Multiples
Options

What did you eat before your C section?

So my C is schedule for tomorrow a.m. and I feel the urge to eat everything and anything today to make up for the 48 hours post surgery when i won't have the chance to. My Dr. said to eat a "light diet" the day before.

What exactly does this mean? Are there types of foods to avoid specifically? What did you have the day/night before?

With the risk of becoming that lady who over eats at 11:59pm, any food suggestions? I feel like I might die of thirst as well, as I drink water all night and am usually still very thirsty in the a.m.

Thanks ladies!

Re: What did you eat before your C section?

• Options
    I had take-out Chinese for my "last meal". :) I drank a ton of water up until midnight, and even though I was in the hospital and my c/s was at 6:30 am, I was still DYING of thirst all throughout my surgery. It sucked. I was more focused on how thirsty I was than my kids being born. Sad
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options

Ha! ?Well, I'll be the example of why you are supposed to fast... ?I had an emergency c-section at about 6:30pm. ?I obviously didn't know I'd be delivering that day, so for lunch I ate.... an entire pizza. ?Yep. ?Eatin' for 3... ?All I remember is being SO HUNGRY that day. ?Granted, it was a thin little frozen pizza, and I ate it over the course of a couple hours, but never the less, I ate every last bite.

Needless to say, I was vomiting all night from having the section on a full stomach. ?Bummer.?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yikes! I'm totally drinking until midnight. My surgery isn't until 11am. I seriously might die of thirst. I'm really going to try not to focus on it. We'll see...
  • Options

This isn't the same, but when I donated a kidney to my dad in 2003, I was required to fast for 2 days before the surgery.  I remember being slightly hungry the morning of the surgery, but what I remember most is BEGGING the nurses in recovery for some water.  I was so, so, so, so thirsty.  All they would give me was this wet fat q-tip type thing to swab my mouth.  Blech.  And I wasn't allowed to have any food until the next day.  But honestly, I was so jacked up on emotions that I didn't care about the food.  I was just looking forward to water.

So drink up before surgery!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was told not to eat/drink the day night before delivery in case I had to convert to a C, which ended up what happened to us in the late afternoon, so I was very grateful of the ice chips the nurse gave me as I labored all day up until the C!

As for food, i remember DH and I went out to dinner at my fave restaurant the night before delivery and I had soup & an entree sized salad. My indulgence around 9 o'clock though was a cupcake (oops). The w/o water factor was torture starting around 11 pm, but the excitement got me through the temptation to drink. 

I was glad to eat a "light diet" prior to C in case you end up doing what I did--throwing up during the recovery hour post C! All I had in me though was ice chips and a sprite (I gulped that post C when I had the shakes bad). But everyone is diff. and you hopefully won't yak! Ughhh

GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ate pizza at 7pm and had my c-section at 11am the next day. I didn't know it was happening, but I didn't have any problems with it and I was so out of it afterwards that I didn't get hungry until late late that night. I did get ice water 8 hours after, the nurses kept pushing it. I would avoid anything fatty or greasy before hand, so maybe some chicken and veggies instead?
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageCath&Brian:

Needless to say, I was vomiting all night from having the section on a full stomach.  Bummer. 

Unfortunately, this isn't the true reason they want you to fast.  It's so that you don't vomit DURING surgery and choke.  :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    Honestly, no one told me to each a light diet the day before (not that it would have made too much difference because I didn't realize that I'd be having a section until lunch time the previous day).  We did go out to dinner the night before at our favorite fancy Vietnamese place and I enjoyed every bite of it! 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    I did read that about vomiting/choking during surgery. I am absolutely going to follow the Dr.s orders. I think I'll eat something a little less fatty or greasy though to help with the possible sickness after. I do love some cheeseburgers going down...not so much coming up...lol.
  • Options
    i didn't change my diet the day before at all - i just didn't eat past midnight. I think i had pizza for dinner the night before (since the c/s was on a monday and we eat pizza with my family on sundays)
  • Options
    I had an emergency c on Saturday afternoon at 1. I had not eaten yet when my OB decided that I needed to deliver (I was already in the hospital on bedrest), but I had eaten a large meal the night before. My c-section was at 1 and I was allowed to have liquids in the afternoon like at 4 or 5. I was not sick or nauseous from the food or from the surgery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    They just told me not to eat or drink anything after midnight which I didn't and my cs was scheduled for 9am.  We went out to dinner the night before and I was stuffed!  Of course I regretted not eating lighter when I ended up throwing up after they gave me the spinal (something about it lowering your blood pressure).  Oops!  They did not specify what to eat/not eat with me ahead of time so I didn't think anything of it but the doctor made a comment about how your metabolism slows down when you are pregnant and you digest your food much slower.  Anyway, I was allowed to have some liquids around lunch and then regular food for dinner but I hear it varies by doctor and hospital.  I definitely wasn't feeling hungry until later anyway because I was so excited about my new babies!  Good luck!
  • Options

No help here.

They didn't tell me to eat a light meal at all - they just said nothing by mouth after midnight.

My IL's came down to help out with DD and I flat out told my DH I was not cooking so we went out to my favorite dinner.

I barely ate anything and felt like it was a waste of time and money.

I hated the fact that I wasn't able to drink after midnight.  I drink all night long - even before the babies were born.

While in recovery I said to the nurse can I get something to drink and she said no - you can have ice chips.  She also mentioned that the OR wasn't happy with my urine output.  Seriously I am carrying twins and you told me not to drink anything after midnight and it is now 10 am.

I was also a bit peeved that once they moved me into my room I was on a liquid meal.  I asked the nurse when I could have my first meal and was told dinner.

I barely ate the whole 9 months and that first meal was great - no m/s with enough room to enjoy more then a bite or two of each thing.

• Options
    I ate normal the day before.  I think that they said no food after 10pm and my c section was at 12 noon the next day.  I vomited a lot at the start of my c section but it was just bile type vomit, no food. 
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of the early morning c-sections. Mine's at 1pm :(  I'm already always thirsty plus with GD, it makes it worse. I don't mind not eating, but no water is gonna be dreadful.
  • Options
    My dr told me to drink a glass of milk at 3 a.m. and take the last of my medicine.  They weren't thrilled about that for my 11 a.m. c/s but didn't cancel it.  I was begging for water in recovery and my doula snuck me lots of ice chips/water :)  I breezed through the surgery--no vomiting, nothing.  But I refused pain meds until they let me eat since pain meds on an empty stomach can cause nausea.  Dr allowed me dinner about 5 p.m.  It was awful not getting to eat or drink before and after, but you'll make it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"