Working Moms
Options

Day Care Anxiety

Hi all - so I just started back to work full time last week, and our DD will be starting day care the 1st week in August and will be just shy of 5 months old.  She'll be at an at-home daycare with 6 children (infants - 2 years old), and 2 caregivers, and the place came highly recommended by several moms. However, I'm already having major anxieties about how DD will adjust. She's a great kid -- happy and easygoing for the most part --  but this will be a huge change for her. What kind of changes in her behavior should I expect? Do all kids experience trouble napping/eating during the switch from home care to day care, or is there a chance she could sail through the transition without blinking? I'm hoping for the latter, but I'm a worrier at heart. Anyway, let me preface all this with saying how much I like reading this board - when I get my twinges of working mom guilt I come here and feel so much better to see other working moms in the same boat as I am. Anyway, TIA for any advice/words of wisdom. - T

Re: Day Care Anxiety

• Options

I was panicked about it before I went back to work.  I kept reading the posts that it would be ok, and it has been.  My son is doing just fine.  I haven't noticed any changes in him.  He goes to an at home place.  You probably won't feel any better until it happens, so hang in there in the meantime.  GL! 

• Options
    I was really anxious before DS started daycare, too.  Especially since he was so difficult to put down for a nap and could get fussy.  He's done great with daycare so far (about a month) - I think he loves the activity and being able to watch the older child (there is one toddler and another infant).  I've noticed that he spaces out his feedings more there (I BF so he gets a bottle there) but that is actually a good thing.  He takes a bottle fine.  The first week his naps were short, but they were at home as well.  Now he is napping better at daycare than at home.  Your provider has a really great adult to child ratio, I'll bet your child will do really well adjusting.  Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my dd started daycare at 16 weeks... she loved it... giggled at the other kids nonstop
  • Options

We didn't have any issues - DD is in her third week at daycare. She's doing great and really thriving there. She's very happy and they definitely keep her engaged all day. I was concerned about the napping and the bottles but she's doing just fine. The only thing that I've heard is it's good if other people are feeding your LO so they are used to that. It wasn't an issue for us because DD had taken bottles from me, DH and both grandmoms.

I will say I was majorly anxious but the daycare providers are used to that too and helping moms get through the beginning.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    thanks to everyone for all the positive posts. reading these made me feel better. i will let you all know how things go in a few weeks. : )
  • Options
    It will be much harder on you than your child, I promise!  Children are a lot more adaptable than we realize.  If it's any comfort, my dd was (is) the worst napper, sleeper, serious separation anxiety her entire life (she's almost 2), and she eats, sleeps and plays so well at daycare (and much better at home since starting, too).  I still irrationally beat myself up with worry, but I know it's silly b/c my dd is doing so well.  Your child will be great-even thrive with the other babies around her! 
  • Options
    We switched daycares when jacob was about 7 months old. I think it took him about a week to make the transition, but he did fine. The good thing is that at their age, they adjust quickly. He was pretty laid back too, so that helped.
  • Options
    shannmshannm member

I have been very lucky and my DS adjusts really well.  In general he is better behaved and stays more on schedule at daycare.  He really thrives in the environment that our center provides.  I always seem to worry too much about changes.  Would it be possible to take DD to the daycare prior to when she starts full time?  Just to see how she reacts with the DCPs?  And if the DCPs are good, they will be very helpful with the transition.  They should ask you about how she likes to be fed, soothed, sleep, etc..  For example, my DS fussed the first day and the teacher knew (bc I put it on his form) to swaddle him in his thermal blanket.  It worked like a charm and they continued to do that for him when he needed until he grew out of it.

Your anxiety is normal but I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at how well she does.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"