Weaning question — The Bump
D.C. Area Babies

Weaning question

My doctor said the best way to wean was to drop one session per week- so now I am down to morning, midday and evening. Next week, I will drop the midday. After that, is it easier to drop the morning or evening first? Any advice is much appreciated!

TIA!

My Bio

My Blog

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt549ec.aspx[/img][/url]

Re: Weaning question

• I've heard a lot of people say that they dropped the evening session last, although when I tried (and failed) to wean properly, I ended with the morning session because that was our favorite, and her longest, nursing session. 

Whatever you do, don't do what I did!  A few weeks ago we were out of town and I gave her random bottles here and there since we were out and about.  Then I got sick, and my supply majorly dropped. Then we tried to go back to 3 feedings a day, and they were short and it wasn't enough.  Then I went away without DD for the weekend, forgot my pump, and came back with no supply. 

As long as you do it slow and steady, aka drop one nursing per week, I don't think it matters which one you conclude with.  Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • I'm still nursing at night and in the morning. DD nurses to sleep so that'll prob be the last one to be dropped, but I've got more milk in the morning. So I really don't know but good luck!
  • I'd drop the feeding that she is least attached to. 
  • I agree with PP, drop the feeding that is easiest and that she is least attached to.  For me, we were down to 3 feedings at 11 months--one in the morning, one when I got home from work and one at bedtime.  The one after work was the first to go (she was distracted by other things, including dinner), then the morning feeding (one morning we just did breakfast right away) and the very last feeding to go was the night time one (mainly because I didn't want to mess with our easy bedtime routine at the time, but when I did finally drop it, she was fine).  In my case this was over the course of 6 months, but that was mostly due to personal preference.

GL!

Alice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards