Birth Stories
Options

Super long labor - almost 53 hours!

Alyson took her sweet time coming. After going into labor at 10 on Thursday night, we went into the hospital at 6 PM Friday night and were admitted at 9. We spent Friday night trying to walk through contractions and doing some other excercises to increase dilation and change the position of the baby, who was head down, but facing posterior.

Nothing seemed to work, and after being told I had no more progress around midnight, I was given a shot of Phenergan to help me sleep and be able to get back to work the next day. Neither DH or I slept well, and we were up by 7 with the pain of contractions so bad again I could hardly stand it. The Phenergan was wonderful and really did help take the pain away, but the effects lingered all day, and at some points I was falling asleep on my feet between contractions...kind of scary!

I labored all day at the Birth Center, in every way imaginable, only to be told every time that I had no more progress, and Alyson's head was not completely on my cervix, which was the cause of my lack of progress. The midwife said I could either continue to labor indefinitely in Family Beginnings or I could be moved over to labor and delivery and given Pitocin to help increase the strength and intensity of contraction so I could finish dilating. After already being in labor for 44 hours, I decided to go to labor and delivery for the Pitocin and an epidural.

At first it was great. The epi took all my pain away, and Pitocin was being very effective. I had increased by 2 cm within just an hour of being over there. Then progress stalled again. I was stuck at 7 for a long time, and the midwife could not break my water, due to a space between Alyson's head and the wall of my uterus. If my water was broken manually, there was a very good chance that her cord would prolapse and we'd have to go right away for an emergency C-section. My water finally broke on it's own, causing some more progress, thankfully.

By ten on Saturday night I was finally given permission to push and was told I was doing very well. Until about midnight, they realized that though Alyson had turned her position from face up, she was now sideways and her head was stuck under my pelvic bone. The nurses and midwife told me to push through it and she would pass it any minute. However, after another hour they realized that Alyson was not going anywhere without some additional help and all the pushing was causing her heartrate to drop. I was told to stop pushing (much easier said than done!) and they would call one of the doctors to assist with the vacuum. As much as I did not want my baby to be vacuumed, I was so anxious to have everything over with and to see my baby, especially after the already long labor and 3 hours of pushing. I had to wait about 15 minutes for the doctor to get there. When he came with the vacuum, he tried two times and the doctors decided I would need an emergency C-section in order to see this birth to completion.

I was wheeled into the OR while given a lot more medicine in my epidural on way there. DH went to change into scrubs and my mom went into the rotundra to follow the baby to the nursery after she born. They were able to start the surgery immediately after getting me into the OR and settled onto the table. They even started before DH was back in the room, which I was NOT happy about. From the time they started until Aly was born at 1:40 AM Sunday morning, was only about 5 minutes. The longest part was being cleaned up and being stitched and stapled back together at the end. I was told that it would not have mattered how long I labored or pushed, Alyson was not going anywhere on her own, because not only was her head sideways, but her entire body was.

Aly weighs 8 lbs, 1 oz and was 20.5 inches long. She scored 5-8-9 on her Apgars and the only reason the first was so low, was because of the trauma we had been through. She is doing remarkably well. I am feeling ok now, but the medicines from the surgery still has not worn off completely. I am starting to feel more and more the effects of it every hour.

Even though this was certainly not the labor and delivery I had imagined or wanted at all, the 52.5 hours were worth it to see my beautiful daughter. DH and I are so thankful to God for giving us this special gift, made even more special by all effort it took to get her here.

Re: Super long labor - almost 53 hours!

• Options
    Glad that she finally decided to make her grand entrance Smile Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wow! what a story! what a beautiful baby!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have pretty similar stories but I thought I had it bad with a 30 hour labor. Yes, it was all worth it-but still think they could've figured it out before we had the worst of both sides, the beforehand with contractions & then the rough recovery of the c/s after. Congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"