Rhode Island Babies

Kent vs. W + I

I'm curious for feedback/personal experiences with both hospitals... my husband and his fam are pushing for Kent, but I like the idea that God forbid there was a problem, W + I has its own NICU.

Thoughts?

Re: Kent vs. W + I

• I just saw this board existed even though I am not PG. This is a long response, but I wanted to cover everything.  I delivered at Landmark and from what I heard it is similar to Kent. I LOVED it there.  The smaller hospitals offer a more personalized, intimate experience and it was close to home (I live in Cumberland) When I arrived at Landmark, I was brought immediately to my LDRP room to be checked. They have all private rooms where you labor, deliver and spend your entire stay all in one room.  The anesthesiologist was there in minutes when I wanted an epidural and I was the only delivery of the day with my first daughter and there were only 3 of us with my second daughter.  Unless I had a high risk pregnancy I wouldn't go anywhere else.  My general practioner delivered all her kids at Kent and wouldn't go to W&I. 

W&I is good if you have a high risk delivery or something is wrong with the baby, but the small community hospitals are equipt to deal with the normal issues and will send the baby to W&I if the need arises.  At W&I you go to the ER to be checked in and may wait hours. You also labor, deliver and recover in all different rooms, and most recovery rooms are doubles. 

It is all a personal choice.  I was actually nervous about the thought of NOT delivering at W&I, but wouldn't change a thing about my deliveries now.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. kellydwyer @ cox. net

Kelly

• I deliverd at W&I. Even though we did have to go thru er, I didn't have much of a wait because my dr called in advance. I went in 2 1/2 weeks before delivery and thought that the staff was great. I had my own room which the encouraged me to "make my own". I don't know about the l&d rooms because I had an emergency section (as scary as it was all the dr's nurses etc were really great) but the recovery rooms were shared, but seperated. I was in about 2 hours I think and the nurses were great in there too.  I would have ended up at W&I regardless, so I'm glad I chose there to begin with.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went to W&I for my 1st and am going back for my 2nd.  I really enjoyed my experience there.  It was the best place for me.  I had to have an emerg. c/s and was glad I was there.  I had my own recovery room and then they moved me up to my new room. 
  • Thanks for your candor
  • W&I was great. I knew anything that might go wrong that they would have seen it before. DD presented her set of delivery problems and they knew exactly what to do. The post partum nurses can not be beat. It was perfect for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • I used WI and will go back to that hospital in a heartbeat. I felt like by the time we left that we were leaving good family members. The nurses were a godsend and took excellent care of us. Also, my room was private and I don't rememer them ever saying it would be otherwise and I was picky about that. I arrived at 10cm adn ready to push so can't really speak to where they "put you" when you're laboring but from our classes I remember them saying they want you to labor at home as long as possible and they can't admit you unitl you're 3cms at least? I imagine then they'll put you in the room. I don't remember there being a just labor room.

Anyway I too wanted to be there just in case anything went wrong. I know my MW told me they can't let newly delivered moms come with the baby (of course, that's understandable) in the ambulance/heli and that would just tear me up knowing my brand new baby was going thru that and I wasn't as close as I could be (in the same hospital).

hth!

• i felt safer at w&i. the labor staff was fantastic at both of my births. recovery was fine there. i had no issues with them other than the er kinda sucks- but they all do i guess.
    mila belle 3.26.07 and isla leighton 5.12.09 image mila belle aka mimi and belle and miss isla aka ileigh : ) pregnancy calendar
  • I had my daughter at Kent and altho I really liked it being close to home and small ... the nursing staff were not the best, they made me feel dumb and were unbelievably not helpful with lactation issues, I'll be going to W&I if/when I have another.
  • I delivered at W&I and had fantastic experiences both times.  I never spent much time in triage b/c I was 5-6cm/2-3 minutes apart the first time and 6-7cm/5 minutes apart the second time (I was terrified of being sent home so I waited as long as I could...I live in Jamestown so I had a 30 minute drive w/o traffic)!

Some nurses were awesome others were lazy and didn't see me unless they had to, others brought me things I didn't even know I needed and I loved them for it!  DD#2 had a medical issue while I was recovering and they sent everyone imaginable to evaluate her.  She is fine but I am thankful I was there...not sure what would have happened at another hospital.     

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"