2nd Trimester
Options

Changing Table downstairs

If you had the room, would you put a small changing table on the first floor of your home.  We were thinking of putting the Pottery Barn Classic Changing Table in the corner of our dinning room.  It actually would match our Pottery barn dinning room furniture.  We never use the dinning room except when we have guests over, in which case we can put the pad in the nursery for the evening.  Is this a terribel idea?

Alternate Color

Re: Changing Table downstairs

• Options
    i personally wouldnt do that... ill just use a pad on the floor.. or go to the babys room
  • Options
    I plan to have a pack and play with changing table for the living room.  I dont think a permanent changing table is a really good idea for the dining room.  Are you really going to want to move it when you have company? You'll probably have a lot more than just the pad (diapers, wipes, etc).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    well the baby's room is across the house and upstairs.  I really do not think that I would want to drag everything out and sit on the floor, change the baby and them put everything back where it belongs. 
  • Options

imagechelsearenee:
    I plan to have a pack and play with changing table for the living room.  I dont think a permanent changing table is a really good idea for the dining room.  Are you really going to want to move it when you have company? You'll probably have a lot more than just the pad (diapers, wipes, etc).

For the evening, I don't see a problem moving 4 baskets and a pad.  

• Options
    I have my old changing room dresser in what will be a sitting room downstairs.  I'm thinking of keeping it in there for exactly that, though I haven't decided if that's what I will do or not.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't.

1. I'm guessing that PBK changing table isn't cheap and I wouldn't want to spend the money on something like that if it's not really needed.  

2. You use a changing table for so little time that in general I think they are a waste of money (I prefer pad on top of dresser). 

3. Lots of mom's say that they end up using the floor a lot anyway. 

4. Even if you don't often eat there, I would not want a changing table in my dining room (and I'm pretty lax about poop, shiit I'm cloth diapering and will be washing poop and pee in our laundry room). 

5.  Evenif you take the pad off, guests will know it's a changing table in the dining room. Kinda gross to most people. 

6.  What about just using a pack and play changing table if you don't want to use the floor? I've heard lots of moms do that as well. 

• Options

imagecmdelpizzo:
    well the baby's room is across the house and upstairs.  I really do not think that I would want to drag everything out and sit on the floor, change the baby and them put everything back where it belongs. 

How much stuff do you need to change a baby? Mom's change babies EVERYWHERE.  Keep a basket in your living room of diapers, some wipes, and you're good to go.  It's really not a huge deal. 

• Options
    imageJCM083009:

I wouldn't.

1. I'm guessing that PBK changing table isn't cheap and I wouldn't want to spend the money on something like that if it's not really needed. ?

2. You use a changing table for so little time that in general I think they are a waste of money (I prefer pad on top of dresser).?

3. Lots of mom's say that they end up using the floor a lot anyway.?

4. Even if you don't often eat there, I would not want a changing table in my dining room (and I'm pretty lax about poop, shiit I'm cloth diapering and will be washing poop and pee in our laundry room).?

5.? Evenif you take the pad off, guests will know it's a changing table in the dining room. Kinda gross to most people.?

6.? What about just using a pack and play changing table if you don't want to use the floor? I've heard lots of moms do that as well.?

?

7. It's spelled 'dining'. *Runs back to 1st tri*?

• Options
    imageSmallandNeedy:
    imageJCM083009:

I wouldn't.

1. I'm guessing that PBK changing table isn't cheap and I wouldn't want to spend the money on something like that if it's not really needed.  

2. You use a changing table for so little time that in general I think they are a waste of money (I prefer pad on top of dresser). 

3. Lots of mom's say that they end up using the floor a lot anyway. 

4. Even if you don't often eat there, I would not want a changing table in my dining room (and I'm pretty lax about poop, shiit I'm cloth diapering and will be washing poop and pee in our laundry room). 

5.  Evenif you take the pad off, guests will know it's a changing table in the dining room. Kinda gross to most people. 

6.  What about just using a pack and play changing table if you don't want to use the floor? I've heard lots of moms do that as well. 

7. It's spelled 'dining'. *Runs back to 1st tri* 

lol 

• Options
    imageSmallandNeedy:
    imageJCM083009:

7. It's spelled 'dining'. *Runs back to 1st tri* 

::whispers:: you spelled it the same way as JCM did... 

• Options
    Referring to OP, saddling on the list post ;)
  • Options
    DH swears that the best change table in the world is the floor. We won't be bothering with a change table.
  • Options
    We're changing our dining room into a play room ... We never eat in there and it's a wasted room. So until the kids can climb the stairs we are having a play room downstairs.  With that being said, we are going to leave the pack and play downstairs with a basket of butt wiping goodies to change diapers. I wouldn't want to spend the money on a PB changing table unless you have money coming out the wazu (sp?)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just checked, that changing table is $350! Not a ton of money obviously, but way more than I'd want to spend to have a specific changing table downstairs when the floor or PnP will work just as well, if not better.
  • Options
    When my son was a baby we had a changing table in his room but used the floor or couch in the family room.  I worked out just fine.  I honestly wouldn't spend the extra money.  You don't use it for that long anyways. 
  • Options

I would do it. Especially for a table like that, which once you remove the pad would look nice with plants and baskets (for holding toys, etc).

Do you not want a PNP? Because we are getting one with a changing thing attached but that doesn't do much for storage if you also wanted the table for storing things.

Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options
    I probably wouldn't do it. But based on the set-up of our house, we really wouldn't need to. I would either use the changing pad on the pack and play or just use a blanket/pad on the carpet or just got to her room
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're not doing a changing table at all, so I guess that I'm not much help. Sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We moved to a very large 2-story house when my daughter was a little over a year old and, at the time, I really wished we had a changing table downstairs. With baby #2 on the way, that's definitely a priority. Taking her upstairs was way too tiring and changing a baby on the floor is not ideal. We have a downstairs bedroom (guest room) where I'll put the extra changing table this time around.

My only hesitation with your post is the idea of a changing table in the dining room has a little bit of an ick-factor for me. Are you getting a pack-in-play? I'd say try that out first with the changing table attachment and see if it's something you really want/need before making a big pottery barn purchase. And I'd vote for it to be in a downstairs bathroom or living room before the dining room. Babies are stinky.  ; )

• Options

I have in the past and will again.

I kept a changing table and a cradle downstairs for my 2nd DD and it was fantastic, especially for the first few weeks.

For this one, I bought a Pack & Play with an attached changing table and that will go in my dining room.

• Options
    yaleyale member
    We're going to keep the pack n play in our living room for this purpose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have a very small house but we have bought a changing table and put in our main room, basically where we spend all of our time.  I would have to go upstairs to the babies room every time andthat is not going to happen and didn't want to get on the floor either.  Plus then I could use the shelves for onesies and stuff to change throughout the day. 

I would go ahead and buy the changing table and put it where you want.  This will be my third baby (have 6 & 7 year olds) and have never had a table before

• Options

Our plan is to have a PNP downstairs in the living room, and use that as:

1) a changing station downstairs, so we don't always have to trek upstairs to change the baby in his room, and

2) a napping station downstairs for when the baby is being babysat by my parents and DH's parents.  Both my dad and MIL have bad knees and won't be able to go up the stairs easily, so having the PNP downstairs solves that problem.

I wouldn't do a changing table in the dining room....save your money and go with the PNP.  Much more useful for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"