3rd Trimester
Options

milk causes heartburn??

it started last night but wasnt all that bad, i could ignore it and didnt need tums but today...woahh! its horrible right now. it hurts, is making me burp and tastes gross! ive been drinking a lot of milk yesterday and today, could that be causing it? i would have sworn milk would be good for heartburn bc its a base, no acid in it. but i guess i could be wrongl.

Re: milk causes heartburn??

• Options

My mom was just telling me about an article she read that said that milk is actually quite acidic and can contribute to heartburn.  Apparantly yogurt is the way to go, because the cultures neutralize the acid or something like that.

Just found this in a USA Today article:

"Contrary to popular belief, milk is not a recommended antidote to heartburn. A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach. This can cause a more severe heartburn that can return in as little as a half an hour. "

• Options

As long as I have a glass of milk with each meal I don't have heartburn. If I skip it I pay for it.

So I'm guessing it's different for everyone.

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Everything gives me heartburn anymore.  I've stopped trying to defeat it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageirubyou2:

"Contrary to popular belief, milk is not a recommended antidote to heartburn. A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach. This can cause a more severe heartburn that can return in as little as a half an hour. "

Well, crap.  I've been drinking a tall glass or two of vitamin D milk with my dinner this week because it's so soothing.  I guess it's making the heartburn later in the evening even worse?  Not that USA Today has the final word on any topic, but still.

• Options
    Everything gives my heartburn/reflux.  Everything.  Even water.  Actually, now I don't even eat and I get it.  It's lovely.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options

imagemrs.jenni:
    Everything gives my heartburn/reflux.  Everything.  Even water.  Actually, now I don't even eat and I get it.  It's lovely.

This is me.  It sucks.  Sadly, it's been this way for a few months.  Heartburn/reflux kicked in so much sooner this time :(

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Milk is a huge culprit for me - I never understood why people claimed it helped heartburn, it will just come back twice as bad later. 

However, Zantac 150 worked for a while (Tums are a joke, only worked for first tri), and now Nexium is a godsend.  However, I still need to eat at 6pm or earlier if I don't want reflux all night - but at least it's not an acidy reflux, haha.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I switched to sweet acidophilus milk during the second tri and it's been a life saver.  No indigestion whatsoever.  Even H doesn't have as much digestive trouble with it.  We go through at least 2 gallons a week.
  • Options
    Almond Milk is really good for heartburn!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagehollybabe:
    imageirubyou2:

Well, crap.  I've been drinking a tall glass or two of vitamin D milk with my dinner this week because it's so soothing.  I guess it's making the heartburn later in the evening even worse?  Not that USA Today has the final word on any topic, but still.

Fat is bad for heartburn too. Maybe skim milk would be better than vitamin D milk. Maybe not...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"