Working Moms
Options

Daycare mishap (sort of long)

Last night we had parent-director conferences for the first time.  This was a really great idea.  I thought it was just going to be parents complaining about stupid stuff (and there was some of that) but we gave the director some really good ideas for ways we can communicate better with the school and teachers and I'm really happy with that.  I know that because of the age and the fact that they are potty-training, my son's class is definitely the hardest and busiest class so this made all the parents feel better. 

I feel like such a bad mom. I noticed that my son had new teachers and it sort of crossed my mind that I hadn't seen a few teachers in a few weeks but I guess I thought they had gone to other classes.  I've been in a daze lately with my work situation and my daughter's PT so I just haven't been paying attention.  So it turns out that one of the little girls in my son's class (actually my son's favorite classmate) was left on the playground a few weeks ago.  They did a headcount and another little boy from another class snuck in the line so they didn't notice she wasn't there.  When her MIL came to pick her up shortly after, they realized she was gone.  So the three teachers in the classroom were terminated and they have now instituted a chainwide policy to take attendence each time they go outside instead of just counting.  The parents kept their daughter in the school and have been really good about it.  I'm so sad because I'm realizing today that one of the teacher's was one that I really liked and one taught my son since he was a baby.  I know it's not a forgiveable mistake - I mean this is someone's child that got lost so they had to be let go.  But I'm sad for them because I know mistakes happen, the class is really busy and this economy sucks for finding a job (I know this first hand since I've been looking).  The whole situation makes me sad and I just wish it hadn't happened!

Re: Daycare mishap (sort of long)

• Options
    I would feel bad too even though it's a bad mistake.  It's a part of life - everyone has to go through this at least once in their life.
  • Options

It is so hard, I know.  DD's teacher got fired this summer-as in, she was there when I dropped DD off, and was fired on the spot in the middle of the day.  It stunk b/c DD loved her, and the teacher had been there as long as we had DD at this center, and had a son in the same room who was DD's good buddy.  Then the replacement teacher started, but injured her knee on a family vacation and had to quit.  Just when DD was really starting to get attached to her.

Daycare turnover is insane, and makes it hard as a parent.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That is sad, and I know how you feel.  It stinks sometimes that people you want in your life or your children's lives make mistakes that mean they can't be there anymore.

I'm surprised the center didn't notify you that all of the teachers in your son's room had been fired.  Working parents are super busy, and we definitely can be in a daze sometimes with all the demands on our time.

You know you aren't a bad mom, by the way.  You're a great mom.

• Options

This is EXACTLY why I have DD in an in-home daycare!!

(It's a joke!  See the posts below, been some drama in the last few days...anyway, you aren't a bad mom at all.  This sucks for those teachers and I don't feel they should have been fired over one instance, maybe written up instead?  I hated the turnover at our daycare center, that's a part of the reason we switched to an in-home.)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It was obviously a terrible incident, but IMO, they shouldn't have been fired. They followed the daycare's procedures to count the kids. It's sloppy procedures that are to blame, no?
  • Options
    I originally didn't think they should get fired either - and I honestly feel so sad everytime I think of these women without jobs.  They really were good people.  But when I spoke to Haylie's mom, I found out that she was outside for 15 minutes by herself, curled up against the fence crying hysterically.  If they got back inside and realized she was gone and went back to get her, I'd say they shouldn't be let go, but who knows how long she could have been out there if her MIL hadn't come then to pick her up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"