Baby Names
Options

Do you think the name Eleanor is becoming popular?

I am having a girl in September and plan on naming her Eleanor Grace, after my grandmother and my husband's great-grandmother. Her nickname would be Ellie. My husband is concerned that it is becoming too popular, especially after church yesterday when there were 2 Eleanors and one Ellie in the baptism announcments!! I know that Grace is super popular, but didn't think that Eleanor is very popular today. I don't really care if it is, I am naming my daughter after my grandmother who is very special to me and will be 90 in a couple of weeks, plus I think it is a beautiful name. That is what matters, not if she ends up being the 5th Eleanor in her class (but that would be a bit annoying). After all, Eleanor was pretty popluar 100-70 years ago, I'm not the only one w/ a grandmother or great-grandmother with that name. I told my husband  I don't want to change the first name, we can think of other middle names, but not to let the fact the name is popular stop him from honoring the memory of his great-grandmother who helped raise him. So do you think Eleanor is becoming popular and do you think that is a reason not to use a family name? Thanks!

Re: Do you think the name Eleanor is becoming popular?

• Options
    Yes, I think it's becoming quite popular. I think Ellie is what's most popular, both as a stand alone name and a nickname for a bunch of other names (including Elizabeth, which I think has been in the top 10 for a while). A friend of mine just had a baby named Eleanor, nn Ellie.
  • Options
    I have never known an Eleanor of any age.  Ellie is definitley becoming popular...I know 2 girls who named their dd Ellie.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ames71ames71 member
    I really don't think Eleanor is that popular. It's a beautiful name though. Check the name rankings on the Social Security site and look for your state, but I don't think she'll run into a plethora of Eleanor's growing up. I say, go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't know that Eleanor as a full name is becoming popular, but I think the "El" sound is very popular, if that makes sense. There's lots of Elle, Ellie, Ella, Belle, Bella, etc. names around right now - those used as names or nicknames for longer names that contain the sound (i.e. Gabrielle, Isabella).

If it's a family name I wouldn't let popularity keep me from using it. FWIW I think Eleanor Grace is a beautiful name!

Mr. & Mrs. B, Est. 10.23.2009
    m/c: 9/06/12
    LTB: 10/23/13
    Baby B 2.0 EDD: 3/15/16

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think it depends on where you live. I love the name, Eleanor, and I think it's getting more popular, but I've yet to run into one. Maybe everyone was inspired by the movie, UP or maybe someone of that name was an influence in your area...it's hard to tell sometimes what makes a name take off. Anyway, I think you have an awesome reason.   
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    I do think it's increasing in popularity for the same reasons you explained (other people have older family w/ that name, too), and I understand that that may make you nervous about naming your baby Ellie.  Still, I think you should go for it.  It's the cutest name, and I don't think it's so popular that there will be more than 2 in any class.
    BFP- 08/10/07 M/C- 08/31/07 7wks 6 days BFP- 8/13/10 Audrey 4/26/11 BFP- 10/20/12 M/C- 10/24/12 4wks 2 days
  • Options
    I don't think the name Eleanor is popular, just the nicknames, Ellie/ Elle/ Emma, etc.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Did you check its popularity on the social security website?  You can get factual information there about how popular the name is.
  • Options

I don't think Eleanor is necessarily too popular.  But I think that an Eleanor will be lumped will all the little Ellas, Elles, and Bellas though.

I do think it makes a great middle name though - hence my daughter's name Bridget Eleanor!

• Options
    I think the nn Ellie is extremely popular (because it is a nn for a lot of different first names and also used as a standalone name). However, I don't consider Eleanor to be popular. It is definitely in that group of older names that is coming back and rising in popularity, but I wouldn't be concerned that it is the next Emma or anything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options
    I see it a lot on here but I don't know any IRL. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Scout05Scout05 member
    My niece is one of three Eleanor's in her pre-school class, if that is any indication.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts, to the one poster, yes, I know that about the SS website, the name is not currently overly popular, that is why I phrased the question as to if it is becoming popular, not if it is already popular. Maybe she will end up being known as Eleanor D her whole life, and whereas that is not ideal, she will know she is named after her greatgrandmother, an amazing woman. By giving my daughter her name I will be able to help keep her memory alive long after she is gone and that is what is important to me. Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    IMO, Eleanor is poised for a comeback. It's the right generation (great grandmas) It has a popular El sound, and it is currently in use in pop culture: Eleanor is the sister on Chuck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I hope it's not becoming too popular, because it's one of my top picks for a girls name! We'd use the NN Nell though. 

If you like the name for family reasons, then I would stick with it! GL. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagemrs.doubleD:
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts, to the one poster, yes, I know that about the SS website, the name is not currently overly popular, that is why I phrased the question as to if it is becoming popular, not if it is already popular. Maybe she will end up being known as Eleanor D her whole life, and whereas that is not ideal, she will know she is named after her greatgrandmother, an amazing woman. By giving my daughter her name I will be able to help keep her memory alive long after she is gone and that is what is important to me. Thanks again everyone!
    '

Definitely stick with it if the name has meaning.  I don't think anything would dissuade us from using Elisabeth to honor my MIL. She's been dead for several years now but was a second mother to me as well so it has a lot of meaning for my husband and I both. A truly special woman with a beautiful name. I don't care how many best friends name their kids Elisabeth or if it becomes the most popular name on the SS list in the time it takes us to have a child.

Stick to your name, it's beautiful. :)

Friends for 15 years. Married 8. TTC since January 2009
    2010 Diagnosis: Anovulation and Severe MFI
    2011 Treatment:
    IVF w/ICSI #1 Antagonist: 2 blasts - c/p - BFN 04.22
    FET #1: 1 blast/1 early blast - BFP 06.22 - m/c 06.30 @6w0d
    07-11 RPL: MTHFR C677T Heterozygous & Slightly elevated ACLA IgM
    FET #2: 1 morula - BFN: 9.02

January '12: IVF #2
    Started BCP and Metformin (New!) 12-14 for stimming in January

Dum spiro, spero.
    ?SAIF/PAIF/PgAL/PAL always welcome?