Connecticut Babies

Yale New Haven v. Middlesex

Hi All,

DH & I will be moving to Clinton in the next couple of months. (well, actually DH is moving back to Clinton, but it will be all new for me). We are trying to pick a midwife and a hospital to deliver at. We have heard good things about Middlesex, but there is only one midwife in our network that delivers there. There area bunch of them in our network that delivery at Yale-New Haven. Does anyone have any experience with Yale-New Haven? 

Thanks!

Re: Yale New Haven v. Middlesex

• It's where I will be delivering, the bonus is that if God forbid anything bad should happen it's the best hospital to be at... but it's also big and a learning hospital and prob won't get the attention you would in a smaller hospital... I'm not much help, sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi, I live in Clinton. Welcome!

I delivered at Middlesex and honestly can't say enough terrifc and wonderful things about my experience there. It's a small hospital, the maternity ward is very nice and comfortable. The nurses were fantastic. Middletown is easy to get in and out of and parking was not a problem at Middlesex.

• Loading the player...
  • I was in the same position your are at trying to decide between the two. My mother in law works at Yale and sister in law delivered two babies there so initially I was assuming I'd go to Yale even though it's a bit further, we live in Haddam. However, I was very impressed by the birthing center at Middlesex. The rooms were more like a hotel and didn't have that sterile feeling the Yale rooms had. There also seemed to be more shared rooms at Yale vs Middlesex. I guess that's just a factor of the volume Yale sees and I'm sure it has a lot has to do with your insuarance card as to what type of room you get. Seems like chances of having a single, private room are much better at Middlesex. I work in Middletown and have spoken with several women who delivered there and had nothing but great things to say. If you are a high risk pregnancy and/or dead set on having a midwife deliver the baby, Yale would be a better choice. I am personally chosing Middlesex for the easy access, friendly staff and comfy/homey rooms. Good luck! 

• Thank you everyone for your input, it does help!
  • Two of my friends have delivered at Middlesex and they would not go anywhere else (one of them actually delivered all 4 of her kids there and she lives in Cheshire).  All of the maternity nurses are certified lactation consultants and the rooms are wonderful.  Yale is a top notch hospital, but like others have said, if there are more than 4 women delivering, you may have to share a room and you do not stay in the same room for labor and delivery.  At Middlesex you are in one room the whole time, they have pull-out beds for family, etc.  I have never heard a bad thing about Middlesex.
    Emilee-32, DH Rob-33, married 7-23-05, Miranda Crossing 7-8-10, waiting on our little Pierogi!
  • I delivered at Yale and had a fantastic experience.  I did not have to share a room, and couldn't speak more highly about the facility and the staff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I delivered both of my boys at Yale and have no complaints!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"