Philadelphia Babies

Please weigh in - Lankenau vs. Bryn Mawr?? Which one?

My OB delivers at both, and I've heard great things about both. Lankenau is about 4.5 miles away, BM is about 6.5, so no huge biggie either way.

Please share your (or your friends'/families') experiences with either one, or which one you used/will use and why!! Thanks!!

Jenn :)

Re: Please weigh in - Lankenau vs. Bryn Mawr?? Which one?

• I had an excellent experience at Lankenau. I liked my docs but really, the nurses are the ones that deserve all the credit! They were outstanding! I was in for a few extra days due to a c-section so I had alot of interaction with the nursing staff. They taught me so much about how to care for the baby and 2 in particular helped me with the first few difficult days of BFing. I highly recommend Lankenau.

I do not have experience with Bryn Mawr so I can not fairly compare.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't have a great experience at Bryn Mawr.  I thought the nurses were too overworked to spend even a second telling me what they were shooting into my IV, etc.  No fault of theirs- I really just think they were looking after a lot of people.  I have heard many stories of people having great experiences with them.  I have no experience with Lankanau, though.  I delivered my DD at Montgomery and had an awesome experience there.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first child at Bryn Mawr and my second at Lank, both places were great. But, Lankenau has all private rooms and that was the deciding factor for me. I wanted my DH to be able to stay over with me, and I really liked having the privacy of my own room.
  • I will deliver at Lankenau. I have visited friends and family there and the new maternity wing is REALLY nice. Just redid like less than 2 years ago and all private rooms.
  • I too had a fantastic experience at Lankenau- and while I love my doc, my delivery nurse was amazing!  I can't wait to deliver LO #2 there as well!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have heard good things about Bryn Mawr, but I have no experience.  I really liked Lankenau.  I liked the private room, the nurses, and I had trouble BF and the lactation consultant there was awesome.  I am go back and delivering there for #2.
  • Myself and 4 of my siblings were all delivered at Bryn Mawr and my Mom always had a great experience there.  I am about to deliver baby #1 there and can't wait.  My friend had a planned c-section there this morning and loves it...her Mom was a nurse there for years, so she has some pull though.  My sister-in-law delivered at Lank. in September and thought some of the nurses were rude, but overall, liked her expereince there.  Cole Hamel (pitcher for the Phillie's) wife also delivered while she was there.  At BM there are limited private rooms (I believe it is first come, first serve basis), which I am not looking forward to.  At Lank., they are all private rooms.  Lank. you have to pay for parking or walk a mile after parking.  BM you can find free spots on the street if you are lucky or the hospital has a lot and the township has a lot a block away. 
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at Bryn Mawr bc my doctors were associated with that hospital. Overall I thought the experience was fine. Nothing wonderful, nothing horrible. The L&D nurses were fabulous but I only liked one of the nurses I had in the maternity ward and it didnt seem very organized (perhaps because it was unusually busy when I was there). Its true that not all of the rooms are private but its RARE that you have to double up. When I had my daughter the nurses mentioned how it hadnt been that crazy in months and they still had 5 or 6 empty rooms.
  • Hi, I am a Labor and Delivery nurse at Bryn Mawr and I am also expecting to deliver my second baby there in September- so I think it is a great place (but I am a little partial). But just as a FYI, there are no docs that deliver at both hospitals. The OB  delivers at one hospital but may have privileges at an other hospital. So check with your OB to find out the "main" hospital they deliver at. Good Luck!

• I am delivering my quads at Lankenau.  I just went on the hospital tour and the delivery rooms are AMAZING.  Huge, all private, some with whirlpool tubs.  Everything was really new and nice.  The NICU (if you need it) is top-notch, too.
  • i delivered at Bryn Mawr. I had an ok experience. Personally though- i am delivering #2 at the BM Birthing Center. Mostly because I just felt that my wishes really weren't 'heard'  and i feel that I spent a lot of my labor being my own advocate and being proactive. I felt 'rushed' in my labor. And personally i am looking for a different experience.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I delivered at BM and it was a fine experience. I mean it was nothing special, but it wasn't bad.  Everyone was very nice. My only semi-complaint was that the L&D nurse started calling Amy while I was pushing (my name isn't even close to Amy). It would be one thing if I only met her once, but I had spent 3 days with this woman (stubborn baby), so that was weird, but it happens. Plus, that isn't the hospital's fault, but just something I remember...haha.

From what I hear, the 2 hospitals are 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another. I will say that I was afraid of having to share a room (I ended up with a single...phew!). Sharing a bathroom with another woman who just gave birth is not something I would want to do. No way.

• imageStacyc625:
    i delivered at Bryn Mawr. I had an ok experience. Personally though- i am delivering #2 at the BM Birthing Center. Mostly because I just felt that my wishes really weren't 'heard'  and i feel that I spent a lot of my labor being my own advocate and being proactive. I felt 'rushed' in my labor. And personally i am looking for a different experience.

Yay for your Birth Center Baby-to-be! I had my DD at the birth center and it was FANTASTIC. I got to labor most of the day in the jacuzzi tub with jets on my back to get through contractions and delivered in 45 mins on my hands and knees.

The nurses and midwives were great coaches and my husband got to "catch" our baby and tell me that she was a girl. It was very much OUR day. And we were also never separated from our daughter, they do all the tests, bath,etc in your room. I will definitely be going back someday!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, thanks so much, ladies!!! I didn't think I would get so many responses! I really appreciate it! We were originally planning on Lankenau, until I realized that Bryn Mawr isn't really that much further, which is why we were re-considering (after hearing great things about BM). But based on everyone's comments, I think we're going to stick with Lankenau and feel great about it. Thanks!!!! :)
  • I had what I consider an bad experience at Bryn Mawr. Perhaps it was made bad by my OB but in general I was not thrilled with the hospital.  I had a planned c/s and while I felt the nurses in L&D were quite nice, my daytime nurses in  maternity were awful.  My Dad actually got in a "fight" with one of them when he had to make my bed since no one bothered to change the sheets after three days of blood, sweat and tears.  I was not thrilled with the Lactation Consultant who while very pushy on BF made it to out to me that I woudl never be able to do it.  My room as a whole was never cleaned until the last day.  I have other petty grievances but overall, I just try to remember that I had a beautiful healthy baby who is about to turn 4. 

I had my second at Paoli.  It was like a 4 star resort compared to the treatment I had at BM.  My 3rd will also be born at Paoli.

• We went to Bryn Mawr because that's where my Dr delivers.  We had a great experience.
  • Hi, I am not happy at my current practice and am considering transferring to another practice and I am looking for one that delivers at Lankenau Hospital.  I also would like to try for a VBAC and so I was interested in the doctors/practice you choose  for your successful VBAC?  I appreciate the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"