Minnesota Babies

Semi-odd Q: Food in the hospital

Odd question, but I'm just curious for those of you with kids already. How did the food thing work post-delivery in the hospital? I know it's not always like being in the hospital for another reason. While I'm sure I won't care much, I just want to know what to expect, since I can be pretty particular about what I eat when with my eating habits, etc. The more I can be prepared for there, the better. Did anyone bring some of their own food to the hospital? Thanks!
BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

Re: Semi-odd Q: Food in the hospital

• I delivered at St.Francis, they had a menu I could order anything off of there I wanted, and then they had a special you could order if you wanted that. Everything was actually very good. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to bring your own food in.

• I delivered at SouthDale Fairview & just like PP I had a menu to pick from (I could pick as much as I wanted) but I could also bring in my own food. We ordered Pizza for our fist dinner & they came right up to our room - Very helpful plus they gave us a cute little bib with a "welcome  not for Aiden"
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Regions.  The nutrition department brought in breakfast which was different each day.  Then they would come and offer 2 choices for lunch and dinner that you could choose from.  There was also a cafeteria that we didn't use that had a larger selection.  We had family bring us food a few times and we brought some snacks from home too. 
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • St. John's has a menu that you can order from.  They had variety similar to most chain resteraunts and I was able to choose/add any additional sides.  DH brought me in a burger from TGI Fridays the one night.  I guess they now have mini fridges and microwaves in each room. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I delivered at United and am a picky eaeter. They would give you a menu sometime before each meal. Like the others said you could pick one of their daily specials, or you could order something of your own. I usually picked something for breakfast, cold cereal/toast/bacon, wahtever/ then wrote in what I wanted for lunch and dinner. My write in's where typical food you could get in a caferia, burgars/pizza/grilled cheese. I pretty much ordered a salad to go with every lunch and dinner. We did bring in some snack type food, but I don't realy remember eating any of it. .
  • I delivered DS1 at Riverside and just ate what they brought me. We also brought pizza in from Davanni's next door. I delivered DS2 at Mercy and they had a whole menu to choose from, it was awesome. I think we brought in food one day there though, like from Subway, I believe. Hospital food has definitely improved over the years. Everything I ate at Mercy was delish!
    Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks ladies, that's helpful. I know I'm going to want healthy stuff, which is why I was asking how it works. Luckily my family also eats how I do, so if I have them bring me something, they'll totally get it.
    BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
    BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
    BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
    BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

• United has a room service-like thing now. You call and place your order off a whole menu of options and then they bring it up in about 45 minutes.
    imageimage
  • When I delivered at Regions, they were testing out a new menu option in the post-partum department. 

I had a menu to look at that looked like a restaurant menu, and I could order anything I wanted while they were open. I think I had to order by 6:30pm. I could have waffles for dinner or a hamburger for breakfast if I wanted. DH could also have whatever he wanted, for a small fee (I think it was 5 or 6 dollars) but the servings were HUGE!

I know they were only testing it, and I don't think they ever implemented it full time. I don't know if they plan on adding it in the future or not.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was also at United.  I don't remember being able to just order food at any time.  But maybe I could have and I didn't know it.

They did have a menu for all three meals and I could pick what I wanted.  It was funny because all eggs made me sick when I was pregnant, but during my whole stay (4 days), all I wanted for breakfast was their scrambled eggs, which were delicious.  

The room I stayed in had a fridge.  So I had DH go grocery shopping after my c/s, when we knew I would be there for a few days.  I had lots of snacks and meal alternatives.  It was great.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagepreg_amy:

They did have a menu for all three meals and I could pick what I wanted.  It was funny because all eggs made me sick when I was pregnant, but during my whole stay (4 days), all I wanted for breakfast was their scrambled eggs, which were delicious.  

I had something similar. I had a MAJOR red meat aversion my entire pregnancy. I think I had hamburgers for lunch and dinner the entire time we were there. LOL.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"