Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Water Bottles Question

Hi, ladies! I have been on the DFW Board on The Nest a lot, but I just found out I was pregnant a couple weeks ago, so I am venturing over here. I've been married since May 2008 and my husband and I live in Fort Worth. He's an attorney and I am currently finishing law school (I'll be graduating on August 1).

The "Peanuts" post below made me think of a question I have. My mom recently read that you shouldn't drink water from water bottles while you are pregnant. It was related to the BPA stuff.

I know that it has been a big thing recently about BPA in baby bottles, but this article she read said now they are unsure about how it may effect (affect? sorry) baby's health in-utero. Has anyone heard anything about this or does it seem silly?

Re: Water Bottles Question

• Options

The more I research BPA the scarier it is, and while I wouldn't go as far as freaking out over taking a sip from a plastic bottle while PG, I would make an effort to avoid it.

?There are a ton of great stainless steel or aluminum bottles out there now that are inexpensive and great alternatives to plastic. You really should keep a bottle of water with you all day now, you're going to need it, so I say get a nice reusable bottle (Klean Kanteen and Sigg are two popular name brands, but there are a lot of knockoffs for cheaper) and fill it with some filtered tap water. ?

Not only will you be protecting yourself from BPA exposure, but you will also be protecting the environment. ?Honestly, I don't even think there is BPA in reg. small plastic water bottles, but there are a bunch of other chemicals and the carbon footprint those leave is pretty substantial.

?Oh, and congrats!?

• Options

Thanks for the congrats and the info! Can you tell me where I can get one of the Klean Kanteen or Sigg bottles?

I drink water ALL day long now but it's been almost exclusively out of water bottles. My mom just told me about the BPA in water bottles thing yesterday but I wasn't able to find a big reusable/BPA free bottle yesterday.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!  

I have never heard that. Seems a little silly to me...but who knows. All the suggestions/theories about what pregnant women can and (mostly) can't do astound me. The list seems to grow by the day...

• Options
    imagecactus5:

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!  

I have never heard that. Seems a little silly to me...but who knows. All the suggestions/theories about what pregnant women can and (mostly) can't do astound me. The list seems to grow by the day...

haha - I know! It seems like there are SO many things that are dangerous now.

• Options

This is actually something I try to avoid every day, pregnant or not. I've seen the actual KKs and Siggs at Dicks Sporting Goods, Whole Foods and Central Market. ?I've also seen knock offs at Target and Old Navy (just plain stainless steel bottles).

Here's an interesting trailer for a documentary about plastic water bottles and their impact on people and the environment.

ETA: Sorry first link didn't work, try this

https://tinyurl.com/kp5cue" target="_blank" title="https://tinyurl.com/kp5cue">https://tinyurl.com/kp5cue?

https://tinyurl.com/kp5cue?

• Options

I remember reading that BPA is only a danger when using hot liquids (like, warm formula or breast milk).  Who knows if that's true or not, I wouldn't risk it when there are so many good options for reusable water bottles.  Plus, why not drink from something that's reusable?!  I just got a Klean Kanteen from my sister.  She ordered it online.  She also got my daughter the little one to use as a sippy cup.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

• Options

I know nothing about the risks of BPA and pregnancy, but I was at Target the other day and they had super cute aluminum water bottles in all kinds of patterns for ten dollars.

Congrats on your baby!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congrats on your pregnancy!  I drank from plastic water bottles throughout my pregnancy & my baby is just fine.  ;)  That being said, I did buy some Nalgene bottles just because I wanted to have something I didn't have to throw away.

If you try to avoid everything that could potentially be unsafe, you might drive yourself crazy!

• Options
    I have a sigg bottle that I got from D ick's Sporting Goods. DH kinda freaked out and made me get one when we found out I was pg. I think it ran almost $25, but I use it every day. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagejenn4:

Congrats on your pregnancy!  I drank from plastic water bottles throughout my pregnancy & my baby is just fine.  ;)  That being said, I did buy some Nalgene bottles just because I wanted to have something I didn't have to throw away.

If you try to avoid everything that could potentially be unsafe, you might drive yourself crazy!

Same here, and T hasn't sprouted a third eye or an extra limb yet. 

I've used resusable bottles for years, just be sure to clean them very well or all sorts of nastiness can occur.  And please don't freak out over everything people are going to tell you during your pregnancy, or it's going to be a loooooonnggg nine months.

Good luck and congratulations!

• Options

From what I rememberof my earlier reseach, BPA is only a risk when you heat the plastic up (such as microwaving it, or running it through a dishwasher with hot water, etc) ... I'm sure that millions of women (including myself) have drunk out of regular water bottles throughout their pregnancy and are just fine.  So unless you're boiling the water first (in the bottle, lol) you should be fine.  You can find those BPA free reusable bottles pretty much anywhere though ... I saw some at Walmart the other day :)

Congrats!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options
    Better safe than sorry, but as a bottle drinker myself (both water & tea), I can assure you that DD is perfectly healthy.  One of my coworkers had a huge reusable plastic container she filled up with ice water every morning, and her goal was to polish it off by the end of the day.  If you do go plastic, please look into recycling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"