Blended Families
Options

WWYD?

Okay Mothers Day is coming up.  We are having my mom and my grandma/pap, and aunt/boyfriend coming along with my ILs.  The reason we are having my grandma/aunt/etc to our house is that we usually go there instead, but have a leftover 20 lb frozen turkey that needs used!!!!

My ILs are very rude, standoffish people and dont like my family (because my family has voiced their opinions on how horrible the ILs treat me and have put them in their place before.)  Well the ILs are him-hawing about coming over and think that we should take them to breakfast instead...

My issue is that we are spending a bunch of $$$ on DINNER! If they are "too good" to come to dinner, why the F should we also spend a bunch of $$$ on BREAKFAST too???

My thoughts - ummmm you either get off your high asss horse and come to dinner or sit home!

For Easter, they didnt want to be with my family so they went to the Chinese buffett!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD?

• Options

"My thoughts - ummmm you either get off your high asss horse and come to dinner or sit home! "

This!!!  No way I would take them out. If they don't want to participate in a family dinner that is on them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Totally agree with you. And I have to LOL at the Easter dinner. My IL's did this the first year DH and I were together. We went with them that year and then had dinner with my family later. Never again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemariahcohen:

"My thoughts - ummmm you either get off your high asss horse and come to dinner or sit home! "

This!!!  No way I would take them out. If they don't want to participate in a family dinner that is on them. 

Yupppp

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options
    You don't tell someone to take you out to eat somewhere. You're providing dinner, and they are welcome to come (although doesn't sound like too much of a loss if they don't) If they want breakfast so bad, they should take you out.
  • Options
    ummm, no you should not take them to breakfast.  They need to get over themselves.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Ditto PP's!
  • Options

Why don't you take your mom/grandmother to dinner (or cook or whatever) and have your DH take his mom/grandmother to brunch.  It is obvious that you don't like them, and they don't like you.  That way you wouldn't have to see them, they wouldn't have to see you. All the mothers are with their kids, your families wouldn't fight, everyone is happy.

Honestly, If my son was married to someone I didn't like and they wanted me to come to a warzone/dinner for mother's day, I would decline.  I mean really, how pleasant can it be when no one gets along?  Are they supposed to fake it for a few hours just so you can cook your 20 lb turkey?  Not everyone can or is willing to do that.  It might be best to keep them apart. 

• Options
    imagefauxshelley:

Why don't you take your mom/grandmother to dinner (or cook or whatever) and have your DH take his mom/grandmother to brunch.  It is obvious that you don't like them, and they don't like you.  That way you wouldn't have to see them, they wouldn't have to see you. All the mothers are with their kids, your families wouldn't fight, everyone is happy.

Honestly, If my son was married to someone I didn't like and they wanted me to come to a warzone/dinner for mother's day, I would decline.  I mean really, how pleasant can it be when no one gets along?  Are they supposed to fake it for a few hours just so you can cook your 20 lb turkey?  Not everyone can or is willing to do that.  It might be best to keep them apart. 

Good points Shelly.  The reason is - we dont need to spend $$ on two separate meals. We decided on ONE dinner.  They always want to come to our house (and sit for hours barking orders... etc.) so it isnt that they just dont want to come.  They dont want to come because they know that they will have to be polite (No "STFU J" or slamming chairs into my dining room table, etc.)

I really dont care if they like me or not.  I cannot stand them... I agreed to this Mothers Day dinner because it makes my DH feel good. He enjoys cooking and having people over. Yes, if they want to be involved in our family time, then they can put on a happy face and fake it for a few hours at dinner - OR - not b!tch and just decline. :)

• Options

Yep, I agree with you. Who the hell asks someone to take them out for a meal? 

• Options
    They have
  • Options
    They have you r
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If
  • Options
    They have you rinvite. 
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come,
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come, send
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come, send them
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come, send them a nice
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come, send them a
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come, send them a nice card
  • Options
    They have you rinvite.  If htey don't want to come, send them a nice card and move
  • Options
    Umm sorry about thos elast posts, I have no idea what happened.  I was typing and suddenly the screen blinks a bunch and I see it posted my reply as I typed it?  Weird...
  • Options
    haha thats okay Gasper :) Are you just trying to be a Gold Poster by 5PM?? haha.
  • Options
    imageflippy1234:

haha - My ILs.  They also invited 30 extra guests to our wedding and called and told my parents to add them to the bill! My dad told them to call and un-invite them or send him a check!

• Options
    MrsHKMrsHK member
    imageJ+R:
    imageflippy1234:

haha - My ILs.  They also invited 30 extra guests to our wedding and called and told my parents to add them to the bill! My dad told them to call and un-invite them or send him a check!

I like your dad. You and DH need to take notes from him and don't expect anything less in regards to your ILs.

Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
  • Options

haha it was hilarious... he said "what do you think this is? a f'in picnic?" Sadly they continue to be nasty, selfish, disgusting people...

I just dont want WW3 to break out.  LOL - my mom said she'd be happier if they declined, so would I! But Im not shelling out extra $$$ to serve them.

Just wanted to see if I was right/wrong to feel this way. LOL :)

• Options
    KyahKyah member
    imageJ+R:
    imagefauxshelley:

Good points Shelly.  The reason is - we dont need to spend $$ on two separate meals. We decided on ONE dinner.  They always want to come to our house (and sit for hours barking orders... etc.) so it isnt that they just dont want to come.  They dont want to come because they know that they will have to be polite (No "STFU J" or slamming chairs into my dining room table, etc.)

I really dont care if they like me or not.  I cannot stand them... I agreed to this Mothers Day dinner because it makes my DH feel good. He enjoys cooking and having people over. Yes, if they want to be involved in our family time, then they can put on a happy face and fake it for a few hours at dinner - OR - not b!tch and just decline. :)

why are they welcome in your home at all if they treat you this way?

• Options

They used to be welcome and after FIL started doing that stuff, we stopped inviting them.  Actually, the last time they were over was Christmas Day and we have them an hour time limit (had somewhere else to be).

They are NOT welcome to just stop any time.  But on certain holidays, we do have them over (for dinners Christmas, etc. we go with my family) <-- but I still do extend the invite (for my DHs sake).  Mothers Day will actually be the first holiday they have been invited for a meal since FIL did that with the chair/MFing me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"