High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

crap, did I just mess up my 24 hour urine?

I was standing up post peeing and I sort of spilled ALL of the pee. I tripped over my own feet Embarrassed

Can I just extend the time a little bit? Or will I have to start over? I don't want to bother my OB tonight... should I keep collecting it and call in the morning? Or not worry about it? 

Re: crap, did I just mess up my 24 hour urine?

• Options
    I would just start over with the next time you have to potty since you spilt it all anyway.  My ob says to start at a certain time, and dump the first sample in the toilet and then start collecting after that.  She only does a 12 hour test though.  That would suck though, sorry!
  • Options

imagecourtz00:
    I would just start over with the next time you have to potty since you spilt it all anyway.  My ob says to start at a certain time, and dump the first sample in the toilet and then start collecting after that.  She only does a 12 hour test though.  That would suck though, sorry!

I have an extra container (learned my lesson from last time, lol) so I think I'm going to put the initial one in the fridge and start a new one from the time I spilled... I'll call my OB in the morning and see if she wants me to combine them or just keep doing the 2nd one and dump the first. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My Dr. told me that if I missed a pee then I had to dump out the entire collection and begin again because the test will not be accurate if you miss even one.

However, I would NOT throw all that hard work away just yet and would do exactly what you are doing. Hopefully she tells you just to add another collection after your first morning pee tomorrow.

• Options

For an accurate 24 hour urine, you're going to have to start over - sorry :-(

If you knew the timeframe of what you collected (like, you had collected everything for x # of hours after emptying your bladder into the toilet at x time), your lab *might* be willing to do the calculations to extrapolate what that means for a 24 hour period.  Most, in my experience, aren't.  One of the lab techs looked at me with some concern when there was an extra hour in my jug (I overslept that morning).

And I don't know how many times I've done the 24 hour collection - probably 30+.  I've yet to be told I don't have to collect 24 hours of urine when that's the test ordered :-/

Sorry!  I've screwed up enough of them to know what a PITA it is!

• Options

Honestly it just makes me feel a bit better that somebody else has screwed one up too! It seems so simple- put pee in jug.

I ran out of room for my very last pee on my last 24 hour... it came back right at 300, so I have no doubt this one is going to be higher. I DID remember to ask for two jugs this time though!

• Options
    if you run out of room, you can actually use any container or jar or whatever.  The main benefit of the jugs is that they're free and have screw-on lids :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"