3rd Trimester

Checking work email when on maternity leave?

Will anyone be doing this?  I have a feeling I will have to in case my temp has any questions. 

Re: Checking work email when on maternity leave?

• I think I'll have to at least a little.  Most of my personal mail goes there, plus I am involved in a professional society that I cant really take leave from.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I might just cause some of my friends email me at my work address. But I won't be working...
  • Loading the player...
  • meh - I might like once a week to filter though the BS, kwim? I wont respond to anything unless its a true need. After the initial 6-8 weeks are over i might check it once a day or every other day for similar reasons.

• Yes, definitely.  My boss will be supervising my student assistants and there are bound to be some issues... I am not going to spend a ton of time checking, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I will be.  Well, I'll be monitoring it anyway.  My job normally requires pretty much instant responses (I check my blackberry at least 3 or 4 times per day on weekends, and constantly during the week).  When I'm on leave, I'll probably just check it once a day or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I let everyone know my number if they had questions but no I did not check email and when I saw it later no one had emailed me anyway. People know with a baby your "out" but if you ARE coming back to work SOOn after baby it may be different. I was on leave for a while.
  • They shut us off completely...even take away the blkberry.
    Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I will.  We're in the process of moving changing the website management system and while there are people here to do the work, my clients are still going to be emailing questions to me.  I'll have to check to keep the volume down and make sure everything's getting pointed where it needs to go.
  • Employer issued Blackberries to some of the employees and I am one of them. I do use it for personal use as well so I will be seeing every work-related email that pops up in there. It will get annoying because a lot of it will be irrelevant and even though I can delete them off the BB, they're still on my email account connected to the network server, so I would have to log in on my home computer and delete the emails or else I will have a million to delete when I return. I guess I will make this a weekly routine instead of a daily thing or it'll just consume my time.

DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I work from home so all my emails are on my personal computer.  I am addicted to my email and have a Blackberry so I will definitely see every email that comes across my desk :(.  This is going to be an issue b/c I'm a control freak but I'm going to TRY and ignore them.
  • I was asked to but said no. My circumstances are a little different though; I was forced to 'terminate' my employment with the company when I left for maternity leave, I've not been promised a job to come back to, and I am not being paid any maternity leave compensation. SO, I said no. I think if all of those things were different (or if I at least knew I had a job to come back to) I'd be more then willing....

• imageBeeLove:
    I work from home so all my emails are on my personal computer. 

THIS!  I also have a huge event 6 weeks after LO is born so I will be reading emails to make sure people are getting the work done for the event!  I feel like since I work from home though and already have whatever schedule I want I would feel disconnected to reality without checking.  I can work at 4am during a feeding if I want to and no one would think twice about it since I do that normally.  Plus DH has WAY too much time off so I will want to escape into my own life for a little bit each day.

• Yes i am actually moving my "office" home for maternity leave.  Its part of the deal i worked out with my employer.  I'll be accessible via email if anything comes up, plus i want to stay on top of things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i might.  i asked friends not to email me at my work email.
  • I will be.  I also get all my personal emails too.  Last time I sent out an email to the people who contact me the most and let them know I was going to be out and who to contact in my place.  I still did some random emails...but I just FWD to my boss!
  • Unfortunately, I still have deadlines to meet even though I'll be on maternity leave.  I'll be checking and responding to my emails several times a day.
  • I have a personal blackberry but will take my work account off when I am on maternity leave.  My work emails will be forwarded to my temp until I return.  My manager and I have talked about her sending anything really important to my personal account so I don't have to check my work email.  Yes, I am getting paid for majority of my leave but I am also on leave and won't be doing any work.  I guess my company is a little different b/c they really encourage us to enjoy the time off and do whatever they can to make our leave as stressfree as possible.  I guess they figure the happier the employee the more effective we are when working.  When I was out with my first the time flew by and then it was back to work.  The 12 weeks fly by and then it's back to work and wishing there was more time for the baby.
  • Yes.  While I have transitioned as much of my work as possible to specific persons within the office, there is still a lot to stay connected with.  I've worked it out with my boss that I will check on occassion during the first couple of weeks, and then more frequently after that.  It will be much easier to do this than to cut myself off for six to eight weeks and have to deal with it all upon return. 
  • I will be...I am in sales and there will not be anyone covering/filling in for me in my territory when I am on leave. Most things I will be able to send to my boss, but a few things I will have to take care of via email myself. My company is continuing to pay me commissions for the 12 weeks I am on maternity leave so I dont think that managing my own emails is too much to ask. Besides, I probably only get 1-2 a week that would require a response and I am a little too much of a control freak to totally let go for 12 weeks : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"