Health & Exercise
Options

those who lift weights

I am 8 weeks on Wednesday and still do my p90x lifting workouts.  I dont use heavy weights, do wall pushups instead of real ones, and I dont do abs or pull ups anymore.  Sometimes I get cramps while lifting.  I get cramps alot through this pregnancy, so I dont know if it the lifting that is causing the cramps while working out, or if it's just my normal cramping.  Have any of you experienced this?  Would you stop if it were you?  I have my first appt on Friday so I can ask him then, but I am supposed to lift tomm so I was just wondering.  Thanks!

Re: those who lift weights

• Options
    I lifted heavy weights throughout my pregnancy but I didn't have any cramping.  I would lay off until you get the ok from your doctor.
  • Options
    Listen to your body.  Don't push yourself, it's not worth it if that is what is causing the cramping.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have lifted heavy throughout my entire pregnancy. Up until last week...I had some bleeding and my doc told me no workouts for a week or so. I was back to lifting today, just took it easier. I decreased my weights overall, but have kept of my same routines for the most part (no pull ups, not as many push-ups, no large, quick movements).

In the first tri, I did notice some round ligament pain (assuming that's what it was). Where if I moved real quick, I would get a real sharp pain down low. I've always just done what feels right and if it feels weird, I stop.  I have felt great the whole time. Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker BFP #1: 6/30/09 EDD 3/10/10 DD#1 2/25/10 BFP #2: 12/20/11 EDD 8/29/12 m/c 12/25/11 4w4d BFP #3: 1/20/11 EDD 9/30/12 natural m/c 2/13/12 7w2d BFP #4: 6/25/12 EDD 3/6/13 Praying for a lil sibling for my sweet girl!
  • Options
    Great!  Thank you girls.  I am going to not lift until my appt on Friday.  Hopefully he will say the lifting isnt related to the cramps.  I cant imagine not lifting for the next 7 months!
  • Options
    I had alot of cramping early on and did some reading and found that it was normal. It's too early for you for round ligament pain I found out and I still ran and did weights and everything else. I didn't find the cramping was worsened by exercise and just did what felt right. However now I am dealing with some pelvic floor pain during running and it's frustrating b/c it looks like I am done running (unless I can do a walk/jog) and I was hoping to go for as long as I could. But now is not the time to push ourselves too hard  -  I have to keep reminding myself!
  • Options
    I have eased up on the weights throughout pregnancy.  I feel like I can lift more now than I did in the first trimester though.  If you are cramping, I definitely would hold off and not take any risks.  Definitely listen to your body.  In the first tri I would get light-headed with even light weights so I had to back off.  Now is not the time to push yourself. It can be hard when you are used to working out a lot, but better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    I would take it easy if you are cramping or spotting. I am still lifting and having no issues but I found if I push myself running too fast, I have spotting. So I am done running 5ks and doing any speedwork.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi girls...I am just giving you an update on what my doc said about lifting and cramping.  He said exactly what you all said, except he said I need to totally stop lifting if I continue to cramp while doing it.  Grrrr.  I know that I cant think about myself right now, and should only be thinking about the baby but it is still hard to hear!  Im going to try to lift one more time.  I am just going to use even lighter weights now.  If I continue to cramp then I guess my lifting days are gone for the next 7 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"