Pregnant after 35

Well, I told work

And it didn't go too well I think. My supervisor's first reaction was "Oh my God" and "I have to talk to HR". And the color drained from her face. So I think I totally shocked her. Then I tried to soften the blow by saying I plan to come back, yada yada and I understand if the company can't offer me 12 weeks leave, etc. But I could tell she was kind of pissed. It doesn't help that she's in her 50s, single and lives with her dog. She's totally devoted to work. I think if she was a mother she would understand better.

Oh well, it was going real well up to today, so I hope this doesn't totally screw up my chances there. It seems so unfair that we have to deal with this as women. Men don't have to deal with all this stuff. I'm kind of depressed now.

Maybe after she gets over the initial shock she might soften a bit. We'll see...

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.

Re: Well, I told work

• Oh, NewMrs07, I hope that things get better and I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped. I'll be thinking of you.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • That's brutal! I'm so sorry your work reacted that way. It drives me nuts to hear those stories - you're right that men don't have to deal with it, but more importantly, that people react that way at all makes me wonder about people.

Maybe she's also a bit jealous?

• Loading the player...
  • What a crappy reaction, that sux. I will be taking a 12 week leave, and if I have any medical complictaions due to an extensive back problem, I suffer from AS and my OB is concerned about the stress on my back for delivery so I may take an additional 12 weeks,  I was lucky my work friends especially one of the guys is organizing a shower at his house! It is so cute and thoughtful, for June 19th...My real shower from my family and friends is June 28th. I agree that jealousy shows evil from everyone! GL and do not let her bring you down
  • I told my company about 6 weeks ago.  Luckily, my 60+ year-old male supervisor had some recent experience with another pregnant employee's maternity leave, so he was fairly pleasant about my revelation. 

My company only provides 6 weeks of maternity leave which I am very thankful for (8 if you have a C-section), but I am going to take the additional 6 weeks (under the Family Medical Leave Act) withouth pay so our baby will be just about 3 months before I go back.  I haven't yet told them my plans to take the additional 6 weeks off yet, and I'm not sure when I'm going to drop that bomb.

Worrying about your job while dealing with the "ups and downs" of pregnancy is very frustrating.  I totally understand.  I sincerely hope your boss can try and put herself in your shoes and be supportive as you continue your journey into motherhood.  We working moms definitely have to know our legal rights and ensure we are being treated fairly.  I will be thinking about you and sending you well wishes until your maternity leave starts.   

• Oh man, that really sux, sorry to hear that they reacted in such a creepy way.  I told my direct supervisor a few weeks ago and he's been acting very weird around me since.  I'm trying to reasure him that i'll be back (if they'll take me back!), and unfortunately they only provided a paid 1 wk maternity leave but I also have 2 wks of vacation (I know) so that'll help me for 3 weeks....but after that, I'm screwed unless he gets generous......

I hope it gets better for you and she'll realize this weekend what a sour-puss she must have been, good luck on Monday and please don't let it worry you, hopefully HR will have a better understanding and be more compassionate.  Enjoy your weekend!  :o)

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right now I am taking off a lot of vacation time in December. ?That way it is already preapproved time. ?And I am also waiting to use my sick time in December as well. ?Everyone in my department asks off for vacation and uses their sick time in December. ?The weather is usually bad--if it snows, people cannot get to work, or they have a cold, or they just want to spend time with family around the holidays. ?

If this pregnancy works out, then I am just going to work with my supervisor to see what maternity leave plan would work the best. ??

I am lucky. ?My supervisor is a grandmother. ?And there are a couple of women in my department who have children. ??

Hopefully, your supervisor will warm up to the idea. ?Just let her know that you are still committed to your job, and that this is the one time in your life when you can have a healthy child. ??

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • I am so sorry her reaction wasn't better. When will you know the aftermath? Do you have to wait until Monday to know how it will all shake out?
  • I am so sorry to hear about the reaction from your supervisor that was really rude!  Maybe you are right she might soften up a bit after awhile.  I am sorry her first reaction was like that is was really tactless.  I am keeping you in my thoughts and hope all is well! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks girls :) I've been stressed about that. Today I went off on my parents and my husband. These pregnancy hormones, plus the anxiety about the job and being a first-time mom are all getting to me. I am so jumpy lately! I just have to find a way to relax (maybe prenatal yoga and swimming) and just let whatever will be, be. I think HR will tell her what's legal and what's not and she will just have to chill. I don't qualify for FMLA b/c I will have been working there less than a year when I go on leave, but I'm hoping they will at least give me 8 weeks of unpaid leave. It sucks that they company also doesn't offer short-term disability, so the leave will be unpaid. I don't even worry so much about the money portion, more about the possibility of them not holding the job for me (legally they don't have to in my situation).

We'll see next week I guess. I imagine I will have to meet with my supervisor and the HR director to discuss. And I also would like to come back and only work 4 days instead of 5, but I won't drop that bomb until much later on. First I have to see if I will have a job by then.

Wish me luck and thanks for the kind replies!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • some people are just so rude!!  wishing you lots of luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"