3rd Trimester
Options

Eating more junk?

Re: Eating more junk?

• Options
    I'm the same way. Never had a sweet tooth before being pregnant, now I want dessert after every meal. I've also gained more weight that I wanted to so far, but I blame the sweets. I'm trying to get it under control so the post natal weight loss won't be so hard. Hopefully these cravings stop after the baby is born! 
  • Options
    I don't know, I've been having major junk food cravings for most of my pregnancy and I'm having a boy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

A lot of times sugar cravings are an indicator of protein need, which is very high in pregnancy.  I think the recommendation is 60-80grams of protein per day.  And low fat protein at that.  Some even recommend as much as 100 grams of protein per day.

I personally have eaten better the last week than I have in a long time.  Not a single white sugar, white flour, white rice anything.  Nothing but fresh fruits, veggies and healthy meats.  I know, you all hate me.  LOL 

• Options

My pregnancy with my son, I craved french fries and spicy food.. and that's exactly what I ate ~french fries smothered in hot sauce!! I only gained 30lbs total (incl.baby)... came right off after a month...

And this pregnancy, I actually want salads, makes no sense!

• Options
    I am actually the opposite! I used to eat lots of junk, but now all i'm craving is fresh fruits (mostly those out of season)! The doctor asked me to start eating higher calorie foods to gain more weight, but most of them make me squeemish. Any ideas for higher calorie foods that aren't super heavy or soaked in grease?
  • Options

I would say pasta, grilled red meat, or starchy veggies- like corn.

I myself have been craving Arby's roast beef & cheddar sandwiches. I really like chicken- nuggets, patties, breast, thigh.. I am a big chicken fan- but every time I've eaten it I've gotten SICK. The morning sickness is soo bad (actually, mine's night sickness more) that I have lost around 10 lbs already as of my last weight. Going back on 2/3 and going to ask if there's something I can do, I'm concerned my little one won't be getting enough nutrients in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    YES!  I keep craving McDonalds fries!!  Just this past week, the idea of anything blande made my stomach flip.  Wonder what this is?
  • Options
    I had such HHUUUGGEEE carb cravings when I was pregnant!!! One day I even made a batch of scones, and ate 5 (out of 8!) all by myself. Also I became seriously repelled by eggs, especially scrambled. It was really strange. I would say just hide veggies in other food, if you can. Not sure how to do that when you want junk/fast food, but I do sympathize! At least you can be confident your food preferences will go back to normal after you have the baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am LOVING In and Out Burger and soda! I never used to let myself have soda and now I am sneaking it cuz I feel so guilty!  Pizza, fries, the fattier and unhealthier the better it tastes! And DH is on me to eat my veggies!  Are fries not a vegetable? LOL
  • Options
    You're not alone! I ususally eat very healthy and work out regularly. But since getting the BFP, on 2/5, I havent worked out and am eating like a pig! So much so that my boss asked was I PG!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    These responses are very encouraging, since all I want to eat is pasta, muffins, and cookies.  I tried to fight it for a long time, but considering I am at 41 weeks right now, I let myself indulge, knowing I only have a few days left.
  • Options

YES! I have always preferred foods that are fast and already-prepared (by someone other than me) like fast food and microwave meals but would eat limited amounts of unhealthy fast food, knowing they would make me fat and that I should eat healthier alternatives. before the pregnancy, especially while preparing for the wedding, I would eat a cheeseburger maybe once a month. Now I'm eating the burger, the fries, and the milkshake more than 2x a week! It seems like when I'm nauseous, the only foods I can even THINK about without feeling more sick is the unhealthy stuff! And since I know I need to put food in my stomach to feel better, I go for it.

My husband is in the medical field, and he's always been more of a health nut. I expected him to be really hard on my diet while pregnant, but he has been really supportive. He says as long as I'm taking my vitamins, my body will do the rest to make healthy nutrition from the food I eat. If all I feel like eating is junk, then junk is what I should eat. Having no food in me (which is tempting when I feel like puking) will be far worse than burgers. I even asked him to pick up a burger for me on his way home the other day and he got fries and a milkshake too when I didn't even ask for it! I love that man Big Smile

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I can agree with all of you...salty foods...french fries...although I am making sure I eat 3 fruits a day...I am slacking on the vegetables. I basically find myself nauseas all day, but I have to actually puke. Eating does help though. I am trying to remind myself that when the baby is born..I have to work it all off!

