3rd Trimester
Options

kick counts vs. my OB

So they say you are supposed to count kicks, but my OB said as long as I feel the baby move at least once a day........anyone else get told this?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
I LOVE MY THREE KIDS! :)
imageimageimage
Want great discounts?? Want to earn free Scentsy or even earn some extra money??
Click on the logo and ask me how!

Re: kick counts vs. my OB

• Options
    The nurses at L and D told me to do kick counts but that was later in pregnancy. Maybe it has something to do with how far along you are?
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't been told to do kick counts yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageDiscusCoach:
    The nurses at L and D told me to do kick counts but that was later in pregnancy. Maybe it has something to do with how far along you are?

That most definitely could be. I actually didn't even ask if I am supposed to do anything. Some other OB saw me for my 28w check up and kept asking me "Are you sure you are feeling the baby moving around okay and enough?" He asked me like a million times to the point where I started feeling uneasy. So I emailed my assigned OB who I absolutely love and that's when she told me as long as I feel him moving at least once a day I'm good. How far along are you supposed to count usually?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    I LOVE MY THREE KIDS! :)
    imageimageimage
    Want great discounts?? Want to earn free Scentsy or even earn some extra money??
    Click on the logo and ask me how!
  • Options

I was told to just keep an eye on the movement, and if I was concerned or there was any noticeable difference to do the kick counts.

But this little rugby player is rolling around all day long- it's more often that I get 10 kicks in 5 minutes, much less an hour.

• Options
    My OB didn't have me start doing kick counts until after my 30 week appt (I think).  Before that, she just asked if I was feeling her move.
  • Options
    my OB had me start the kick count at 30 weeks, but it was only because he forgot to tell me to start at 28 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My OB has always said that if I don't feel any movement within an hour to lay down after eating something and wait. 10 movements (rolls, kicks, anything) within an hour is good although at L&D they told me 4 in an hour. As long as you are getting movements I think you should be fine, unless there is another concern.
  • Options
    My OB said as long as I feel her move everyday she made kick counts seem silly when I told her I was doing them..
  • Options

imageCeliarh1:
    My OB said as long as I feel her move everyday she made kick counts seem silly when I told her I was doing them..

My OB just asks if he is moving. The kick count thing is kind of confusing because they say 10 movements an hour, but then they say fetuses take naps too. So every single hour am I supposed to wake him up to get him to move 10 times? How rude.

Mine definitely has a sleep pattern so if I don't feel him moving at 11:00 a.m., 5:00 a.m., and between 11:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. I do get worried and try to wake him up with juice. Otherwise, he can go 8 hours straight without me feeling him move 10 times each hour and I haven't been alarmed because I assume he is resting. So I guess I have just been doing kick counts if he doesn't kick during particular times of the day that he usually does.

I do listen for his heartbeat with my monitor whenever I have pains or if he is just rolling around weird and squashed to one side or something. That makes me worry that he is stressed out more so than not feeling him move for a couple of hours. 

• Options

The only time I have been told to specifically do kick counts was when I got hurt and they wanted to make sure LO was moving enough...they also had me drink a cold sugary drink and lay on my side to do them (and this was at like 36 weeks). 

Besides that they just ask if she is moving. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options

imageRickeyandDani:
    So they say you are supposed to count kicks, but my OB said as long as I feel the baby move at least once a day........anyone else get told this?

Who says you are supposed to do kick counts?  I have seen it mentioned in these forums and maybe the What to Expect book (which is super annoying CYA crap anyway).  I trust my Dr. who has like 20+ yrs of experience over both of those sources. 

The Dr. office always ask if I've been feeling the baby move and they always listen to him when I go in.  Trying to count kicks seems like a waste of time and effort especially because 1) My LO is obv. very active  2) I have other things to do! 

I think this is something some companies starting promoting so they could sell counters. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me not to worry about kick counts, he said get to know LO schedule and make sure you feel movement during her awake periods but don't worry about kick counts.
  • Options

Yes, my OB told me the same thing.  Usually kick counts are recommended for high risk pregnancies, but everyone can do it for piece of mind. 

• Options
    You're supposed to start at 28 weeks. 
  • Options
    I have never been asked to do kick counts.
  • Options
    I just had my 28 week appt and doc told me to start doing kick counts.  She said I should feel at least 10 movements in a 12 hour period and if I don't to come in immediately.
  • Options
    I've been told to do kickcounts as of 32 weeks
  • Options
    My OB told me the same thing when I asked a movement question. She said as long as I am feeling movement every day that everything is fine. She said babies sleep at LEAST 12 hours a day and the baby may be up when I am sleeping and move a lot more than I feel.
    MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012 
    Rainbow Violet 
    born: 9/11/13

All ALers welcome! 
  • Options

I specifically asked my OB about kick counts, and he discouraged them because he said it makes some women too nervous if they try counting when the baby is actually sleeping.  He told me instead to make sure I don't go six hours without feeling something, and to call him if I notice any major variance to my LO's usual patterns.  I had a recent check-up with someone else in my OB's practice and asked him the same question - I got the exact same response.

• Options
    Originally my OB said not to worry, just make sure the baby is moving. Now that the cord is wrapped around LO's neck, she said to just be more conscious and if I notice a sudden decrease and don't get any movement in an hour to call ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"