Postpartum Depression
Options

How hard is it to come OFF meds?

Hi Ladies-  Saw my OB yesterday who gave me a prescription for Lexapro, as well as a presciption for BC (with hopes the BC will regulate my hormones and help with the anxiety/headaches/fatigue)  I wanted to wait a few weeks to see if the BC help before deciding to take the Lexapro, but I may end up taking it. 

My fear with taking the meds is- how hard is it to come off the meds?  I'm afraid of withdrawl symptoms or being "stuck" taking meds for a long time... any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How hard is it to come OFF meds?

• Options
    Gina418Gina418 member
    I had an easy experience coming off Lexapro - my doc lowered my dose as time went on and besides having a few vivid dreams, I had no other side effects.
  • Options

imageGina418:
    I had an easy experience coming off Lexapro - my doc lowered my dose as time went on and besides having a few vivid dreams, I had no other side effects.

Thanks for your feedback!  I already have vivid dreams so that wouldn't be so bad, LOL!  How long did you take Lexapro for?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gina418Gina418 member
    I was on it for a few months after having ds - not very long, but long enough, ykwim? I was on 10mg to start - then my doc prescribed 5mg - then I took a pill every other day - then I stopped all together. It worked out well for me. I've also heard a lot of other success stories of people weaning off Lexapro.
  • Options
    i had no problems
  • Options

image*speedracer*:
    i had no problems

And you're 37 weeks pregnant (but you knew that), congrats!!!  We want to start trying again in 6 mos. to a year hence the nervousness about starting and stopping a new drug in time!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

For the last 5 years I have been on and off Prozac. I am not sure how different it would be for different meds, but coming off was pretty easy. The hardest part was my fear of the depression coming back.

I agree with the PP though that my medication gave me vivid dreams too, but they were not nightmares by any means. Normally they were very odd -- like out of sequence.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrs.Nunley:

For the last 5 years I have been on and off Prozac. I am not sure how different it would be for different meds, but coming off was pretty easy. The hardest part was my fear of the depression coming back.

GL!

This I was also on prozac over the years.  I went off right before getting pg with DS with no problem.  Had major PPD after his birth and went back on and I'm now almost off (I've weaned for 2 months and today is my first day of taking nothing) to TTC #2 soon.  I agree with the above poster...the fear of the depression coming back is the worst part for me.  But until I get pg, I'm taking xanax here and there to help with that.  But otherwise I've had no issues.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"