Baby Showers
Options

Who Threw Your Shower?

I'm just wondering who is throwing everyone's baby shower?  Is it tacky to have MIL/Mom/or sister throw you a shower?  I know some people think this is rude for a close family member to throw a bridal shower, so I'm assuming it's the same etiquette for a baby shower but just curious what you all thought!

Re: Who Threw Your Shower?

• Options
    My mom and MIL are planning on it - I don't really see anything wrong with it. I know at one point it was considered tacky, but I think people have gotten past that. I would only say it would be tacky for you and/or DH to host the shower.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi! Glad to see this post.My MIL believes in 'equality' ( very annoying at times)....she didn't throw my SIL a shower...so she won't  throw me one. My mom said she doesn't feel comfortable throwing one for the reason   you mentioned it being tacky, as it is a party to ask for gifts. However, 2 of my bf's are throwing me showers and my mom and mil are being 'silent partners' ie.... supplying the location and helping out w/ out a lot of the food bill...so thankfll it works out...I would have felt sad not having a shower.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagezawakenings:
    My mom and MIL are planning on it - I don't really see anything wrong with it. I know at one point it was considered tacky, but I think people have gotten past that. I would only say it would be tacky for you and/or DH to host the shower.

this!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a friend throw my shower for all of my family and close friends and my mom threw me a shower for her friends and my aunts that I am close with.  My mom threw my bridal shower too, so I think it is just fine for a family member to throw a shower.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    When I had my first DD and because of my mom being older it was not thought "proper" for the mom/MIL/sister of the mom-to-be to throw a shower.  My family shower was thrown by my 2nd cousin (we were the same age and had gone to school together).  The other showers (2 of them) were thrown by friends.  I also had a shower thrown for me (surprise!) for my 3rd child and it was my best friend who did that.
  • Options
    My mom threw my shower and I know plenty of others who had their mom or family mbr throw their shower.  I think it's outdated to a lot of people in today's day and age see it as not proper for a family mbr to host a shower.
  • Options

In my family it is still considered tacky for a mom or mil to throw a shower. Two of my best friends are throwing my shower. I think it just depends on where you live and if its socially accepted.

• Options

I had/have 4 showers, each hosted by someone different for the various social circles I'm in...

Shower #1 - hosted by girlfriends who are assistant organizers of a culinary group I organize/manage (coed)

Shower #2 - hosted by my parents and sister (coed)

Shower #3 - hosted by my brother (coed)

Shower #4 - hosted by girlfriends who part of a social circle formed from our local Nest board.
  • Options
    My sister threw my friends/family shower and my bff threw my church shower.  I think it's ok for close members to throw the shower, just not the mom-to-be. 
  • Options
    I'm with a lot of other people, my mom and sister are throwing mine. 
  • Options
    I had one the MIL threw and I'm having another one that my mom is throwing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mine is being planned by my mom, and two aunts mostly with the help of my SIL, MIL and step mom.  I have a whole team, lol.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options
    One shower was thrown by close friends. The other shower was thrown by my sister in law (guests were mostly family, and friends of my mother in law). It's what I like to call my "grown up shower".
  • Options
    My MIL is throwing one for DH's side of the family and my aunts are throwing the one for my side of the family.
  • Options
    My first shower was hosted by friends in my neighborhood, but the second was hosted by my mother. I don't think anybody saw this as being a big deal. Friends of my MIL are throwing the third shower in a month.
  • Options
    My MIL and SIL hosted one and my Mom and Sister offered one for my family. I don't think it is tacky. I honestly wouldn't want a friend paying for a shower, I would feel weird. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DH's best friend's wife threw mine (friend of the family). But I think a family member is fine. I think people project too much of a the bridal etiquette on the baby shower process and the are really very different.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am throwing my own shower because I have no one else who lives near me. It's going to be just a relaxed summer bbq to welcome our new addition. I don't think there is anything wrong with hosting your own shower.
  • Options
    LMarkLMark member

I think it's ok for a close family member to throw your shower.

My mom and sister are throwing our family shower.  Last weekend my close friends threw one with our friends.  A few of my students are planning one for me, too (I'm a hs teacher)Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My step mom planned hosted one and a good friend hosted the other. It really depends on the region you live in as to whether or not it is tacky to have a close family member host the shower. I personally have never met anyone IRL that has a problem with a mother hosting a shower.
  • Options
    My mom and sister are throwing one and my MIL is throwing one for DH's side.  In my area of the country/social circles, it's pretty typical for moms and other family members to throw you a shower.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    ctanactana member
    My sister threw my shower. My mom helped a lot, but my sister coordinated everything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom, MIL and SILs are planning the shower together.  I don't think it is tacky at all for family to throw the shower, at least not anymore.
    BFP#4: 2/2/19, EDD 10/8/19
    BFP#3: 9/4/11, EDD 5/13/12, DD Born 5/14/12
    BFP#2: 5/8/11, EDD 1/24/12 missed mc 
    BFP#1: 1/24/10, EDD 9/24/10, DD Born 9/25/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"