Baby Showers
Options

how useful are regisrtries?

do people actually buy stuff from them or do you find that they use them to get ideas and shop elsewhere? for those who have had there shower i was curious if people bought off of them?

Re: how useful are regisrtries?

• Options
    I buy off of them and mine was bought off of. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I never buy from them - I'd say about half the people I know use them for gift-buying and half don't.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have one at babiesrus and I don't think anybody has bought from it. I just can't tell. My parents did not buy anything from it and my mom was the one who pushed the idea into my head to get one.

I complained to her yesterday that I registered at the wrong store and that target has nice things that are more affordable for everybody. I think registry-ing at babiesrus was a waste of time for overpriced things. And that my registry is only a list of things for people to buy them elsewhere.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think it depends on your guests and their personalities/ways of shopping, etc..  I've heard some say several people shopped off of their registry, and I've heard that only a few (if any) bought off of the registry.  I also think it depends on your location (if your guests are close to the store) and if the items are available in-store and not just online.  I started registries at BRU, Target, and Walmart just to compare, etc...I found that most stuff is only available online and since that was the case I decided to go with Walmart since they have much cheaper shipping/free site to store and is the closest to my guests.

Most people are goign to buy what they want, especially clothes.  That's why I didn't even add clothes to my registry.  They want to buy cute.  

• Options

I always buy off of registries, at least the majority of the gift (I might buy an extra book or outfit for a baby shower). Unless there's nothing left, or it's all online only stuff. Then I usually try to buy something I know will be useful to the person.

I know for my wedding, we got a decent amount of stuff from our registry, but we also got some totally random crap that people obviously just picked up somewhere (crystal rabbit? Whaa?) I suspect it will be the same for the baby, we'll get some stuff we registered for, but there will inevitably be stuff given that we neither wanted nor needed.?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• Options

People bought the larger stuff off my registry, like the PNP, swing, high chair, gate, monitor, etc. 

The smaller items, people just picked out things on their own. (sleepers, pacifiers, etc.)

• Options
    I have been to about 20+ baby showers in my lifetime & always shopped off a registry.  Sometimes I shop late & most of the things are gone, which leads me to beleive that mostly everybody I know shops off of registries.  It makes total sense.. this is what they NEED, this is what you get them... that simple.  I never knew people were anti-registry till I got to the nest, maybe its a regional thing, I don't know.
  • Options
    I never buy anything that is not on a registry.  They registered for it because that is what they want so that is what I'm going to get them.  For our wedding the only person that didn't buy from our registry was my husband's grandma because she buys everything in Branson that is on sale.  She stocks up and then finds an event to gift it.
  • Options

imageallowry:
    I never buy anything that is not on a registry.  They registered for it because that is what they want so that is what I'm going to get them. 

This.

You should go ahead and register for whatever you want.  Some people will use it, and some won't, but you'll get to use your registry completion coupon for anything you have left over and still need to buy. 

• Options

I think people who have had babies lately realize how much moms appreciate people shopping off the registry.  The only thing I'll buy that might not be on the registry is diapers or wipes.

Unfortunately, baby registries are NOT user-friendly and are hard to find.  People can get annoyed and then distracted by the cute outfits, and then buy those instead.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I got a little bit of both.  I almost always buy off registries.  I think there are a lot of people who will want to get you something you need and a registry is a great place to direct them if they ask what you need.  Plus anything left on your registry at most places you will recieve a completion discount on.
  • Options

I almost always buy off registries and then throw a few "cutsie" items like clothes.

I think I'll probably register at Target and then do a MyRegistry.com list for Etsy finds. I'm also going to insist "Handmade and 2nd Hand Items welcome" be noted as well because the economy has hit most everyone we know in one way or another and I'm not picky.

Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've decided to have 2 registries, just to give people a lot of choice. ?But, then again, if people are going to buy whatever they want to buy, w/out regard to your wishes, then, well, you can't do anything about that. ?My wedding registry was a complete bust, and we mostly got gift cards and random stuff, which was quite frustrating. *sigh* ?I don't expect my baby registry to get many looks, either.
  • Options

I ALWAYS buy off registries, because that's what people want! That's the whole secret to gift buying, right? Buy what the recipient wants, not what you want (or want to give). That "adorable" silver rattle you want to have monogrammed for baby? forgetaboutit!  The mother will be beside herself trying to figure out how to return it to get something she actually NEEDS.

I know for my wedding several people (who didn't know me very well) bought me things they thought I "simply MUST have" as a new bride.... but I already had many of them, and the others got returned!

So if you're a HUGE fan of the boppy-pillow and think EVERY mother must have one (whether or not she registered) keep in mind that she may already have one, or she's tried one before and doesn't like it.Just because something worked for you and your baby, doesn't mean it's going to work for other moms and babys.

Occasionally I buy things off registries that I think are stupid! But if that's what they want, then fabulous: I find sadisfaction in giving them a gift I KNOW they will appreciate.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I always buy stuff off of registries when I buy a gift. We had our shower a few weeks ago and got tons and tons of stuff off it. I am pretty sure almost everyone got us something off it.

• Options

I think there should be an "anti-registry" so we can list what we DON'T NEED for people to look at! I plan on shopping second hand for a lot of things and really don't want to spend the time or energy returning 5 Boppy pillows and 3 Wipe Warmers!

Make sure your hostess has an idea of what popular items you're covered on too. That way if people ask when RSVPing you'll have a line of defense for weeding out some of those things. Also, tell your mother, sister, BF, those closest to you so if they are asked they can tell as well.

Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got a lot of things off of my registry...it at least gives people an idea of what things people have already gotten you (stroller, car seat, etc...). ?Most people bought something off my registry and brought an outfit or two as well. ?Who can resist buying cute baby clothes?!?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I always buy at least 1 or 2 things from the registry. I figure people put the time in to set them up and let you know what they want, the least I can do it buy from it :)
  • Options
    It is a mixed bag.  I found that some people bought what they wanted to irregardless of what I asked for.  Other people printed it and bought things off it but did not scan it at the register so I had to manually remove items off the registry and/or ended up with duplicates.  It is also important to scan some items in the actual store where you live and not just do the online registry as some items are available only online and not in store.  If nothing else Target and Babies R Us will give you 10% off whatever is left on them and you can use the discount to buy stuff you need yourself!
  • Options

I always buy off of registries too, and I try to focus on the stuff that they'll need in the first couple of months rather than things that are for older kids. Sometimes I'll throw in an outfit or book or something but the 'main' gift(s) are always from their registry. For my wedding, we only got 1 gift that was not on our registry, so I know our friends/family do the registry thing. The discount completion thing is very helpful too, even if your guests don't buy much off of it!

I also plan to not really register for clothes like pp said, because people will buy those anyway & will pick stuff they think is cute from whatever store, which is fine. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"