Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anyone skip the epidural, but receive Stadol for pain?

I'm just curious how well this worked (do you wish you had done the epidural instead), and if there were any side effects from it for you or baby.  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone skip the epidural, but receive Stadol for pain?

• Options

I had both.  Stadol during early labor & the epidural after pitocin.

It helped to take the edge off...but I felt drunk!  The drunk feeling lasted all through the night & even in the morning I feel midly loopy.

Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • Options
    nilly5nilly5 member

Is Stadol the stuff that is supposed to just take the "edge" off of the pain? Cuz if it is, that's what I had, but they gave this to me about an hour or so before I had my epi. It really doesnt take the pain away, it just makes u loopy enough so u just dont care anymore and all u wanna do is sleep!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, & no side effects for me or the baby that I am aware of...other then the drunk feeling.  If I could do it again I would have skipped the stadol.  It did help me sleep but I didn't care for the drunk feeling.  I ended up with a c-section due to no progress but I don't believe that was due to any medication.
    Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • Options
    I had nubane a few hours before I got the epi. It made me feel drunk and didnt really help with the pain. I wish I would have just got the epi. And there was no effect on the baby.
  • Options
    I'm going on a tour this evening at an Alternative Birthing Center at which they don't offer epidurals, but will (if you want) give you this Stadol.  I'm nervous about not having the option to have the epidural... 
  • Options
    DNK777DNK777 member

imagehoundbaby:
    I had nubane a few hours before I got the epi. It made me feel drunk and didnt really help with the pain. I wish I would have just got the epi. And there was no effect on the baby.

This.

• Options

I had both.

I would never take stadol again. It made me sweat and I got ridiculously hot and started seeing Sesame Street characters around every corner and in my dreams.

Epidural was heaven. I never felt a painful contraction. However, I HATED the feeling of my dead legs. It drove me crazy that I couldn't even move them or lift them to help myself turn from side to side. Talk about helpless and vulnerable!

• Options
    I didn't have stadol, but I had Nubain. It did nothing for me and I requested the epidural.
  • Options
    I didn't want an epidural so I decided to go with the Stadol thinking that it would help take the edge off, I remember still being in pain and feeling so dizzy I couldn't keep my eyes open, if I had to do it all over again I would have skipped the Stadol and just gone with the Epidural much sooner.
  • Options
    I was in labor for 8 hours when they started me on Pitocin. Later, in the middle of a super intense contraction the nurse asked me if I wanted something to take the edge off (I had hoped to go med free) so I said yes. I REALLY wish I had just said no. It didn't help with the pain AT ALL, it just made me fall asleep between contractions. It sucked. I definitely will not be getting that again, I hope to do it completely med-free next time.
  • Options
    i had both..im terrified of needles so they gave me stadol to call me down for the epi. It helped me alot but it made me extremely drunk acting! My whole family and dh's got pics that i will never live down! no side effects for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"