she was on CPAP for 2 days and then Vapotherm for about 2 weeks and was completely off all oxygen before she was a month old. We just got home 2 1/2 weeks ago and so far so good.  She had an uneventual stay in the NICU and she was there simply to grow and mature.  Good luck to you and your little one!
  • Options
    I forgot to add...she was 2 lb 5 oz and 15 inches long.  She was 7 lb even when we brought her home!
  • Options
    Brendan, in siggy, was born at 28 weeks 5 days. He will be 2 in ten days. Overall he did 58 days in the NICU, had severe reflux but now he is doing great.  He doesn't speak words yet but is receiving speech therapy.   He was 2 lbs 5 oz 15 inches long.  He came home at 4 pbs 8 oz.  :) 
  • Options
    DD was born at 28 weeks, 3 days weighing in at 2 lbs.  While she had a somewhat rough stay in the NICU & came home about 2 weeks after her due date, she just turned 1 year old & is the light of our lives.  Hang in there--28 weeks is a nice milestone though still scary.
  • Options

my twins were born at 26w6d.  they were in the NICU for 13 weeks.  ditto about the steroid shots - i think they really helped out B&N.

GL!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I had PROM at 28 weeks and had my babies at 29 weeks.  On bedrest for a week. They were born at 2lbs 8oz and 2lbs 14oz. They were in the NICU for about 6 weeks each.  They are now five months old and from what I can tell they seem like at the same developmental level as their twin cousins born exactly one month after at term.  Their NICU stay was pretty uneventful.  They were on oxygen for 2 days and 5 days.  For the most part they were feeders and growers.  At five months one week they are about 13 - 14 lbs each.  I feel very lucky everyday that they are doing so good!  Their doctors say they don't even look like they were born that early.  Good luck and I hope you make it longer than I did on bed rest!

My twins Benjamin and Olivia

• Options
    I had my daughter Mackenzie at 27 weeks, 3 days due to sudden and severe Pre-E. She spent 133 days in the NICU but has been home since February and is doing great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"