2nd Trimester

Rolaids vs. Tums. Why?

Hi Ladies: 

I think this is the first week where I feel some discomfort from being pregnant. I still love every minute and luckily started feeling LO moving around. (Have an AP so it takes me longer than most). I have wicked heartburn today and took two rolaids (what it said on the side of the roll). I read online the Rolaids are fine to take but Tums are way better to take but no one said why. 

Do you know? I am sure both are fine but I have no idea why some favour Tums more? 

Happy Friday Ladies! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Rolaids vs. Tums. Why?

• My doctor told me Tums are okay but not Rolaids because "sometimes they sneak a little aspirin into Rolaids".

I gotta tell you though, if you have heartburn/acid reflux, Zantac is wayyy better.

• I don't know why, but I was only told Tums was okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no idea why one would be "better" -- Tums has Calcium carbonate in it. Rolaids has both Calcium carbonate and Magnesium hydroxide. So possibly it has to do with the magnesium hydroxide.

My doctor told me that I should just take tums anyway, becuase a little extra calcium never hurt anyone. Then I discovered viactiv caramels. ;-)

(BTW, for heartburn, the viactiv caramels work just as well as tums, maybe a little more slowly...)

• I have heard no rolaids too. I would choose Tums anyway, because they give extra calcium.
    image image

• imagetfraser:

I gotta tell you though, if you have heartburn/acid reflux, Zantac is wayyy better.

This, totally. Zantac totally made it go away, tums just lessened it. If you are popping tums like candy like i was for 3 weeks you can forgo calcium pills, but switching back to zantac i think you have to take them. (just an added tidbit :)

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • Tums Smoothies.

Because they taste AWESOME!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Tums, for me it's instant relief.
  • My midwife with DS didn't care which one I took (I prefer Rolaids softchews...like Starbursts for heartburn), but when it got to the point where I was taking a pack a day she suggested I might be better off with Zantac.  Zantac was like a gift from God...heartburn ran away and sleep returned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"