2nd Trimester
Options

Pregnancy congestion??

Anyone else wake up feeling like their head weighs 100 lbs every morning??? My sinuses are so congested - i'm runny and dry all at the same time! By the time I go to bed at night, I am all cleared up, but it takes a good portion of the day to stop sneezing and blowing my nose.

Could it be alergies? I've never had alergies before...can you develop them in pregnancy??

Re: Pregnancy congestion??

• Options

Pg-related congestion is normally.

Sucky as hell, but totally normal.

I recommend a neti pot.  It's the only thing that's helped me so far.

• Options
    lkichlkich member
    My sinuses have been going crazy too. I don't have the sneezing so much as just having a runny nose that needs to be blown all the time. Congestion is normal though but you may have allergies as well. Tis the season :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been told that the mucus membranes can swell during pg.  My former OB (passed away) asked if my contacts felt different, apparently your eyes can swell a little???  Never had anyone else tell me that, including the ophthalmologist.
  • Options

What is a neti pot? (

You know how Leah Remini sounded all nasaly in King of Queens after she had her baby?? Does it go away or is it with you forever?!

• Options
    imageMamaTully:

What is a neti pot? (

You know how Leah Remini sounded all nasaly in King of Queens after she had her baby?? Does it go away or is it with you forever?!

It goes away.  Some people don't have it their entire pg, some do.

Google neti pot and you'll see what I mean.  Even buying a cheap one is worth it.

• Options
    OMG yes! I feel like I have a constant headcold, and while the doctor said I could take sudafed, it doesn't do a darn thing. Betweeen not being able to breathe thanks to the congestion, a dry throat, and needing to get up every 2-3 hrs during the night to use the bathroom - I haven't been this exhausted since first trimester!!!! I'm at 22 weeks and I "HOPE" this gets better...and yes, my contacts do feel weird lately.
  • Options
    I have the same problem EVERY morning. I'm going thorugh a box of tissues each day it seems. Allergies are my issue, but it's sooo annoying. Try Claritin or Zyrtec 10mg w/o decongestant.
  • Options
    Yup, my Doc said pregnancy can make you more prone to allergies even though you may have never had them before. ::sniff sniff, sneeze::
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had allergy/sinus problems before BFP but now they are so much worse.  Here are a few of my remedies -- Saline Nasal Spray, Good Filtrete Filter for A/C ($10-$15 a month), and menthol Breathe Right Strips. 

Also, make sure you are not sleeping with your head tilted down.  When my allergies get bad, I snore.  I had bad acid reflux about a month ago, and started propping myself up a little when I went to bed.  The snoring stopped and I could actually breathe when I woke up.  Acid reflux went away, I stopped propping up, and the snoring started back.  DH figured out (he was very interested in a remedy since he's the one who has to listen to me) that my pillow is tilting my head down a little (it's a foam pillow that contours to fit your neck--I've slept on one since a car wreck 8 yrs ago)  When I was propping myself up, I was tilting my head back up and my sinuses were draining properly during the night-ending my morning congestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"