D.C. Area Babies
Options

Any teachers with babies in day care?

Hello all,

This is my first post on the babies board!  We recently found out that I am pregnant, I'm due in February, and I'm planning to go back to work at the end of August 2010.  (I'm a teacher.)  Any other teachers with babies in day care?  I'm wondering if you use a nanny or a center?  And also, how do vacations work?  For example, if you are in a center, do you have to pay throughout the summer to keep your spot?

Thanks. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any teachers with babies in day care?

• Options

I taught sixth grade, and some of my teacher friends told me about special day care situations for teachers in which they don't pay for the summer, but I think it is pretty uncommon.  (I'm not an expert since I SAH with DD).  I wish I could be of more help, but I think if you look hard enough you should be able to find something.  I believe most of them use at home daycare as opposed to centers.  Good luck!

• Options

Hello!

I am a teacher out on maternity leave. ?I start back up in August and have been looking at in home daycares. ?I have actually come across some providers who only work with or prefer teacher's children. ?One of my first questions has always been about the summer breaks and if they will still charge. ?I was lucky to stumble across two associations of in home daycare providers in Fairfax. ?I actually called the group leader and told her my specific needs and wants. ?She then directed me to providers that fit my needs. ?There were quite a few who only take teacher kids for multiple reasons. ?Some want the summers off and some open up their spots to school age children in the summer. ?I don't think many centers will accommodate teachers. ?It seems that in home are more flexible.

?

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know there are some centers that let teachers "off" for the summer.  When I was looking, I found a few Kindercares that did this, but I think they are all different.  We were lucky in that DH now works from home, so he watches her during they day.  I am really excited to get to spend this summer with DD.  1 more day of school then 2 more for teachers!!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not a teacher but just wanted to say congrats on your pregnancy!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Since I was on bed rest for about 20 weeks, we could not check out many places... I found that two facilities (I didn't call many others) that did offer teachers the option to not have the baby in daycare over the summer! I had our baby in February and went back to work right after spring break. Our center is very nice, and I can keep the baby out during the summer and pay just a little to "re-register" her in the fall (and that's it!) We don't have to pay over the summer :)

• Options

Our center runs like a school system so you sign your child up for the school year and then around March, you have to enroll them again if you plan to keep them there in the summer and they actually call this Summer Camp. My DD center has a full curriculum starting at 1 y/o so they run it like a school system meaning they have spanish class, art class, words, music class, cooking etc. and then when the summer comes they treat it more like a camp would be.

Then you enroll them again for the fall.

?

- LH?

• Options

I am.  I had DD in March and went back for the last 2 weeks of school to get grades together.  My DH and mother watched her for two weeks.  She then went into daycare full-time in August.  We use a Kindercare that accommodates teachers.  On full week (M-F) breaks and summer, we pay half price.  We found other daycares that were cheaper, but would not accommodate my schedule and therefore was more expensive for the entire year.  Last summer we kept her in daycare 2 days a week and paid a pro-rated fee.  This summer we are leaving her full-time and I am just taking her out on certain days since I have classes and things this summer.  The director offered to change her to 2-day, 3-day, half days, or full-time, whatever we decided for the summer.  They are very flexible.

Just on a side note...my pediatrician actually recommended keeping her in daycare in some capacity each summer to keep her routine.  I was surprised by this advice, but it did help last summer to transition her back to full-time.    

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a teacher still on maternity leave, but going back end of July (my school is on a year-round schedule).  We are using an in-home daycare and she watches several of my co-workers kids.  Since we are year-round, our summer break is shorter, but we have a fall break, and winter/spring breaks are longer than usual.  For this reason, our daycare lady only charges us for half a month (breaks are usually 3 weeks).  This is different than centers, who usually charge you for an entire month regardless of whether or not you will be there.  It sucks.
  • Options
    Congrats! I'm a teacher and we got dd into a center associated with a private school in DC, so dd will be pretty much on my school schedule. The center is closed during the summer so I don't have to pay for daycare when I don't need it. Email me if you want info on any of the school associated centers I looked at... eayode at yahoo dot com.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for your comments.

eayode, YGM!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"