Birth Stories
Options

Home Birth Story

When I was pregnant I check this board to see if anyone has posted successful home birth stories but unfortunately there weren't many so here is my birth story for those that are interested.

This was written 2 weeks after birth and he is now 2 months and growing up quite nicely. Enjoy. 

After a few weeks of false labour Milan Thomas arrived onJune 30th 2009, 2 days late. At 2am June 30th I woke upto 2 strong contractions which I thought might have been my imagination since Ihad been willing him to come for a few weeks. I got out of bed to go to thebathroom and realized they were real contractions when my water broke.  I woke Chris up since I figured if I had tobe up so did he.

I called my parents and sister to let them know since theywanted to be here for the birth and they live 4 hours away, I wanted to makesure they got there since my sister was my doula. I also called the midwife tolet her know that my water had broken, she told me to call back when I couldn?ttalk through the contractions.

We tried to lie down and get some sleep while keeping trackof the contractions. My mom and sister arrived at around 7am and I had themstop and get some food from the grocery store since I had planned on gettinggroceries that day and obviously couldn?t. By the time they got there mycontractions were pretty strong but still bearable. I decided to call themidwives at 9:00 since the contractions were very strong at that point. Ourmidwife Carmen and our student midwife Emily arrived at around 10:00. When theygot there they hooked up the Doppler and we heard our little guys heart beatingstrong. They then did an internal and we found out I was 6cm and 80% effacedwhich made the last few hours worth it. They found out that I still had my forewaters and that it was my hind waters that had broken at 2am. Carmen asked meif I?d like them to go ahead and break my water, she said it would be more painfulbut it would make things go quicker. I figured since I was going to be in painanyway it might as well go fast.  Theybroke my water at 11 and I hopped in the shower knowing that the contractionswould be a lot worse, and they were.  Atthis point they called Grace our secondary midwife to let her know what washappening. They then called her back and told her to get here now because I wasprogressing really fast.

I hit 10 cm within an hour and it was time to push. I hadquite the team around helping me every step of the way. I changed positions afew times but still remained planted in my bed. The thought of moving did notimpress me. With an hour of pushing Milan was out. He came out slightlysideways and gave mommy a nice big tear. I delivered the placenta in whatseemed like 2 min. I had quite a bit of bleeding so they gave me two oxytocinshots to help with the bleeding. Grace stitched me up and did an amazing job.Milan weighed in at 8lbs 11oz and pooped on the way out so we?ll never knowwhat his true birth weight was.

Things have been good but the recovery was worse than Ithought it would be. My mom stayed for a couple of days after to help out butother than that we?ve been on our own, with not knowing anyone in the city.Breastfeeding has been going amazing and he was a great feeder from the start,he was back up to past his birth weight in 4 days.

Overall I don?t think our birth could have went any better,well I would choose not to tear but it wasn?t that bad. When I told people Iwanted a home birth they looked at me like I had three heads, now that theyhave seen and heard about what a successful home birth is like they are muchmore progressive in their thinking, I know I changed my father in laws mind. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Home Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"