Philadelphia Babies
Options

OB/hosp advice - Abington, Bryn Mawr, Doylestown?

I have high blood pressure, which has been managed by my GP for the last 10 years.  I need to change my BP medications if I want to get pregnant, and my GP wants me to get set up with an OB who can decide what would be the best medication for me to be on during pregnancy.

So, for that reason my GP has rec'd I find an OB who handles high-risk pregnancies (even though I'm not currently considered high risk, I guess it could become so, and the medication issue complicates things a little bit).

Anyway, the closest hospital to me is Abington, but I've heard very mixed things about Abington Hospital, and about some of the OB practices that work out of there.  I have heard some good things about both Doylestown and Bryn Mawr.  I would consider the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, but I don't know if they would take me due to the BP issues.

How far is too far when choosing a hospital or OB practice?  Bryn Mawr and Doylestown are both about 30 minutes, where Abington is 15-20. 

Any information on the Womencare Practice in Abington?  I haven't seen as much criticism of this practice as I have about some of the other Abington groups, and I like that all of their doctors are women.

Basically, I need to find an OB practice to get set up with, but I don't know how to go about choosing, and the distance and BP issues are both things I'm wondering about.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: OB/hosp advice - Abington, Bryn Mawr, Doylestown?

• Options
    I loved all the doctors at Womencare OB/GYN.  They are all very nice and informative.  I never had a problem.  The staff is helpful as well.  I used to live in the NE, but moved out to Collegeville.  I never changed my GYN and still worked in Huntingdon Valley so I decided to stick with them when I got pregnant.  1/2 way through my pregnancy, I was laid off, but didn't want to switch hospitals.  Even though I was 45 mins - 1 hour away, I was happy with sticking to them.  I ended up being induced a week after my due date so the distance wasn't an issue at all.  I would say closer is better especially if you have a good hospital near you like Abington.  Good luck :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

BFP#3 12/09/12 - EDD 8/11/2013 - D&C @ 12w :: BFP #4 2/17/14 - EDD 10/28/2014 - M/C @ 6w

• Options

I went to Abington Primary Womens Healthcare and delivered at Abington Hospital and had no complaints

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Abington or Bryn Mawr is better with "high risk" pregnancies and babies. 
  • Options
    I just delivered at Doylestown and it was wonderful. I used Dr. Scott Dinesen who is amazing. He also does high risk so he may be a good fit for you.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• Options

I am with  Womencare in Abington and I have no complaints. Abington is by all means the safest place to pick for delivering and they have 3 practices associated with them. I tried Abington OB-GYN association and was not happy so I switched to Womencare and I am very happy I did. So far I had a very positive experience, I like the doctors, like the location and the hours. The best part is they have evening hours, as late as 8pm, which is great for a working girl. Also there are only 4 delivering doctors and most places have up to 8.

• Options
    I delivered at Doylestown and used Dr. Scott Dinesen. He handles OB, high risk and infertility. I will go back to him if I have a second child and Doylestown Hospital was great - I was there 5 days with a c-section.
  • Options
    I delivered at Abington (and will again) and LOVED IT.  I go to Abington OB/Gyn Associates and they are great.
  • Options
    I go to Abington Womencare. One of the things I don't like is rotating physicians. I feel that they ask the same questions all the time, almost as if they don't document or read the chart. The wait time to be seen can be excessive. However, they are extremely cautious with high risk pregnancy and will perform tests to put themselves and the expectant parents at ease.
  • Options
    really? No one has asked me repeated questions so far. They seemed pretty well informed.
  • Options
    imageJenF910:

I went to Abington Primary Womens Healthcare and delivered at Abington Hospital and had no complaints

Ditto this.  And i live in Collegeville, so had to hike it 1 hour for both my babies.  And ditto a poster below who said Abington or BM will better handle high risk.  They have a higher level NICU- meaning,  for example, g-d forbid you have a c-section and there is something wrong with the baby....baby will be sent to a better hospital and you are stuck at Doylestown.  Go with a hospital with the best nicu so you don't need to be seperated should a situation arise.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am with Womencare and I think the practice is good.  There are only a few docs there that do OB, and you rotate because if your primary doc isnt on-call then the others do know you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"