Attachment Parenting
Options

Those who have had a water birth - come on in

My birth center offers the use of the birthing tub for $100.  I am not sure that I would use it, as my other two children were very very fast labors and deliveries.

For those of you who did opt for a tub, did you use it? how did it not get cold on you?  What are your honest feelings regarding a tub for the birth or otherwise?

My midwife is neutral on it, and hasn't really advised me one way or the other.

Re: Those who have had a water birth - come on in

• Options

I had a water birth.  I had a fast labor.  My baby was born about 2 hours after I arrived at the hospital birthing center.  I got in the tub shortly after I got there.  Not long after that, I felt my body starting to push.  I never got back out of the tub before my daughter was born.  I loved it.  There was a felt "rope" hanging from the ceiling that I hung onto while I pushed in a squatting position.  We put baby on my chest after she was born and she starting nursing right in the tub. 

I don't know how it works, but it never got cold.  It was really, really warm.  I drank a ton of water because of it.

• Options

That sounds wonderful Cobalt.  BTW Jessica is beautiful.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I ended up not actually birthing in the water but I still labored in there for most of transition.

We had one that we rented set up in the middle of the kitchen.  DH ran a hose of hot water from our kitchen sink and there is a pump inside the tub to keep it warm.

I had a really long labor and by the time it was 22 hours in I was ready for some relief.  The weighlessness of the tub was great for me personally.

I think that it might be a good investment if you think you want to use it- your body may say differently once you are laboring but it also might be exactly what you need at the end of labor to get you the final strech.

GL!!!!

• Options

TY!

I am leaning toward at least having it filled and ready if I want it.  My other two were natural births, but in a hospital without the benefit of birthing balls, tubs or even the ability to walk around like I wanted to.

I think this birth is going to be alot more relaxed and warm water sounds heavenly from what I had in hospital.

• Options
    I labored in a tub, but the wouldn't let me deliver there.  I really wish I'd had the option.  It was heavenly!  For $100 I say definitely go for it!
  • Options
    I was in a birthing center with a tub and LOVED it.
  • Options

I didn't actually birth in the water but I labored in it for hours- between the tub and the shower. I had awful back labor and it felt wonderful to be in the water, it was pretty much intolerable when I wasn't in the water (let's be honest, lol, it was intolerable anyway, but much better in the water!) I highly HIGHLY suggest it, especially if it's only 100 bucks. May be the best 100 you spend! GL :)

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    I had a waterbirth and HIGHLY recommend it. I think it really helped me with the pain. The temp stayed comfortable b/c DH and the midwife kept draining a bit and adding warmer water. It ended up being too warm for me at the end, but they had to keep the temp at a certain degrees b/c the baby was about to come. I will have another waterbirth in the future.
  • Options
    Thank you guys, that was terrific feedback.  I am leaning more toward it than ever.
  • Options

Maybe I should add that the tub I was in was a built-in birthing tub at the birth center. (Basically a bathtub). That's why it was easy to open the drain and add warmer water. I don't know if the tub you are wanting to use is a portable one? In that case, I'm not sure how it works as far as draining and filling the tub.

I also pushed (even though my whole pregnancy I was told not to PUSH out the baby, but instead let it come down on its own, LOL) for 3 hours. Luke was 8lbs. I did not tear AT ALL! Midwife said that was courtesy of soaking in the water for so long and allowing my body to relax and stretch.  

Good luck!

• Options
    I had planned to use the tub at least for labor, and possibly birth (depending on how I felt in the moment). I had a very fast labor and was only at the birth center for about 40 minutes before my baby was born, so I didn't have time to get into the tub. I arrived pushing and just got onto the bed. I think it is great to have the option if you want it, and I know it is wonderful during labor for many women.
  • Options
    I had a waterbirth and it does take about an hour to get the tub filled and to the right temperature, so give yourself that time.  I was only in the tub for about an hour, but the water was very warm, I even had to hang my head over the side because I was getting too hot!  It was really nice, but it wasn't deep enough for me to feel "weightless".  And bear in mind that by the end of it all, that water is going to be murky and black, and when you get out you will be sticky and covered in.....everything.  But for labor and pushing I did really like it, and I loved how effortlessly the baby came out, came up to the surface, and was placed on my chest.  We stayed in the water for a good while after he was born and he stayed nice and warm between my body heat and the warm water.  It was nice.  I didn't notice the gross water (and my gross hair) until afterward.
  • Options
    I laboured in the tub (didn't deliver) for a bit, and absolutely hated it.  I'm probably the odd one out, though! 
    TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"