Preemies
Options

question about a few milestones

My DS is almost 4 months and I was curious about a few upcoming milestones.   A friend had a baby who got his first tooth at 3 1/2 months and said something like "could be any day for you!"  I was assuming that teething would be one of the things that would be more in tune w/ his adjusted age (only 10wks) and we had plenty of time on even if he was on the early side.

DS is doing good w/ neck/head control but isn't grabbing at toys or objects at all yet.  He is cooing and smiling like crazy though and I love that.  Did your pedi let you start rice cereal at 4 months?  he is nursing non stop round the clock still and I think he would like it. 

also, when were you able to use an exercauser?  PJ is probably in the 12 pound range now and about 25 inches.  I tried him the other day and he looked tiny in it.  the poor kid is so bored w/ the same 3 fun things we for him all day.

imageimage

Re: question about a few milestones

• Options

We just started getting teeth at 5.5 months (3.5 adjusted) and DH and I both have early teeth in our family. But he is average for his actual age.  He began grabbing at things around 4-5 months actual.  We just started rice cereal after getting the go-ahead at the 6-month appt.  We've been putting DS in his exersaucer for about 2 months, but it is just in the last few weeks that his head control is good enough that he can enjoy it.  I'm so annoyed b/c I just read the exersaucer manual and it said it is good until baby is 30 inches.  DS is already 27, so I guess he won't get to enjoy it too long, unless he slows down on the growing.  We got DS the Chicco Duo Activity Gym when he was about 3 months b/c we needed something more entertaining than most newborn toys.  He loves it and it is really versatile and can grow with them.

• Options
    DD didn't get teeth until 8 months 6 actual. She started grabbing a little bit late, but was rolling over before her due date. It's hard not to stress over milestones, but they will do it and on their own time :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Robbie was 11 1/2 month actual, 8 1/2 adjust when he got his first tooth (and got a 2nd one the next day.) He did lots of "teething" before that.. drooling, chewing etc. The teeth move under the gums quite a bit so they can show signs of teething long before you see a tooth. Teething is one of those things that has a HUGE range of "normal." I wouldn't worry about it.

Grabbing things- He was probably 8w adj when he started trying. He loved his play mat and would bat at things quite a bit.

We started rice cereal about 3 1/2 months adjust because Robbie had a ton of feeding/reflux issues and the doc thought it would help. We only did rice for a few days and then switched to oatmeal as the rice was a bit constipating.

Exersaucer- Robbie was very, very small.. probably 8 or 9 pounds. I'd use a receiving blanket to put under and around him to prop him up. He never cared much for it, though. He had a WAY better time in the jumperoo. I had to put phone books (plural) under his feet to reach to bounce on, but he loved it.

• Options

My DS is now 8 mos (6 adjusted) and still hasn't had his first teeth.  My DH and I's parents can't really remember if we were early, but they were thinking just "average"... LOL  DH has been teething for a while now though.  You just don't realize how much bib is in his laundry!

We just recently put DS in the exersaucer, probably about 1 month now.  I now the box says 4 mos and up, but we waited.  DS does love it.  We don't keep him in there that long. I remember our OT/PT f/up, they said it's not that good to keep them in there too long.  Something about their legs? 

We didn't start DS with cereal until he was about 6-7 mos actual. Although our pedi gave us to go ahead to start, I wanted to wait a bit hoping his tummy would be able to handle the food when we started.  it's worked out well, DS loves his foods now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"