High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD Moms - Adjusting your diet??

Ladies,

Once you started testing your blood sugar, did you adjust your diet for better numbers or did you wait for the nutritionist or the doctor to tell you what to do?

My # after breakfast yesterday was 119 (limit of 120), so today I skipped the milk with breakfast to see the effect and my # was 104.  My fasting #'s are a little high too, (101 & 99)  but I know it's only been 2 days.  Did you body adjust on it's own to the diet? 

If you want to tell me to shut up and calm down, that's okay too!

Thanks - Kelli

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD Moms - Adjusting your diet??

• Options

I adjusted my diet on my own - but just made sure that I told my nutritionist what I had done and why.  My breakfast numbers are my worst - I was told to have 2 servings of carbs and 1 cup of milk.  I had to cut out all toast and milk - so I just moved the milk to later in the day.  She seemed ok with this.

My numbers improved as I progressed with the diet - so hopefully yours will too.  The fasting numbers you might not have good control over - so the things that help me the most is to make sure I have a good snack with protein and 15g of carbs before bed (usually between 9:30 and 10pm) and try to get as much sleep as possible.  I notice that if I toss and turn a lot at night or have trouble sleeping that my morning fasting numbers are always high.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you are having consistantly high numbers you need to adjust your diet.  Your body will not adjust to the diet, if it was going to do that then you wouldn't have to worry about GD at all because your body would just adjust to whatever you are eating. 

Everybody is different and your Dr./nutritionist will just start you out with the normal amounts of carbs per serving, but that does not work for everyone.  It is a lot of trial an error.  You need to find out how your body reacts to different foods.  I for example can't have milk in the morning, but I can have friut which a lot of people can't. 

As long as you are under the number (even if it is 119) then you are ok and the Dr. should be happy with that.  Fasting numbers are tricky.  Make sure you are eating a serving of carbs right before bed time to help with your overnight sugar levels. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm still trying to ge the hang of the diet.  I keep a food journal of what I ate so then if I have a higher number than what they want then I can remember not to eat that, or that much of it, the next time around.  Also, my fasting sugars are what seemed to be the real problem, so they put me on 2.5mg of glyburide for that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I adjusted my diet before I talked with the nutritionist. I didn't have the materials to actually test my sugar until that meeting though. I would say go ahead and start eating the way you know you should; it really is what's best for you and your baby.
  • Options

You'll probably need to adjust your diet on your own, up to a point.  If you're still eating healthy - which means you can't completely cut out the carbs, and your numbers are still high, then the doctor takes over from there.

My nutritionist said that some people are more sensitive to carbs in the morning, so she said to start with 3 carbs (45 g) and go down to 2 (30 g) if my sugar was still too high, but not to skip carbs completely.  She also said to combine carbs with a little fat and protein every time you have them.  Are you getting enough protein with breakfast?

• Options

My breakfast according to the plan is to be 1 milk, 1 bread/starch, 1 meat and 1 fat. 

So basically the first day I had:

1 cup 1% milk, 1 piece WW toast w/ margarine, and 1 scrambled egg.

Today I just cut the milk out. I meant to have 1/2 cup, but I actually forgot. Tomorrow I'll add the 1/2c milk back and see what happens.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been doing the diet since tuesday and my numbers have been back and forth. Yesterday I called and told the lady that my numbers had been high and she said it takes your body a few days to adjust and to stick to the diet until I go back next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"