Working Moms
Options

any M.D. or D.O.'s here?

I am in med school and taking a leave of absence for 6 months after LO gets here.  In all honesty, how do you think it's possible to balance clinicals and residency with a NB?

Re: any M.D. or D.O.'s here?

• Options
    I am a 3rd year peds resident, and obviously I think it is possible. Why do you ask?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How far along in school are you?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It depends on your support system and availability of childcare in the evenings (your DH or someone else). And what specialty you choose.

What year are you in med school?

• Options
    Yes, it's possible! I had my first son in med school at the end of second year, then took a year-long leave to be home with him. Worked out really well! Had my second son three months ago- I am now a radiology resident. I've been really lucky, but then again my husband is very supportive (and not in medicine) and we live very close to my parents. That said, it's certainly not easy... but we make it work!
  • Options
    Agree with the above post- childcare situation, finances, specialty choice, etc are all important.
  • Options

I agree that it is helpful to have a husband not in medicine. I'm so thankful my DH works a regular job and has weekends off.

Either way, your support system is the key!!!!

What year are you? I have friends/coworkers who have had children at every level of medicine, all years of med school/residency/practice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    WIsh I could write more but I'm usually nursing, chasing an almost-four-year-old, or at work...but wanted to suggest you check out the forums on mommd.com, too.
  • Options
    I second the mommd rec, I've gotten good advice in regards to kids during residency, etc.  I'm an anesthesia resident and my DH is a neurosurgeon, so yes I think it's possible to have a NB and be in residency.  Although I must say I imagine it's much easier/less stressful when only one of you is in medicine and working our crazy hours.  Dh works probably 90-110/wk (I don't recommend neurosurg) but even in residency I'm averaging 60-65hrs/wk  as anesthesia is one of "lighter" residencies.  We have a morning babysitter who comes at 5am and a home daycare that can keep our son until 11pm, and is willing to watch him on the weekends.  I can say I'm exhausted a lot though, and haven't cooked since maternity leave, but we get by and I wouldn't have it any other way.  You may find it hard to take a long maternity leave in residency if you have another kid then, but I think that's also specialty-specific.  There have been other women in my dept that took 4-6 mos leaves (mostly unpaid of course), but in surgery it's rather discouraged to take more than 6 wks.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"