Adoption

I can't believe how expensive adoption is!!

We just started looking into adoption. I emailed some local agencies and received a response with a fee guide attached.

This particular agency requires $3,500 just for the homestudy and paperwork to start the process. The adoption fees vary from $12,000 to $50,000 depending whether it's a local adoption or international.

So, based on these figures it looks like Rhea will be an only child. How dreadfully disappointing for us. I guess I have been living under a rock. I thought it would be much less expensive.

Re: I can't believe how expensive adoption is!!

• Keep looking. It sounds like you are doing DA. Our local agency had a cap on DA's at 15% of your income or 15K. It is a very reputable agency.
  • yes - it can get expensive.  But you might be able to qualify for certain grants and some companies have an adoptiopn re-imbursement.

In the US, there is also an adoption tax credit of about $11K

We are adopting through the foster care system in our state, and the cost to us is nothing.

• Loading the player...
  • There are plenty of adoption options.  You need to check with more than one agency and more than one avenue. We are also adopting from foster care and in our state we pay a $500 court fee, for which we get reimbursed.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Ditto all the pps. We're looking into private adoption and the lawyer we contacted is dedicated to making it less expensive that you would expect. We were also pleasantly surprised to find that our companies each have adoption reimbursement programs.

Keep looking!

• I guess I should mention that I'm in Canada.
  • Wow I must be really lucky then because the only fee I pay is the lawyer when I go to court.

Lana

• Yep, it's insane, isn't it?  There is no reason some agencies charge what they do, other than greed.  RIDICULOUS.

I also agree that there are MANY ways to adopt, and that there are ways to make it affordable.  If you really feel that adoption is right for your family, keep making phone calls, keep searching the web, keep researching different types of adoption until you find something that works for your family.

• it sure is, but like pp said, there are options.
  • It absolutely is!! My husband and I are really struggling with this right now. We have the application filled out and ready to be sent in but we are at a stand still due to the cost just to get started, we have it but to give all that money away is so scary. JMO but I think it's ridiculous. I believe some agencies take advantage but I want a family so I have to deal with it. I agree with pp's to keep doing your research though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFinallyMrs.G:
    JMO but I think it's ridiculous. I believe some agencies take advantage but I want a family so I have to deal with it. I agree with pp's to keep doing your research though.

?

MH has the same thought, and that is why he had an issue moving forward at first. He said it was ridiculous, and at first said he would rather spend $ trying IVF before moving onto adoption because he feels that agencies take advantage of people in our situation.?

• imagebrynmcnair:
    I guess I should mention that I'm in Canada.

I'm in Canada too and that sounds really high.  Our HS is the same as what you mentioned but the other program fees sound really high.  I'd ask a bunch more questions and also look around to see if you have other agencies you can compare with or choose from

• imagebrynmcnair:
    I guess I should mention that I'm in Canada.

Bryn, I'm in Calgary and you should definately keep looking.  Going through Children's Aid is a free adoption.

We are pursuing a domestic infant adoption and all in, ours will be about $10,000.  we are very lucky that my company offers a reimbursement program and will cover the entire cost as well. 

International is likely the most expensive option as the costs are obviously higher.

I haven't looked into it yet but I am certain that there are tax credits available as well. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It is expensive.  But it has been manageable for us so far because the fees have been due at differing times.  The application fee was due, and then 2 or 3 months later we had the home study fee.  Once we're placed, we'll obviously have the big fee, but we've had a little time to plan and save. 

We didn't fundraise, but collected a lot of extra cash via Craigslist and by having a garage sale.  Somehow, we just figured it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"