Orange County Babies
Options

Breast to Bottle

Hi Ladies,

DD was in NICU after she was born and was being bottle fed with a little bit of breast feeding. I was so happy when she finally took to the breast, I stopped bottle feeding completely. She's now 7 weeks old and I have a work function I need to go to on Wednesday. I have had no luck at all getting her to take to a bottle with pumped breast milk in it. Any tips, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Re: Breast to Bottle

• Options

Have you tried this bottle?  The nipple is designed to be the closest to BF'ing, maybe she will take to this one?  We used it when introducing DD to the bottle and it worked for her.  GL

forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • Options

I had this problem with my DD except it was when she was 4 months old rather than 7 wks. Got lots of advice from several different sources, so had to try lots of different things out. Here are some of the things we tried. What worked for us may not work for you, but maybe something will:) 

-try different bottles/nipples

-have DH or someone else feeding with bottle and you out of the room, maybe even out of home (supposed to help b/c baby can smell mom and may not take bottle)

-feed DD bottle with her facing you -- i.e., sit with knees propped up (~45 degree angle), place her on lap with back on your quads/thighs facing you.  This is (along with trying different bottles/nipples) is what eventually worked for us.

I think we got other tips, but I don't remember them all right now. To be honest, at first our DD didn't want to eat when I was not home. She'd just make up for it when I did get home. Eventually she took to the bottle, but it was a little slow going at first.

I'm sure it'll be fine and I bet you'll get lots of great ideas on here or elsewhere (have you checked on kellymom or La Leche League?)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks aug06,

I'll give this bottle a shot. It looks very promising, I'll pick it up today!

• Options

Thanks BeachBrideinCal,

Thus far I've tried different nipples and leaving the house with very little success, but I'll try propping her up and see what happens.

• Options

We had good luck with the Dr Brown's bottle - a pain to clean but my son really liked them.

My husband was always the one to give a bottle.  In the beginning, when we wanted my son to get used to it, he would give the bottle when I was out of the house, so my son could not see, hear or smell me.  

How long will you be gone?  If you feed right before you leave and right when you come home, will it be a really long time for your daughter to go without eating if she continues to refuse the bottle?  I hope your husband can get her to take it.

Karen

https://oc.citymommy.com - the ultimate site for OC moms!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"