Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Fly or Drive? Another vaca post!

These travel and vaca posts have me thinking...

We are in the very early stages of planning a trip to Ohio the week before Christmas, and we can't decide whether to fly or drive. While we'd normally do whatever was cheaper, nowadays we do whatever is easiest! 

So, would you rather fly and have to worry about flying with the car seat/stroller/pump/everything else or would you stick it out for a 2-day road trip with an 8 month old?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Fly or Drive? Another vaca post!

• Options
    We are going to Ohio next week. :)
    If it wasn't winter time when you are going I would say drive. But you never know when a nasty storm could blow in, I wouldn't want to be driving in that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd fly.  The extra $ to me is worth having only half the time of agony  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

There's positives and negatives around both, really. 

Flying - positives are that it's much faster, so less travel time.  But there are fees for checked luggage now, then there's going through security, you shouldn't overpack (even though I do all the dang time) and weather at that time of year is sketchy too. 

Driving - loooong drive.  Oof.  I love to drive, but I'm terrified of our first trip with the Buglet - she hates her carseat with a passion now, I can't imagine what she would be like after a trip.  Still the sketchy weather issues, although if you see it coming you could cut your trip short and make a run for it.  Bonus is that you can pack your car to the gills and it doesn't cost anything, hee. 

I am obviously no help, I'm just thinking of the same thing as we may be going to Denver for Thanksgiving and we can't decide if we'll drive it or fly.  I'm leaning toward driving simply because NM and CO are gorgeous and I love driving in the mountains.

• Options

imageMrsTotty:
    I'd fly.  The extra $ to me is worth having only half the time of agony  :)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Yes, Fly. Your sanity is priceless

• Options

I would fly.

I have made the drive from TX to OH many, many times and I would not attempt it until DD was in Kindergarten at the earliest.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am probably in the minority here but I prefer to drive. 

We did both at the holidays and the drive was so much more enjoyable.  We were able to pack extra toys for him, we did not have to lug a heavy baby around.  I did not have to limit what I packed.  When we flew I could not stand it!  We had his diaper bag (with toys), the carseat to gate check, our carry on, and we had to pay to check our bags, it was just too much.

Now I will also admit that I have a child that does not have a problem with being in his carseat, so we did not have any issues with him during the drive.  He slept the majority of the time, and when he was awake he just looked around. 

The drive was just more relaxing to me.

• Options
    Fly.  I have driven many long drives (mostly to MD or NC) and while I personally have no problem driving that far, I don't really want to do it with  my son.  I'd rather deal with a short, crappy flight than a long, crappy drive.
  • Options
    I would definitely fly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would say fly. You can buy some of the things you need when you get there.
  • Options

I would fly. We are heading up to Cincinnati in August because my brother and his wife are having their first baby (yay!) and I refuse to drive with the rest of my family. My husband, baby, and I are flying...the drive is too long for me. I can't imagine doing it with the baby.

• Options
    imageflygeah:

I am probably in the minority here but I prefer to drive. 

We did both at the holidays and the drive was so much more enjoyable.  We were able to pack extra toys for him, we did not have to lug a heavy baby around.  I did not have to limit what I packed.  When we flew I could not stand it!  We had his diaper bag (with toys), the carseat to gate check, our carry on, and we had to pay to check our bags, it was just too much.

Now I will also admit that I have a child that does not have a problem with being in his carseat, so we did not have any issues with him during the drive.  He slept the majority of the time, and when he was awake he just looked around. 

The drive was just more relaxing to me.

I am with you, we personally prefer to drive. Sophia has never had issues with being fussy in her carseat and is an awesome car sleeper. 

Sophia Kate 3.31.08 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I also say you should fly. We took Cam to VT last August, he was 8 months. We did a layover because at that point in his life, we felt a break from the plane would benefit us/him. He did great though, slept most of the time on the plane or giggled at people who made faces at him.

I'm worried about this year's trip to VT. This year is non-stop (3.5 hours) and he's older and not wanting to sit still or sleep in my lap anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"