Two Under 2
Options

Did DC#! visit in the hospital when DC#2 arrived?

I am having DC#2 in May and DD will be 20.5 months old.  Should I have DH or MIL bring her to see me and the baby each day while I'm there?  Also, I am having a repeat c-section, so I'll be there longer.  I always expected DD to visit, but I have seen that some people have the first meeting be when they bring the baby home.

Re: Did DC#! visit in the hospital when DC#2 arrived?

• Options

Check with your hospital. Some hospitals do not allow children to visit now due to H1N1/flu.

But to answer your question, yes, DD#1 came every day when I had DD#2, and DD#1 and DD#2 came every day when I had DS.

I had 3 c-sections so I was in the hospital longer as well.

GL!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

We couldn't because of H1N1...but I don't think I would have anyway.

DS was only 13.5 mo so I thought he would be really confused. DH went home to visit him and my mom was there hanging out with him at our house till we came home. Worked out great.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, DC #1 was actually there in the hospital with our family while I had my c-section, then visited with me and the new baby for a little bit before going home with DH.  DH and DC #1 would visit every day for about 45 minutes -- DS was only 16 months old and he really couldn't last much longer than that.  My mom would watch him in the evenings so that DH could come up later and visit before heading home with DC#1 again.

This was before the H1N1 stuff, though.  

• Options
    Yes, DD #1 was at the hospital when I gave birth to DD #2.  She came in to meet her and then my BIL took her home(DH stayed with me in the hospital the whole time we were there) .  She also came the next day to visit with us for a little while, but that was before the hospitals changed their visitors policy due to H1N1.
    ~Allyson 6 & Ellianna 5~
    ~Team green turned Blue on 4/6/14~
  • Options

mine did not, but he is very much a mama's boy and quite clingy, so i thought it might upset him. I just had grandparents keep him busy at home until I got home. Also make sure that if you do wait until you get home that the first time he sees you is not with the baby-I read that somewhere. Mine came home from daycare that day and I made sure I greeted him at the door alone, then took him to see DD in her swing separately.

• Options

DS did not come to the hospital.  We just felt it would be more confusing and upsetting for him than helpful.  He stayed with my brother and SIL and had a blast.

My brother and SIL brought him to my parents and we met them there with DD.  He was totally fine.

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options

Yep!  DS was actually there during my c/s (with my parents and MIL) and as soon as I was in my room, he came in to see me and take a look at the baby.  He couldn't have cared less about the baby (or me!) but had a great time eating ice from the ice machine and running around the room for a few minutes.

My parents brought him up every morning to see us, it was so great to spend a half hour or so with him each day.  DH would usually go home in the afternoon and early evening to spend some time with him as well.

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No, she could't because of H1N1 rules but I asked to be released early so I was only there for a little over 24 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes.  I didn't want him to come up until I was in a regular room upstairs (I had a c-sec) b/c I knew he would get bored and need a nap if we had him come from the beginning.  I couldn't wait to see him and he was totally freaked out b/c I was in bed with all these things attached to me.  He wouldn't come near me.  I was so sad!  (He was 19 mos old)  He stayed for a little while that day, but not too long.  So by the second day when he was on his way I made sure to get up and be out of bed when he came.  It went much better.  But still, each day when he came he only stayed for an 1 - 1.5 hours.  He just didn't have the attention span to hang out in a hospital room any longer than that. 
  • Options
    I noticed you're in Fairfax- I am in NOVA and the hospital here won't let my dd come due to H1N1. You may want to check with the hospital. I was a little disappointed, but I'll be ok! :) My DD will be 19 months- she's never stayed the night away from me before.... it may be harder on me than her though
  • Options
    Nope, he wasn't allowed because of H1N1.
  • Options

DD1 will be coming to the hospital to visit when I have DD2 in a couple weeks. We had a dry run of sorts when my husband was unexpectedly hospitalized for a week back in January. She did really well with behaving in the room and was even ok coming and going with my mom when I would stay with DH.

I was super upset when hospitals started restricting visitors due to H1N1 last fall. It didn't help that I was just entering the 2nd tri and still freaking out about being pregnant/2u2 at the time. I also had never spent more than 8-9 hours away from DD and knew it would probably be harder on myself than her.

imageimage
  • Options

DS#1 visited for a couple hours after DS#2 arrived then my parents took him back to VT with them until the weekend.  This was a last minute thing as our original plan was for him to go to daycare and then DH would bring him in to visit in the afternoon.  I was actually in the hospital less time with my second c/s.  I was recovering well so the dr asked if I wanted out after two days and I said yes.

Definitely check on your hospital policies.  The week after I had DS#2 the hospital changed it's policy to only allow the parents and grandparents of the baby to visit.  No children under 18 were allowed in the hospital at all.

• Options
    NJ hospitals for the most part are not allowing children under 18 in the maternity ward... so DD met her little brother at our house when we came home!
  • Options
    DD was 21months when DS was born. She came to the hospital to meet him. She was confused for sure, but it was better than waiting till we got home.
  • Options
    Yes. Our hospital didn't let children under 12 visit due to H1N1 UNLESS it was a sibling.  I had a vaginal delivery and was only there about 30 hours so he came that night to see his baby brother and then again the next morning.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would have love for him to come to the hospital, but he wasn't allowed due to the H1N1.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Yes DD#1 came to visit us in the hospital.  It was during H1N1 scare (december) but we had records that DD#1 had her shots so they let her come.
  • Options

Yes DS came to see me the night DD was born for about an hour then my mom took him home to our house. They came back around lunch time the next day for about an hour.

I only stayed in the hospital 24 hours after DD was born though. We thought we would be staying at least 48 hours because they were waiting on my Group-b strep results but they got them earlier and let us go home...if we had known we were going home 24 hours later DS probably would not have come back the 2nd day.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Because of the H1N1, DD1 could not come visit.  I was soooooooo disappointed, I had this vision of my DH bring her to come meet her new little brother or sisiter.  But after going thru it - it was just fine waiting till we got home.  I missed DD1 like crazy, but we chatted on the phone and she stay with my mom and dad.  She had a great time and was so in love w/ her little sister when we got home. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"