Illinois Babies
Options

Feeling Overwhelmed- choosing doctors/hospitals

DH and I are TTC. We're newish to the area and live in Hyde Park. I don't have a primary care physician in the area, so I tried to go through the UofChicago Health System so that I can develop a relationship with a primary care physican and at least get an annual physical and have a doctor "on call" whenever I become pg, so that they can refer me to an OB/GYN and I could deliver at UofC. I knew UofC was super close and quality of care was good- so just thought it'd be an easy to go there.

Well, U of C only has ONE location accepting new patients for primary care docs and after talking with them on the phone, I am very uncomfortable with them. (I think it's a free clinic type of thing- staff there weren't able to answer my questions about referrals and didn't understand why I was asking so many questions about their quality/type of care, doctors on staff, resources available, etc...)

So... I don't know what to do.  I am an intelligent capable woman with a corporate career, but feel paralyzed and completely overwhelmed about this.  I don't know the geographic area/suburbs, the hospital networks, or even how this whole referral/pre-natal/labor/delivery process thing works.  If anyone has any advice for either primary care physicans on the near southside or if they have suggestions for hospitals networks to consider, or avoid!, I'd love any suggestions.  Thanks!

(PS- posted about a month ago about my health insurance only accepting University of Illinois network, but I was mistaken- I've actually got a pretty wide coverage in the Chicago area)

Re: Feeling Overwhelmed- choosing doctors/hospitals

• Options
    Also, I said "near southside," but I'm willing to hear about downtown docs, too!
  • Options

I don't know too much about the doctors at U of C so I'm sorry I can't help you too much there.  However, since you said you have wide coverage with your insurance, have you considered any doctors with Northwestern Hospital (Prentice is where you would deliver)? 

My pregnancy started with the Women's Group of Northwestern.  I know other people that went through them, and loved them.  There are many great doctors in that practice (you get whomever is on call the day you deliver).  I liked them just fine, and had a couple of annual exams with them prior to getting pregnant.  As I got a little more into my pregnancy I realized that I wanted an un-medicated child birth and I wasn't so sure that all of the doctors affiliated with the Women's Group were 100% on board with that choice.  They said they were, but I wasn't sure and I didn't want to risk any added anxiety come delivery day.  So at about 14 weeks I switched to the Physicians Group of Northwestern and saw exclusively the midwives affiliated with that practice.  I loved, loved, LOVED them.  And you do not have to have an un-medicated birth with them.  You can still have an epidural and deliver through them if you choose to.  

Honestly, I would recommend either one - Women's Group or Physicians Group (midwives) with Northwestern.  Unless you know you want an un-medicated birth, then definitely go with the midwives in my opinion.  

Also, I'm sure you can schedule a brief appt with various doctors to get to know them and see if they are the right fit for you.  Hope some of this helps.  Good luck to you!  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is very helpful- exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.  Thanks so much, I'll look into both groups very soon!
  • Options
    I second the Women's Group of Northwestern.  All of the doctors there are great.  My primary OB is Dr. Levitt and I love her!  We live on the northside, but I worked downtown, so it was convenient for me too. 
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm crushed.  Northwestern/Prentice (and associated doctor groups) doesn't accept Sagamore Plus, my insurance network.  Back to square one.  I think it may be easier to start with my insurance company and have a discussion with them about my options.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    Major bummer!  Another Northwestern group to try (just for good measure) is NMPG- they deliver at Prentice (not sure anywhere else though).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"