Preemies

Hello everyone

Hey, I am new to the Preemie board.  I had my daughter 7 weeks early.  She wasn't due till April 10 and I had her Feb. 24.  I have a bunch of questions for you girls.  My baby is having difficulties swallowing her food.  She tries to drink her bottles so fast that it makes her gag and last night she started choking and stopped breathing because formula got stuck in her throat.  We had to call 911 and they came over after we finally got out the lodged formula.  We went to the doctor today and found out that she will need to see an occupational therapist to learn how to swallow.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I also would like to know how to go by milestones.  What I mean is how do we work the gestational age versus the actual age?  Will she just be 7 weeks behind?  She already weighs 7 pounds now, but she was born at 5 pounds 4 ounces.  (yes I know, she was very heavy for a 33 weeker)  I am sorry this is so long, but I really appreciate the responses.

Re: Hello everyone

• AidgeAidge member
    Well, first of all, congrats to you! And second- how scary! Sam had issues choking as well, but this was due to his reflux. Once he went on meds, it got much ?better. I'm glad you're seeing an OT, though, and you might want to inquire about reflux as well. ?As for adjusted age, we are told we need to adjust until Sam is 2. ?So we think of it as although he is really 9 months old, he is "adjusted" (based on his due date) to 7 months. So milestone-wise, he is doing what a 7 monther is doing, for the most part. ?It helps to think that way, so that you don't think you LO is behind. ?I wish you luck, though, and welcome to the board!?
  • Hello fellow Fl preemie mom, my mom lives in Oviedo. Congrats on your new daughter. Did she spend any time in the nicu? How scary that must have been to have to call 911. Welcome to this board, you will find it very helpful.

For milestones, most people say go by the adjusted age so yes, she will be 7 weeks behind. I have found that my DS(also 7 weeks early) seems to hit most milestones about halfway between his actual and adjusted age. Milestones have such a big window for fullterm babies so there is no tellin when your baby "should" smile, or grasp objects ect. Your pediatrician should have good insight on this topic for you as well.

I don't have any insight on the swallowing issue but I hope you find some answers soon.

• Loading the player...
  • I do not have any answers for you as since my baby had different issues but I wanted to say congrats and welcome.  I am sorry you are going through all of this.  Last night sounds very scary.  I hope the OT can help with her swallow.  I do know that is a common issue for preemies.  Good luck.  
  • Hello and welcome. I am sorry you are having to deal with this.  But my sisters daughter had a similar situation and had a swallow study with an OT. After quite a bit of work - things got better.  My niece has down syndrome so I know that makes a difference but hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck. I cannot imagine how scary that was. Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"