Breastfeeding
Options

How long are you planning on BF?

How long are you planning on BF?

Re: How long are you planning on BF?

• Options
    Hopefully I can for at least 6 months.  12 would be ideal to me at this point.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    EBF for 6 months, stopping around a year.  I just don't want have to have formula.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I EP and plan on keeping it up until DD turns one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    One year.  And here I am still going at 14 months.  I just can't bring myself to wean him.  He's so dependent on the am/pm feedings.....so I'm just taking things kind of week by week at this point.  I may still be here when he's two!
  • Options

imageBeasley17:
    One year.  And here I am still going at 14 months.  I just can't bring myself to wean him.  He's so dependent on the am/pm feedings.....so I'm just taking things kind of week by week at this point.  I may still be here when he's two!

Same here, the plan was to make it until he was one and now we're at 15 months. I don't want to stop until he's 2 but I'm thinking he'll stop before his next birthday. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My original goal was 1 year. DS is now 13 mths and I don't see us weaning any time soon. I guess I'll probably wean him by 2 y/o if he doesn't self wean by then.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options
    My goal is one year
  • Options

At least a year, although DH and I were talking about this yesterday.  He said he'd like to see me have a break from BFing before getting pregnant again and I kind of agree, but then again I can totally see myself BFing for as long as DS would like to. 

For those of you BFing past one year, how often are you nursing?  Have you had any longer trips away from LO?  Our friend is getting married in Thailand next year and I'm wondering if I would just pump while I'm out there so my supply doesn't tank.  Just the thought of weaning makes me terribly sad, so I'm pretty sure we'll go past a year.

• Options

As long as he wants.  We're to the point where I'm very confident we won't have to supplement with formula and honestly, he'll be getting pumped milk for a long time after that too since I can't donate my milk. 

Past a year old, my twins were nursing 2-3 times a day.  kds-it depends on how long you are gone.   You will prob want to pump if you'll be away for several days.  

• Options
    My initial goal is 6 months, but I'd love to make it to 1 year.
  • Options
    When I'm home with him on the weekends it's only 2-3 times a day.  Once in the am, before naps and before bed.  I give cows milk with meals, etc.
  • Options
    My first goal is 12 weeks... almost there! Then I hope to do 6 months... depending on how the pumping goes at work. 
  • Options

1 year, but this is my 3rd that I'm BFing, and so I know I can do it.......

GL to all the ladies!!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    Aiming for 18 months, but 12 is more realistic.  Like PP, I don't want him to have formula.  We're EBFing till 6 months (time flies!), then it's BM supplemented by solids.
  • Options
    Meh. I wanted to make it 3 months, and I've just done that. From here on out, I don't have a particular goal; it's however long it continues to work well for us. I am going back to work next week, so we'll see how that affects things. The thought of weaning him makes me really sad; additionally, I am REALLY F'ING CHEAP, and formula is beyond expensive, so I'd ideally like to skip formula entirely. I don't have any philosophical problem with formula, I just really am cheap. Did you know it can run you like $200 a month?! That's INSANE! So I guess I'd just like to BF as long as possible.
  • Options
    I'm loosely following child led weaning.  So far I've night weaned, and I've encouraged DD to give up certain nursing sessions, mostly by either not offering or distracting her and letting her nurse later.  She just turned 3 years yesterday and is nursing usually 2x a day.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    imagekds24:

For those of you BFing past one year, how often are you nursing?  Have you had any longer trips away from LO?  Our friend is getting married in Thailand next year and I'm wondering if I would just pump while I'm out there so my supply doesn't tank.  Just the thought of weaning makes me terribly sad, so I'm pretty sure we'll go past a year.

I went on a cruise with girlfriends when DD was about 16 months.  I pumped 2-3x a day, and she went back to nursing as usual when I returned.

I think you'll find a wide range of how often kids nurse past a year.  DD was 4x a day and 1-2x a night up until 16-17 months.  Then 3x a day and 1-2x a night until 26 months when I night weaned.  From 26-35 months we were at 3x a day.  About a month ago we stopped the nursing session after work so she's at morning and bedtime, occasionally more and occasionally less.

ETA:  I was gone for 3 nights/2 days a couple weeks ago for work.  I didn't pump once and was fine.  DD went back to nursing as usual when I returned.  Now I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Austin for work, and I plan to bring my pump (yuck) and pump at least a couple times while I'm gone.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Initial goal is 6 months, hoping to make it to a year.
  • Options
    my goal is one year!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

my plan was to start weaning at 6 months, and have her weaned at a year.

She's 26 months, and I'm pregnant with #2, and she's still breastfeeding.

So much for plans!

Embarrassed 

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

imageimage

I am the 99%.
  • Options
    imageAngela814:
    imagekds24:

I went on a cruise with girlfriends when DD was about 16 months.  I pumped 2-3x a day, and she went back to nursing as usual when I returned.

I think you'll find a wide range of how often kids nurse past a year.  DD was 4x a day and 1-2x a night up until 16-17 months.  Then 3x a day and 1-2x a night until 26 months when I night weaned.  From 26-35 months we were at 3x a day.  About a month ago we stopped the nursing session after work so she's at morning and bedtime, occasionally more and occasionally less.

big ditto.

DD nurses in the morning when she's waking up (like her dad, she's a slow waker), nurses down for nap, and nurses down for sleep. 

That's been pretty much it since she was about a year old.

It's so little, and it's so effective at getting her to sleep, it's hard to convince me that it makes sense to wean her.

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

imageimage

I am the 99%.
  • Options
    Well, DD is almost 14 months.  This week was my last week pumping at work (I gradually started dropped pumping sessions when she turned one).  I still have a tiny freezer stash, but when that's gone she'll be on all cow's milk at daycare (right now her bottles are 2/3 cow's, 1/3 BM).  Next I would like to night wean (sigh, that's gonna be tough).  But beyond that, I would like to let her nurse during the day when on days we are together as long as she wants (well, up to 3 anyway).
  • Options

imageRXjenna:

Me too.  Short term goal is 6 months, but 1 year (or until she self weans) is ideal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD self-weaned about 2 weeks ago at 2 years, 4 months.  I'd meant to go for one year, and now I'm kind of sad that she has weaned.
  • Options

My "plan" is to let her nurse as long as she wants to nurse. I'm not a huge fan of pumping so I probably will start cows milk when we're apart after 1 year. Almost 9 months in and I'm still taking it one day at a time.

• Options

I think I'll probably let DD decide, unless at some point I am no longer up for it and then I'll probably do some gentle nudging.  DD is 20 months right now.  I think it would be nice to go at least 2 years, but if she wanted to quit before then I think I'd go with it.  But I really do see us going to 2 or beyond.

Right now she nurses probably 3x during the day (before work, right after work, before bed) and 1x in the night most nights.

• Options
    My goal is 1 year. I have already started pumping to build my stash for when I go back to work. I will also be pumping at work and then nursing in the morning/night and on weekends. My goal is to never have to give DS formula, not because I don't think that it is good, just because it is really expensive.
  • Options
    IU_babyIU_baby member

I would like to make it to 1 year, but I'm taking it in shorter increments for now.  (6 weeks, then 3 months, 6 months, etc). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My goal is a year...I'm almost there!  I'm proud of myself...
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My goal is a year.  I'll either wean her after that or see how I feel and re-evaluate.  We'll try to get pg with #2 shortly thereafter and I really don't want to BF while pg.
  • Options
    imageRXjenna:
    same
  • Options
    One year! I hope I make it because AF is lowering my supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"