Detroit Babies
Options

mammamayI or others with childbirth/breastfeeding/new parent class recommendations

You wrote in an earlier post that you have out of hospital childbirth classes to recommend. I'd be interested in that information.  I'm delivering at Providence in Novi, but they only have a one day class that supposedly covers all.  I'm looking for other classes as I find it hard to believe that everything I need to know about child birth and after will be learned in one day.  As well as the tour....  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: mammamayI or others with childbirth/breastfeeding/new parent class recommendations

• Options

I delivered out of Providence Southfield and I took a childbirth class, a breastfeeding class, and a new baby class.   It's the same hospital system so that kind of surprises me that you say they only have 1 class now.  I would check the stjohn.org website and find a phone number to call and ask somebody about it.  My husband and I took a 2 day childbirth class, a 1 day breastfeeding class and a 1 day baby class.   Plus, a seperate tour.  So I'm also surprised that they have it all in one too.  

We live in Novi too, so feel free to page me and ask me any questions you may have. 

Good luck!

• Options

Ooops, sorry, guess I haven't been on in a while!  What kind of classes are you interested in?  I can give you the name for a general natural childbirth class that is fabulous (in depth...you will definately be prepared!), a good hynobirthing class (my only complaint about hypnobirthing is that that is the only tool they give you, and if that stops working, you're kind of out of luck...but if you KNOW that you are good with meditation and deep relaxation, this might be the class for you!), a birthing from within class (kind of artsy-fartsy, but it is great for some people), and a pretty good Bradley instructor.  If you'd like to email me  grabowski 4 at comcast dot net      I will be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the classes with you!

As far as breastfeeding classes go, please don't spend money!  There are La Leche League groups all OVER the metro area, they are FREE, in depth, and are very helpful.  The women who participate in the groups are just like you and me, they just support each other through the breastfeeding years.  The Leaders are NOT fanatics, they DON't judge, they do really strongly believe in helping (not browbeating) breastfeeding couples nurse without a problem.  A Leader is trained for at least a year, and must have breastfed at least one baby for at least a year in order to qualify for Leadership...that way, they have encountered many of the challenges that they are helping other mothers through.  Many of the nurses who teach breastfeeding classes have not nursed at all, or if they have it was for a very short time, so they may not have the same level of experience, and unless they are an IBCLC (who, in our area, are not teaching classes) they generally do not have anywhere near the training of a Leader.  This is not to say that the hospital classes are useless...but why pay for a class if you can get the same information and MORE for free?  The best way to do it, if you can, is to start going to meetings before the baby is born.  They run a series of four meetings once a month.  If you work, there are three or four night time meetings, as well, so that you can make it after work.  Then, if you are going to continue to work after the baby comes, it is a built in support group of other nursing mothers, who will have many of the same challenges as you might, with the same outlook on feeding your baby.  It is a great support system to have!  Here is a link to michigan's list of meetings.  Check the ones nearest you, and if you don't find the nighttime meetings, let me know, and I'll list them for you.

https://www.llli.org/Web/Michigan.html

The general natural childbirth class that I like does have some new parenting stuff included in it, the last class of the ten has a lot of that info in it.  Beaumont also has a few new parent classes...my husband like the daddy boot camp class.  I would also recommend the CPR class they offer.  It's "only" american heart, not red cross (which is the gold standard), but it's inexpensive and good information to have filed away if you need it. 

Hope some of that is helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"