Houston Babies
Options

Did anyone deliver at Methodist Willowbrook?

I'm trying to pick a new OB and I will not go back to Woman's to deliver. Methodist Willowbrook is fairly close to me and an OB I'm considering delivers there and I'd love to learn more about that hospital.

How was the experience?

Did you have a c/s or vaginal birth?

Assuming your DC was perfectly healthy, did they they take him away for "mandatory observation" or tests or anything? Or did you get to keep your baby with you the whole time?

Did they give you a chance to try to BF within an hour of birth?

Any other info to share? Any policies that annoyed you?

- Jena

Re: Did anyone deliver at Methodist Willowbrook?

• Options

I delivered both kiddos there.  I really love my OB and was willing to make the drive up there (I live in Clear Lake) to be able to stick with her. My experience, especially the second time around, was excellent. I had a vag delivery and afterwords they did take the baby for cleaning/observation etc.  However, DH was allowed to go and stay with baby the entire time. I am not BF, so I do not know how they handle that. I can't think of anything that was overly annoying or bothersome. Hope this helps!

• Options

Thanks, do you remember how long your baby was gone?

My problem with Woman's (ok, one of them), is that their policy is to keep the baby under observation for 4 hours. They say in their childbirth class that's it's only 3, and that if you have a c/s that you'll be in recovery for 2 hours and then it'll only be one more hour before you get your baby. But these are all lies. When actually giving birth there, they tell you that it's 4 hours and that it's "state law", which is a bold-faced lie.

And then for me, it actually ended up being 5 hours before I saw DD, even though neither of us had any complications whatsoever. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

I might end up at Memorial Hermann med center to avoid it, from everything I've read at MDC and ican, they are the most baby-friendly place in town (oh, and both hospitals in the woodlands are supposed to be great, but that's just too far for me)

- Jena
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We were able to keep her with us for about an hour afterwords.  Then they took her to the nursery (with DH staying with her) for about an hour and then they observed her for an hour.  So total time that they kept her was about 2 1/2 - 3 hours (max).  They were really good with informing us as to what was going on with her.

That is sad that you had to wait so long to see your DD.  I don't know if every scenario is the same, but I am certain that it was nowhere close to 4 to 5 hours before we saw the baby. 

I hope that this was able to help and give you some insight on how it works over there.  Just let me know if I can answer any more questions.

EDIT:  I just asked DH how long he thought the baby was gone for and he thought it was no longer that 2 1/2 hours max.

• Options

I delivered there last April. Vaginal birth.

GREAT experience...

I was scheduled for an induction at 5:30 am...but they called us at 3 am and told us not to come in b/c they didnt have rooms available...so we were bummed...then i started having contractions an hour later...called OB and she said just go to hospital they will take care of me.

When we got there they immediately set me up in a room, IV, bloodwork. There were so many nurses in the room when i delivered and they were ALL soooo supportive and helpful, making me feel comfortable and safe.

Immediately after she was born they took her to the table in our room to weigh, measure, etc...then back to me. I immediately nursed before she even left the room.

They took her to the nursery to do tests or whatever they do - but husband went..she wasnt there long. As soon as i got back to my room they brough her back to me after they gave her a bath, etc.

I was able to keep her in my room the whole time, if I wanted. I let them take her to the nursery so i could get a couple hours of sleep one night. The pediatric nurses and my nurses were soooooo wonderful, i had the best experiences there and felt so sad when i left....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for asking this question. I will be delivering there not to long from now. I had a kidney stone when I was 22 weeks and was very impressed with every aspect of labor and delivery when I was there, even though it was not to deliver. It was very clean and everyone was very nice and quick to get things done.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I did not deliver there (at NW Medical Center) but had a friend deliver there. All was expected to be a safe & easy delivery but she ended up w/ emergency c-sec. She did comment about the "nazi lactation nurses" LOL but I think that's par for just delivering :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"