Health & Exercise
Options

How to get back into running

I have been working out for about 3 weeks now and was a runner before I got pregnant. I had a high risk pregnancy so had to stop working out all together at about 16 weeks. Anyway I use to run/jog at 6.0 for about 40 minutes 3xs a week. I have been trying to get into running again and having a hard time going longer than 5 minutes at a time. Last week I ran 3xs and did intervals where I would run at 5.5 for 5 minutes and walk at 4.2 for 2 minutes. I would do this for about 30 minutes total. Today I tried running for 10 min at a time at 5.5 and walking for 2 at 4.2 but  I could only do that once and had to go back to my 5 minute and 2 minute intervals I did last week.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can build up to running longer periods of time. I am not so much worried about my speed at this point..

TIA

Re: How to get back into running

• Options
    Why are you stopping? Is it a cardiovascular issue or pain issue? Some people should not start running again until 4 months PP. You still have lots of relaxin hormone in your body. For some people it works fine. But I kept having knee pain the first time, and then I just relaxed and waited until 4 months PP, and I was fine.
  • Options
    I just get really tired and I can't make it through a whole ten minutes. I know I sound like a wimp but I am wondering if there is a better way to build up to running longer periods of time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to be a runner before I got pregnant too -- morning sickness was a workout killer.  Anyway, I am now doing the couch to 5K program.  I feel a little bit silly because I can't remember the last time a 5K would have been a challenge (prior to pregnancy, of course), but I figure it's a good way to ease back in without getting hurt.  You might give it a try and see if that makes you feel better. 

On another note, don't forget that you're still recovering.  Not consuming enough calories is a guaranteed way to wipe yourself out.  And sometimes sleep really is more important than a workout!
  • Options
    I ran for about 3 years before I was pregnant, and was up to 5 miles at 6.0 (if on a treadmill). Anyway, I haven't run throughout my pregnancy, just walked, so I've been concerned about getting back into it once baby comes. However, I remember back when I first started getting back into running though that I would just have to start slow - which it sounds like you're doing. I'd run/walk two miles at a time until I could build up to running the full two miles. After doing that for a week I'd add on a third mile, which I'd usually have to stop and walk partly through. I just tried to be patient with myself, knowing that I would eventually get to where I could run as long as I wanted to. I found that once I could go three miles at a consistent speed that it was easy to tack on an extra mile or two after that. Good luck to you! I'll be in the same boat in a couple of months myself.
  • Options

I would lower the speed while running until you feel that you can stay running longer and then gradually increase the speed.

I was a runner for years and years before my pregnancies.  I am trying to get back once again.  I've been running at a slower pace just to get the distance in while building back my cardio. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"