I have still been exercising..walking the dog for 40 minutes and doing workouts at the gym. Do you pants still fit?

• Options

My big  issue? Restaurant style White Corn Tortilla Chips (at least they are organic?!)

I am eating so many my husband and I joke that they baby is going to come out the shape of a triangle!
    LOL

• Options
    • sour balls
    • cheeseburgers
    • slush puppies
    • jelly beans
    • chicken wings
    •  repeat.
          Pregnancy Ticker
        • Options

Every time I drive pass a fast food place, see it on tv or smell it. I gotta go eat. I like it sometimes; but yesterday. I ate fast food  for all 3 meals and I told my husband to go to Taco Bell late last night for a fourth meal. I guess we are only pregnant. blame it on the hormones!!!!!!!!!!!!Big Smile

• Options
          SKITTLES. Oh my gosh for 2 weeks I was craving tropical skittles. First chance I got I went and bought a HUGE bag of those Skittles "cores" lol. Anything else I'm just forcing down because I know I need to eat but SKITTLES ROCK! lol.
        • Options
          The only green that I can get down is Asparagus! I havn't had a Girl Scout Cookie in five years at least, then, yesterday I ate an entire box of Samosa's in one sitting (watching Avatar). I at least walk a lot, but still!!! All I eat is Mac & Cheese, toast and fast food burgers. I half think that my baby is going to have a cheeseburger head like on those comercials...
        • Options

YUP!!! I'm with ya ladies...I NEVER used to eat candy bars or ice cream. Never!! Before getting pregnant the thought of eating a candy bar would make me sick.

When I used to have PMS I would crave salty stuff, now I don't want anything salty or greasy. I'm hooked on smoothies, I blend fresh fruit, a table spoon of almond butter, and a small container of yogurt. OMG they are so good and very filling.  I'm also trying to eat fat free frozen yogurt instead of Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie.

I knew it was a sign to stop eating all the bad stuff when my doctor said I should get back to exercising! LOL...subtle hint!  

• Options
          When I was pregnant all I wanted was chocolate ice cream, and lots of it! Now that I'm not pregnant I eat healthy again! I blame it on the hormones, or maybe, I should have thanked them for giving me the excuse to eat ice cream 24/7.
        • Options
          Me too! Except for my "drugs" of choice are starburst and sour patch  kids....I can't get enough! ;)
        • Options
          I've been eating chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and brownies like they're going out of style.... During the 1st tri I was too sick to eat much more than saltines and toast if I was lucky....During the first part of the 2nd tri I wanted fruits fruits and more fruits....All that is out the window now though!
        • Options
          I want junk food and soda (I haven't given in to that yet, but...)! I try to eat more veggies but they just don't hold the same appeal that a chocolate donut and a bag of chips does! I'm a little concerned because the doctor said to try to eat a lot less sugar, but hopefully all will turn out well. :) 
        • Options
          I am craving junk all the time. I want Sprite (not diet), chips and fast food (which I never eat). I have been trying to eat something else when I feel this way but it's so hard! I have gained a lot of weight and I am not quite 12 weeks!!
        • Options
          me too. There is very little I want to eat now. But i love oreo shakes and fast food. If I don't eat these foods, i am just eating to eat.  I don't like anything I used to like, before the pregnancy i loved all soups and salads. I won't touch them now. My doctor gave me a warning, But what will I eat?
        • Options

Im 8 weeks and right now all I really want to eat is carbs like pancakes, bread and toast. The plainer and more bland the food is im all for! I have tried to eat some junk food like taco bell but i felt SOOOO sick after. Back to basic bread it is for me!

• Options
          So was your theory true?  Because Im having a boy too, and french fries and salty stuff is calling my name..And this is coming from a die hard "sweet tooth" girl!  Crazy
        • Options
          I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! All I crave now are crabs (Pop-tarts, pasta, etc.), sugary cereals (I should own stock in Frosted Flakes!), McDonald's Sweet Tea, and chocolate... LOTS of chocolate! I really hope I don't gain too much because I know this is going to be a pain to take this all off after baby is born!
          Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
          Mommy's Little Man
          Making hearts melt since 10/22/2011
          Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
          Pinterest
        • Options
          Looks like we are all on the same boat on this one.. :) Cant get enough sour candy...jolly ranchers, warheads...its out of control... :)
          ANGELA_11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
        • Options
          gen2009gen2009 member
          imageharralson:

I think it's just your body trying to tell you it's okay to be comforted by crap.

