Alabama Babies
Options

made our first baby food...

I did some butternut squash today.  It was SUPER easy.  I cut it in half, baked it on my pampered chef stone wiht a little water in the bottom for 40 minutes

Then I scooped out the 'meat' of the squash and used my cuisinart stick blender to puree it.  I filled up 2 ice cube trays with one squash.  Took about 15 minutes. 

So - for ~$2 - I made 27 oz of pureed squash.  The earth's best little jars are 2.5 oz for $.79/ea.  That is a savings of over $6. 

I'm so excited about starting solids!  I gave her a taste on my finger - THAT was pretty funny!

Re: made our first baby food...

• Options
    Wow! That's great! We will be starting baby food in the next week or 2. I may break out the processor and try it myself!
  • Options
    We made a lot of baby food too. It's funny to see how much just one squash, or one of anything, will make. Have you checked out www.wholesomebabyfood.com? They have tons of recipes, great tips for when to start which foods, and tons of ideas for food combinations (when you get to that point). They also have great recipes for finger foods too for later!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You're a better woman that I am....  I had all the best intentions of doing that but never did!
  • Options

That's impressive...I had good intentions, but DS will barely let me out of his sight to cook a regular dinner, so I don't see it happening any time soon.  Oh well, we'll hopefully be on table food in 3.5 months anyway!

• Options
    This is something I really really want to do.  I have a friend who does it and she saves so much money! 
  • Options
    It was really simple, but I'm super lucky that Robert can watch Avery when I do it.  She really enjoys hanging out with daddy
  • Options

Good for you Sarah!!  I need to get one of those stick blenders...I'm just afraid of how C. will do with the noise though.  She's not a big fan of loud noises...it's the one thing that scares her...poor baby.

• Options

Fran, the stick blender is actually quieter than a vacuum is - not really noisy like a normal blender.

Poor caroline and her sensitive ears.  Avery is SOOOO not sensitive...if she was she would be in a world of hurt at this house - we always have noise going on. 

• Options
    imagesdkrlm:

Fran, the stick blender is actually quieter than a vacuum is - not really noisy like a normal blender.

I have a stick blender (my pawpaw calls it a boat motor) and it is super quiet. Lot less noise than a regular blender!

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    This sounds great, I had received a food processor and the stick blender for our wedding reception, so I will be excited to try this out. Thanks for the website with the receipes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear you saved money! I was really thinking about doing this but then I found conflicting articles about whether or not you actually saved money. We are planning on having a small garden this summer so hopefully I can make use of our veggies that way. They will keep frozen several months wont they??
  • Options

I make Jude's food also.  It is really easy and not hard or really even that time consuming. 

I was making his rice cereal with ground up brown rice and then boiling it like normal for about 10 minutes.  I would then thin it out with breast milk.  He isn't as fond of it - so the doctor said that I can just stick with fruits and veggies.  He loves his carrots!

I can't wait to see how Avery likes her food!

• Options
    That's neat!  Good job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"