Austin Babies
Options

going out to eat will get easier, right?

DS is really terrible at restaurants now.  He used to be really good, would eat what I brought and sit and play with toys.  Now, he won't eat really anything and wants nothing to do with sitting.  He just wants to run around and play and go talk to other people.  He's not disruptive, doesn't cry, but won't sit still and won't eat and throws his food.  We're still dealing with the food throwing at home, but it's not always bad.

it will get easier, right?  I really just don't think he's grapsed the "restaurants are for eating, not for playing" concept yet.  My in laws understand and will take him and walk with him, but my mom expects him to just sit there and be an angel and it upsets me when she gets frustrated with him for just being a 1 year old.  Tongue Tied 

Re: going out to eat will get easier, right?

• Options

15 til about 22 months were hard for us.  We often ended up having to get our food to go, or taking turns eating while the other one walked around with her.

So it will get better....but it might take awhile. =(

• Options

I could have written this post! 

We actually went out last night for the first time in MONTHS and it was b/c it was MIL's treat.  The last time we had to have our food/desserts boxed up for us to make a quick exit.  This time she was a little better  - but I don't really trust her yet.  I don't want to be "that" mom w/ the kids running all over the restaurant though, so for us it's all or nothing.  She either sits in the high chair and eats/plays/colors or we don't go out.  I don't want her to taste the freedom of walking around in a restaurant if you know what I mean.

So for now, it's no family restaurant trips.  Fine w/ me though b/c it saves money.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's still not good for us... but it is better.  DD just can't sit still that long, even at home, even with food she loves, even with stickers and coloring (which she loves)... So we either get take out or go somewhere with a playground so one of us can take her to play while the other finishes eating.
  • Options
    It gets much easier. DD is great now but his age is rough for eating out.  We'd always bring colors and toys and make sure she had little snacks to eat on.  It helped her tolerate staying in her seat (somewhat.)
  • Options
    Sounds like our night out tonight except for the parents part. I sure hope it gets easier too!
    ~ Tiffany -- ATX PG Bio
    Loss at 15wks - Dec 2010 and 5.5wks - Sept 2011
    My little ballerina - thanks Life in Motion Photography!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageamyinaustin:

I don't want to be "that" mom w/ the kids running all over the restaurant though, so for us it's all or nothing.  She either sits in the high chair and eats/plays/colors or we don't go out.  I don't want her to taste the freedom of walking around in a restaurant if you know what I mean.

Yes it is pretty rough around your DS's age but honestly it did not last that long for us.  Maybe 6 months or so at most and we just did not go out hardly at all during that time.  We always armed with anything we could think of, stickers, toys, snacks etc.  We also always agreed that as soon as she started to act up one of us went outside with her.  It sucked but we did not want her getting used to being bale to walk around a restaurant.  

• Options

Abby is still pretty bad but that's our fault. We don't make her sit down to eat at home anymore. Laziness on my part from when I was so sick from being pregnant. Right now we usually try to get a booth and trap her in one side (we don't use the booster). The extra bit of mobility keeps her entertained for longer.

With all due respect. Your mom is crazy. It's great if someone elses 15 month old can sit still for up to an hour. Most can't.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrsRosie:
    Have you tried doing something really physical like runnning around outside before going out to eat?

No, we haven't tried doing that.  That might make it a little easier if we tire him out a little. 

And I should clarify- my in laws (or us) don't let him walk around, we just hold him and walk around.  I didn't want you guys to think I'm the one with the kid that runs all over restaurants.  :)

• Options
    Jakob was always really good in restaurants but we don't even try with Layna.  The only time we go out to eat is if we know we can be done in under 30 minutes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebrideonjuly8:

And I should clarify- my in laws (or us) don't let him walk around, we just hold him and walk around.  I didn't want you guys to think I'm the one with the kid that runs all over restaurants.  :)

Ditto. 

• Options
    it's hard for us right now too. ill let ruby walk around if she is cornered b/t our table and the wall, but that happens pretty rarely. we've learned which restaurants have super fast service and try to only go to those places these days: tino's greek cafe in arbor walk, pei wei, chuys or z tejas if you order immediately upon sitting down. she also does well at roaring fork when the weather is nice b/c we can take turns walking around on the deck out back before the meal, we check out the open kitchen as they cook everything, and she loooves their black beans and cornbread.
  • Options
    We're at a pretty good place right now with all 3 of ours thankfully.  We've always brought them to restaurants from a young age and have always expected them to be in their seat and sit through dinner.  We just bring distractions and we always ask for crackers / torilla / bread or something to keep things moving and them busy.  I also carry crayons / stickers / iphone in my purse at all times so that helps.  Honestly, kids running around in restaurants drives me crazy.  We went out last night and there was a little boy Taryn's age running around from table to table with his dad....he wasn't misbehaving, but it was just disruptive to everyone.  We also sit down and have dinner together as a family 7 nights a week so our kids are really used to it, that probably helps some too.
  • Options

I sure hope it gets easier.  We eat out all the time and have recently just given up on sitting down at a restaurant because DS just won't sit still.  The only thing that will keep him happy is lemonade or some kind of juice in a cup/sippy and we're just not willing to do that most of the time.  Crayons get thrown on the floor, food gets everywhere, and once he decides he doesn't want to be in his seat, it's either screeching or crying.  Ugh.  We will take him outside to walk around, but he never wants to go back to his seat once he's tasted freedom.

I don't ever remember DD being this bad.  There were times she wanted to get up and walk around, but she was just much easier to keep occupied than DS.  He wants to move all.the.time.  DD will now sit through dinner and is perfectly fine.  She likes to do things herself, so it takes her a while to eat, which really helps.  She's 2 1/2, so hopefully it will be better by the time S is her age!

Oh, and when we eat at home, we all sit at the table and DS sits in his high chair.  He usually finishes before we do and is ready to get up, but he is much better behaved at home than out.  And we have always eaten out (until a week or two ago) and so the kids are used to it.

• Options
    I hope that it gets easier!! My ds is still horrible when we go out to eat. We usually don't go out to eat except for places like Chiptole, Jason's Deli, Fire bowl, etc. places that are order your food and go sit down and eat it. He will NOT sit in a highchair! It has gotten easier, but not much. I seriously hate eating out with him. It is more like work than enjoyment. We usually get to-go and eat at home or have a babysitter and go out to eat.
  • Options

Ugh, this scares me. It is hard enough with DS now (almost 4 mos.)... and he doens't move!

Last night we went to El Chile and there was a 40 minute wait... I almost cried. I had timed everything so well, I thought, and that was really going to mess up his schedule. Somehow a miracle occurred. We went next door to a bar to wait, sat outside and I rocked him to sleep in a blankie. He went from 6:15 to 9:00 without crying once. I am still not sure how it happened.

I was so stressed the whole time... I just hate being worried that he will suddenly scream and disrupt/bother the entire restaurant.

I can only imagine this once he's walking/toddler age. OMG.

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i think it got easier for my #1 when he was nearing 3. my 2 yo still has a hard time sitting. like pp we go places we can get in/out pretty fast and places where I know they will eat the food there. chuy's is a fave for sure (altho i don't tempt on the weekends or after 5:30!). it did get better for us (for the eldest!). but we just don't eat out that often anymore, i don't like the stress of it, plus DH is vegan and harder to eat out with. hang in there!!! ps...what is the deal w/moms, my mom is the same way, somehow expects them to be perfect angels, even past their bedtimes! ?!?!?
  • Options
    I wanted to come back and add that we try hard not to eat out during primetime when the waits are long.  We go before 5:30-6 or not at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"