Postpartum Depression

Panic Attack last night

Hi there,

I have never posted on this board before but I am seeking any advice or info anyone is willing to provide.  My son is 3 months old and I have always been a very anxious person.  During my pregnancy I had two really awful panic attacks and also felt depressed from time to time.  I was under a lot of stress during the pregnancy (i.e., finishing grad school, working full-time) and then in October I lost my job due to lay-offs.  My world fell apart. I pretty much sat at home everyday until my baby was born in November - which was so hard for me because I was used to being "on the go" all of the time.  After my son was born I remained depressed as I had to adjust to this new life of being a stay-at-home mom.  I don't feel like I don't want to get out of bed, am not experiencing any changes in appetite and have no thoughts of hurting myself or my son; however, I have this overwhelming anxiety about having a psychotic break and becoming schizophrenic.  I feel so bizarre for even typing this - I hear how irrational it sounds - but the anxiety and panic are constant.  I am afraid I am going to start hearing voices or something.  I used to work with individuals with schizophrenia - so I am thinking that my knowlege and fear of the disease are kicking my anxieties into overtime.  I had a panic attack this morning around 4am where I worked myself up to throwing up for two hours!  Now, I am anxious about having another panic attack. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any words of wisdom?  Thanks for letting me vent...

Take Care.

Re: Panic Attack last night

• From what little I know, it kind of sounds like you might have postpartum anxiety.  I would suggest calling your OB and talking to them about it.  I don't know much about PPA, but they might at least be able to steer you in the right direction.  GL to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a mental health counselor and I suggest you discuss this with your doctor AND look for a therapist. Medication can treat the symptoms but it sounds like you need to work on the other things as well. From what you mentioned you had a lot of changes in a short period of time which is stressful enough as it is without the added stress of being pregnant. Most people go through small bouts of depresions at various times in thier lives. The thing is that it is usually never severe enough to impede thier ability to function. Sometimes all you really need is a safe place to say all those thoughts out loud - without fear of being judged or ridiculed. I hope this helps a little but please don't wait to talk to someone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Throwing up because of anxiety- I've been there too. It sucks. I talked to my OB and he gave me Zoloft. I had my 6 week PP visit today and I'm going back at the end of June to talk about being weaned off of it around then. Talk to your OB. I am sure they can do something for you to take the edge off. I was constantly shaking and throwing up. I felt sick and exhausted and all the while couldn't sleep well. It was terrible. A few days after I started medication the worst symptoms stopped. I still get a little anxious from time to time but it's nothing I can't handle. I hope things get better for you!! :) It stinks going through this but it will get better!
  • Thanks everyone.  I called my OB this morning and am waiting for a call back after the triage nurse speaks with her.  I am feeling a bit better today and did sleep last night.  I am trying to stay positive!
  • I have a history of panic attacks. You can and should get help. Calling your OB was a great first step. I am in therapy and on meds and it is so helpful. I am here if you have any ?s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"