Detroit Babies
Options

Where? Who? and Why?

I'm from the Macomb Township area and I was wanting to change hospitals and doctors.  Henry Ford or Beaumont?  Give your pros and cons of them and if you could also recommend a obgyn and peditrician for me that would also be great.  Trying to get it all in one posting here...Big Smile  THANKS EVERYONE!!

Re: Where? Who? and Why?

• Options

I go to Oakland/Macomb right by Troy Beaumont.  I will be delivering at Troy Beaumont as well.  I love the doctors there and there are many other ladies on here who go there as well.  I delivered my son at RO Beaumont through different doctors 5 years ago and I was very happy with my experience at Beaumont.  Good Luck!

Just realized you wanted a ped suggestion as well.  I take my son to Pediatric Health care on Mound Rd around 18 Mile.  They are great.  I know they offer mercury free shots (I specifically asked) and OP in another thread said that they are OK with her child(ren) not receiving shots and are not pushy about it.  I don't know where you stand on vaccines.   They also have same day appts on Saturday.

• Options

Depends on the kind of care you're looking for.  If you don't mind "typical" care, either one is fine.  If you don't want eye goop or the vit K shot, Beaumont is not the place to go, midwives or not.  Unless you want to get a note from your lawyer or a court order to avoid them, 'cause unlike Henry Ford (who couldn't care less if you LEGALLY decline the vit K or eye goop), Beaumont bullys you by threatening to call CPS on you if you decline.  Silly of them, really.  *sigh*

On the other hand, the midwives' care (Oakland/Macomb) is great in general during labor and birth.  If you have a hospital birth, there really is no comparison between them and a typical OB.

However, know that Beaumont in general has a cesarean rate that is creeping toward 50%.  It's a specific kind of mindset that leads to that, and it's one you may not want to be subject to!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do hospitals let you take a tour before settling on which one you choose.  I might want to check out the labor and delivery department before choosing also.   Oh yeah also...my oby right now... I love him but the thing that bugs me is when I have questions or think it's an emergency I call the office line and not his direct number.  Do many doctors do that..?!?  My sister in law has an oby out of rochester hills and has the oby's direct cell phone number.  Just thought it was kind of weird that mine was like that or is it just me.
  • Options

I ended up going to Oakland/Macomb and delivered out of Troy Beaumont and was extremely happy with both.  The nurses at the hospital were great.  They have tours- you just have to call and schedule an appointment.  I'm sure Henry Ford has them as well.

As far as the emergency line, I don't think it's common for a doctor to give out their personal number.  I always had to call the office and then the doctor would call me.  In a group practice, a different doctor is going to be on duty, so there's so way to know who to call.  Plus some people are quick to panic and constantly be calling.  Going through an office line first is a good way for certain questions to be answered and then any concerns can be fielded to the doctor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagewingsfan524:

I go to Oakland/Macomb right by Troy Beaumont.  I will be delivering at Troy Beaumont as well.  I love the doctors there and there are many other ladies on here who go there as well. 

Same here - I had a great experience delivering at Troy Beaumont, and love my doctors at Oakland Macomb.  I don't know how you plan to deliver, but Drs. Valice and Goymerac did my c-section, and the nurses couldn't stop complimenting my incision, and how supportive Dr. Valice was in the OR -- he held my hands and talked me through the spinal (I think he could tell I was very overwhelmed) -- the nurses kept saying that they had never seen a doctor do that before.  Their whole practice is like that though -- I especially loved that for every single appointment, the doctor came in, sat down, and asked me about any questions/concerns I had -- it was clear that my worries were their priority -- what they needed to do came second.  I never felt rushed, or like the doctor was annoyed at having to answer my questions.  Anyways, I, too, highly recommend Oakland Macomb and Troy Beaumont.

• Options
    Oh, as for a pedi -- we're seeing Mali and Mali pediatrics, which is directly across the street from Troy Beaumont, and their new medical office bldg.  We really like Dr. Vik and Dr. Zoey from the practice -- they're younger, very gentle with the babies, and like Oakland Macomb, great with questions, and there's never a rush.  We've also called a couple of times already (yes, we're first timers, lol) and though it takes them a little while to call back, I've been really pleased/reassured after talking to them, and they never made me feel my questions were silly or invalid.
  • Options
    I also go to Oakland/Macomb and they are great.  The pedi we use in at 22 & Hayes, Dr. Ventimiglia (586) 532-0599 and their office is great.  They really spend the time with you and answer questions and don't make you feel like you need to rush out of there.
  • Options

I delivered at RO Beaumont and had a great experience. The nurses were FANTASTIC, all of them; and when you're there for three days you go through several shift changes. We had a private laboring room, and the pp recovery rooms are converted double rooms, so they're huge. There's a bunch of chairs and a fold-out bed for dad...a LOT of space, which is nice when you have a million visitors all at once (which is inevitable). My only complaint is that Beaumont is a teaching hospital, so be prepared for a bunch of residents wanting to poke and prod you all the time. One of the students was actually the best 'checker' of them all, including the docs. My OB is in Royal Oak- Women First OB/Gyn Center. I love all the docs there, all female, but it's too far for me to drive...I'll be switching to Mission Obstetrics on Van *** and 13 Mile. (also RO Beaumont)

I live in Warren so I'm a little farther than you'd like to go probably, but I love our pedi, Dr. Renee Paye at Adult & Child Medicine on Common and 12 Mile.

• Options

imagecourtneyaok:
    Oh, as for a pedi -- we're seeing Mali and Mali pediatrics, which is directly across the street from Troy Beaumont, and their new medical office bldg.  We really like Dr. Vik and Dr. Zoey from the practice -- they're younger, very gentle with the babies, and like Oakland Macomb, great with questions, and there's never a rush. 

Just had to second this rec for Mali & Mali.  We see Dr. Zoy but Dr. Vik is great, as is Dr. Amy Youn.  I always go in with a list of questions and I always feel like my questions are valid and important.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"