HAHAHA!!!  That's awesome!  I was on Weight Watchers before I knew I was pregnant.  I'm waiting this craving thing out...  I think it's going to smack me in the face.  Right now I really don't want to make ANYTHING!  I'm EXHAUSTED!  But I know for sure that I do want meat (burgers) AND sweets (ice cream, brownies) but shrimp make me gag.

I also can't eat a whole lot of anything, which is strange but awesome!  I hope it stays that way.  I don't get too nauseous, but I do get full faster.

• Options
          Twix are like crack to me! Not a day goes by that I don't eat one. I have managed to stay away from almost every other sweet out there but I cannot stop myself from buying a twix a day. Someone is going to have to stage an intervention soon...
        • Options
          ohfourohfour member
          Fortunately for me, this GD diet is keeping me from snacking on junk, like I want to!
          Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
        • Options
          I'm worried about this myself!  Before I got prego I ate sooo healthily.  Now all I want is fast food.  My BMI before I get pg was 25, so I can only gain 15-20# during this whole pregnancy.  So far I haven't gained any weight, but if I keep eating like this I sure will!
          LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
        • Options

I eat Wendy's and McDonalds nuggets alll the time! I like Burger King cheese burgers - ketchup only! Pasta is a huge weakness as well. I can't eat enough spaghetti and meatballs! Veggies aren't really calling my name either, but fruits are! I love watermelon, cantalope, and purple grapes right now. Make sure you eat some veggies and fruits so you don't get "stopped up"... ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
        • Options

I am the same way and I'm only 7 weeks. I find myself salivating at the thought of cape cod potato chips and have to run and get a bag. Before I was pregnant, I never used to sit and devour a whole bag of chips or any kind of junk food for that matter. I stuck to a pretty healthy and well balanced diet before, but now I can throw that out the window - pass me the chips fast!

Oh and hamburger meat - I can't get enough of it. I have to have it either in a red pasta sauce, on pizza, or as a cheeseburger - it just hits the spot.

• Options

Hi ladies!! I'm actually only in my 2nd trimester, but I thought I was the only one going through this and I've been going crazy! I've never been a huge health food or junk food nut (i've really always eaten just whatever I was craving at the time, whether it was a salad or a burger), but at the beginning of my pregnancy vegetables (fresh of course) and fruit were all I craved! I even craved cauliflower, which I've always hated. But now I'm at 16 weeks and all I want is candy, or cake or chips and soda... My favorite foods at this point are red velvet cake, chocolate chip cookies with a big glass of milk and cream soda with EVERY meal. Luckily I actually haven't started gaining weight during this pregnancy (my first), so maybe this is what I needed lol! Glad to know I'm not alone!!

• Options
          all I want are carbs and little debbies.....so bad but oh so good.
        • Options

imagePrairiebabymama:
          Are you ladies noticing a trend here? All my baby wants is chocolate and ice cream, does that mean there is a girl in there? Look at the older posts... all of the girls came from moms with a sweet tooth and the few boys came from moms wanting burgers and chips hahaha! Perhaps the old wives' tale is true and sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what's girls are made of. I have to wait three more months to find out if my theory is true!

Funny you mention!! I noticed that too... and I was always craving salts from the beginning... potato chips, french fries, anything with plenty of salt on it, was my thing.

And then I found I was having a boy! No surprise there after noticing my cravings. Maybe it really is true! :)

• Options

I am so with you!  I was never big on junky fast food and now.. well as I type I am eating a KFC Famous Bowl.  LOL

I just can't seem to help myself all I want is fried up chicken or greasy cheeseburgers with fries!!  I feel horrible and wonderful at the same time.

Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. (NLT)
        • Options
          Ahhh I'm so glad you posted this! I'm having the same problem. I went out and stuffed my fridge full of veggies and all I want is pastas and junk food!  I get sick at the mere thought of putting a piece of lettuce in my mouth. I have tried every thing! But every veggie I eat gives me the tummy rumbles! sorry for the TMI. But seriously the only thing that doesn't bother my stomach is pasta and take out. Why!??
        This discussion has been closed.
        Choose Another Board
        Search Boards
        "
        "