North Carolina Babies
Options

Raleigh area consignment sales

How do you learn about the big consignment sales in advance? In the past, I've only heard about them the day before they happen. Also, if I'm understanding correctly, if you volunteer, you get first crack at everything. How do you become a volunteer?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Raleigh area consignment sales

• Options

This is the big one at the fairgrounds. Looks like it starts on 1/18.  It's completely overwhelming, but it's a good one. I'm considering volunteering for a shift so I can shop early, but I'm not sure my nerves could handle it. Hmm... :-) Let me know if you want to go with me when I go.

This is my favorite one, at the Morrisville Outlets. There is a spring and fall one. The spring one isn't listed yet, but I think the spring one is in March, if I remember correctly.

This is a good site to check. Doesn't look like they've updated it with any 2010 sales though. 

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    Hughes (or anyone else), do you know what volunteering at kids exchange entails?  I looked at their website but it didn't say exactly what you would be doing, and I've never been to the sale.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I used to volunteer at the Morrisville one, but now it's just too far so this year I'm attempting the fairgrounds one. When you show up for your shift, they will assign you to various tasks. One year they asked who was good with a number pad, and that person got assigned to take payments. Whoever was most PG and couldn't stand the whole time got assigned some task where she could sit. I did check out where I took the tags off of things and put them in bags. It wasn't too bad. The next time I signed up for the final shift, so it was tearing down the equipment [clothes racks, etc].

There's a TMOTT one at the fairgrounds too. Can't remember when it is. Mom2Mom has a good list as well.

For the Morrisville one, it's not worth it to shop unless you shop the volunteer hours. I went during the general public time the last time and it was so not worth it.

For the fairgrounds one, you're ok if you go when it opens to the public, but I'll know better after I volunteer this time if it's even better to early shop. For clothes, I always go back for the last day when it's half price and still get a bunch of good pieces.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Options
    Oh and word to the wise, since you're only 16 weeks pg, wait until after your baby shower to start buying stuff. ;-) It's SO tempting to buy beforehand, but you'll get a bunch of stuff at your shower and random friends/coworkers giving you stuff that you might want to wait.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

• Options

I loved the morrisville outlet mall one, and found it well worth it to shop during non-volunteer hours, FWIW. They had a ton of clothes and it was well organized. :) I think expectant moms (ie... the ones who need EVERYTHING) might find it worth it.

Re: not shopping too much ahead of time, I agree, kind of. I think there are some things that make sense to think ahead on and just not register for. I took a targeted list of things to look for - exersaucer, bumbo, stroller, etc... things that I didn't register for to begin with. I mean, if I can get something like an exersaucer for $10, why have someone pay $80 to get it for me as a gift?But for clothes, ITA about not shopping too much ahead! Woops...

• Options

I did shop early on in pregnancy at consignment sales.  Like McJ said, if I can find something for $10, why have someone pay $80 new?  I bought what I could off of Craigslist and consignment sales and simply adjusted my registry accordingly. There was still plenty for people to buy from my registry, and there were still some things I wanted new anyways.

Here's the site I like to use for scoping out the local sales (in the triangle):

https://www.trianglemom2mom.com/consignment-sales

• Options
    imageMrsMcJamie:

I loved the morrisville outlet mall one, and found it well worth it to shop during non-volunteer hours, FWIW. They had a ton of clothes and it was well organized. :)

There are still a lot of clothes left over at that sale everytime, but all of the "good stuff" is definitely gone when it opens to the public. ;-)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

• Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I definitely won't buy too much ahead of time, but with mom and dad being daycare, I want to start thinking about extras of some things. But, I still think I'll wait until later in my pregnancy to start shopping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"