Health & Exercise
Options

Nettle Tea Allergy - Head's Up

I posted this on the TTTC board because Nettle tea is a common recommendation for women TTC.  

I have an allergy to Sulfites which I only came in to contact with in wine. (I know - the god's are not fair.) I found this out the hard way this fall. My face turns bright read and feels like it has a terrible sun burn. My skin itches terribly along my chin and neck.

I have been having this reaction for the past 3 days. It gets worse and then it gets better and I couldn't figure it out. It spread from the areas the sulfites bothered! I felt like scratching off my chest and my entire face. I have tried Benadryl twice which helps me sleep and when I sleep I don't itch. It also seemed that my skin was a little bumpy to the touch and normally I have very smooth skin.

I listed everything I had had to eat or drink and couldn't figure it out. No sulfites anywhere. Finally, this morning, it occurred to me that perhaps the one of the tea's that had been recommended was actually processed with sulfites. I pulled the tea out of the cabinet and read the nettle tea box. All organic ingredients and no sulfites to be found. As I was putting it down I noticed a tiny little area that said, in some cases, people may be "overly sensitive" to the nettle which can cause itchiness. It wasn't sulfites it was the nettle!

Ugh! I wish I had figured this out two days ago. I feel like I landed face first in a nettle patch and I hate nettle.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else gets the same reaction. Perhaps you will figure out the connection faster than me!
Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"